Sloppy Shifter

This is a discussion on Sloppy Shifter within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My shifter has a lot of "slop" in it. I bought the car used and it was like that when ...

Question Sloppy Shifter

My shifter has a lot of "slop" in it. I bought the car used and it was like that when i bought it. I replaced both this shifter bushings with solid ones from Perrin. It helped a little but still has too much slop. Would putting a short throw shifter help or would it be something in the linkage?
    2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Hatch
    Mods : Yakima Roof Rack, Perrin catted DP, Perrin CAI, Perrin shifter bushings, Perrin AP stage 2, Ebay/Custom 3" cat back, carbon Subaru emblems, blacked out tail lights, Cobb STS, Raceland Coilovers

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You need to replace the shifter linkage. I had the same problem, when in gear I had so much slop it would feel like I was still in neutural, I replaced front and rear bushings along with the linkage and it felt like new with virtually no slop. You might be able to get away with just replacing the linkage bushings if you are able to, i had to replace the whole linkage since the bushing was riveted in and not held in with a nut/bolt.