STi Short throw
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi Short throw within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have been doing a lot of reading and most people compare the shift of the WRX to that of ...

STi Short throw

I have been doing a lot of reading and most people compare the shift of the WRX to that of an 18 wheeler. I ordered my WRX in Feb. and the last contact that i had with the dealer was it missed the April boat so it will arrive in May. Anyway they said that I could still add things to my order so i called and wanted to add the STi short throw and the STi shifter bushing the price was 295.00 for the shifter $25 for the bushing. They said that the shifter would be port installed and the bushing would be dealer installed with a $60 labor charge. So my question is, is it worth the price for the performance? Anyone have this in their car? Whats your thought on the part?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anyone? Help?

Don't get it, buy a Kartboy Short Shifter and their bushings and install yourself. Much better than the SPT unit.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I Support ClubWRX
    I went aftermarket. So did many others. Most of us DIY. The STI shifter replaces the linkage too. For aftermarket you just get the short throw shifter lever. Hence it is cheaper. You have to replace the front & rear bushings. Reportedly aftermarket bushings are better.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I am getting my twm shifter and bushings today, and my question is does anybody have experience with this company?

I Support ClubWRX
    Read around a bit. I have personally covered this about ten times.

The factory "STi short throw" shifter only cuts a small portion of the shift distance down. The lever isn't really any shorter than the stock lever, but the linkage is shorter. It's also very expensive unless you get a heavy discount on it. If you can work the dealer to throw it in for dirt cheap, go for it.

The only reason I'd recommend getting it for cheap, is that since the main difference is in the linkage, you can combine the short throw linkage with any of the aftermarket levers... Further reducing shortening your shift.

Go aftermarket on the bushings. Get all of them. I don't think you'll find a post anywhere that doesn't recommend getting all of the Kartboy shift bushings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Doesn't the Cobb SS also change the linkage, or am I making that up?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

From what I have seen the cobb double adjustable doesn't. But I could be wrong.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Cobb will allow you to lengthen the lever length independently of the length between the pivot and linkage. This will let you adjust your lever "height" while keeping a desired "throw".
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264
    Go aftermarket on the bushings. Get all of them. I don't think you'll find a post anywhere that doesn't recommend getting all of the Kartboy shift bushings.
    Except that Kartboy doesn't make shift linkage or pivot bushings (Turn-in Concepts does, though)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    No, just the lever itself.

OP: SPT is good if you can get it worked into the price of your car, but if they are charging you more and adding it onto the car after the fact, totally not worth it.

Keep in mind the SPT shifter will only shorten shifts by 10-15% by changing the linkage some. But an aftermarket such as Cobb or Kartboy, will shorten shifts by shortening the lever and pivot point and actually shorten your throws by about 25-30%. And it will cost $200 less...and it is a much easier install that you can do yourself instead of paying high labor costs.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Anybody try the twm short throw? I am actually waiting for the delivery right now and curious how well it will work, or is it fairly similar to the kartboy?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Except that Kartboy doesn't make shift linkage or pivot bushings (Turn-in Concepts does, though)
    I never realized that TiC made the linkage ones. I just got the kit from TiC and figured they were all Kartboy, whoops. Thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    OP: SPT is good if you can get it worked into the price of your car, but if they are charging you more and adding it onto the car after the fact, totally not worth it.

Keep in mind the SPT shifter will only shorten shifts by 10-15% by changing the linkage some. But an aftermarket such as Cobb or Kartboy, will shorten shifts by shortening the lever and pivot point and actually shorten your throws by about 25-30%. And it will cost $200 less...and it is a much easier install that you can do yourself instead of paying high labor costs.
    +1. The SPT one is a minor difference to stock. Again, I would only recommend it if you get the SPT one for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by R_Wrx21 View Post
    Anybody try the twm short throw? I am actually waiting for the delivery right now and curious how well it will work, or is it fairly similar to the kartboy?
    Why don't you use google? You'll find plenty of reviews of it on the interwebs. The OP was not asking about specific aftermarket lever reviews, and it is kinda taking the thread off topic a good bit.
    2011 STi Build Log

Kartboy or similar, front and or rear bushings, hand tools, 1 hour, GO!

Quote Originally Posted by R_Wrx21 View Post
    I've run a TWM short throw in my old Saturn Ion 3. Install was pretty straight forward, and I thought it worked well. No negatives to report.
    2013 Ice Silver Premium 5 door - Stage 1 E-Tune

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast