02 wrx, throw it in neutral and car loses power and shuts off

This is a discussion on 02 wrx, throw it in neutral and car loses power and shuts off within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Happens intermittently when coming to a stop a throw the car in neutral and the car dies and I have ...

02 wrx, throw it in neutral and car loses power and shuts off

Happens intermittently when coming to a stop a throw the car in neutral and the car dies and I have to start it right back up! I just bought the car and I have non idea why it would be happening. Please help me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, we're going to need a whole lot more information here.

Please read this sticky on how to ask for troubleshooting help: ***How to Ask a Technical Question!**
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I just bought an 02 wrx with a 164,000 miles. Upgraded turbo to a tdo5 16g with no modifications to fuel system. It has a front Mount intercooler. When I'm driving and coming to a stop I throw the car in neutral and the engine just cuts out and all my dash lights come on. It starts right back up tho. The guy told me he had all this stuff coming with it. Stock turbo, brand new struts and springs, plugs and wires, body kit (which I got along with stock top mount intercooler), Cobb AP tuner. Now he "can't find" all the other stuff I really wanted. The car is also not tuned since turbo upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by kyro300 View Post
    The car is also not tuned since turbo upgrade.
    This is probably the problem.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I bought the car with these upgrades, I haven't done nothing to it myself. But how does that link help solve my problem?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It's not safe to drive without a tune.. you need the appropriate fuel system as well. "The guy" telling you it would come with "wires" tells me he was just Bsing you. Our cars don't use plug wires.

I would be returning the car ASAP and demanding my money back.

I know he got over on me, and I made the wrong decision buying the car and now km paying for it. I work at an import shop and km getting what it needs and selling it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kyro300 View Post
    I know he got over on me, and I made the wrong decision buying the car and now km paying for it. I work at an import shop and km getting what it needs and selling it.
    That car could have serious internal damage now with all of those modifications and no tune. Compression and leakdown tests are mandatory at this point.

Honestly, with that high of mileage, all the issues, and all of the modifications, reselling it might not be financially advisable (or ethical if you're trying to pass your problems off on someone else without them realizing the car's problems). Have you thought about parting it out?

Fixing up a car just enough to pass a test drive is a practice highly frowned upon here. If you are planning to rebuild it, do it right.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson