Bugeye transmission compatibility

This is a discussion on Bugeye transmission compatibility within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Y'all- I'm new to the club, just bought a 2003 WRX wagon whose tranny went about 100 miles into ...

Bugeye transmission compatibility

Hey Y'all-

I'm new to the club, just bought a 2003 WRX wagon whose tranny went about 100 miles into driving it. I will make a proper intro thread with pics and some info but I have a question: are 2006 wrx 5mt compatible with my vehicle? I was chatting with someone on this forum a few weeks ago and they said it was bolt on, and I"ve done research and cannot find anything on the topic. I know 2002's are the weakest, and they get progressively stronger as it goes and that 2008's have a different differential...but didn't they start making 2006's w/ 2.5L? There's a wrecked car w/ a complete drivetrain, but I'm mostly interested if I can just swap the trans.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    2006/2007 is not a direct swap. The F/D on the 2006/2007 WRX is 3.7:1 with a 1.1:1 input-output differential modifier. The same gears are used from 2003-2007, while 2008+ (purportedly) received the LGT gearset, which lended a considerable bump in transmission strength. FYR, some 2003 WRX received the weaker gearset (classified by a transmission code that ends in -AA) while some 2002 WRX received the strengthened gearset (classified by a transmission code that ends in -BA). 2004 transmissions added dual-ring 1st gear synchros, which improves downshifts from 2 to 1 and an improved 3rd gear synchro stop which improves longevity during rough shifting in 3rd gear. 2005+ is virtually unchanged.

This is dancing around the issue, however. If your transmission quit after only 100 miles of you driving, you need to assess your own driving habits. No 5MT should be launched unless it's built with PPGs or the like. Unnecessarily stiff clutches (like stage 3 or stage 4 clutches) should be avoided as they put considerable strain on transmission. Flat-foot-shifting should be avoided at all costs.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/