Kartboy bushing install trouble

This is a discussion on Kartboy bushing install trouble within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, i've been trying to install the Kartboy front and rear bushings for my 13' WRX. However, i seem ...

Kartboy bushing install trouble

Hello all, i've been trying to install the Kartboy front and rear bushings for my 13' WRX. However, i seem to have stripped out the inner threads for the rear stay bushing passenger side. Does anyone have any ideas or any clue as to what i can do to get this bushing in?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Are you sure you stripped it? Best way I found to install it was to drop the whole linkage out of the car then start putting the rear bushing in, then I put it back together inside and did the front bushings.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Are you sure you stripped it? Best way I found to install it was to drop the whole linkage out of the car then start putting the rear bushing in, then I put it back together inside and did the front bushings.
    Yup i'm positive, and that's exactly what i did. It made the front bushing easy as can be to install. But i even tried just getting the bolt started without the bushing on the car or anything. It is definitely stripped out. I'm thinking i might be able to get a tap in there with all the linkage out again.

Quote Originally Posted by superdonkey23 View Post
    Hello all, i've been trying to install the Kartboy front and rear bushings for my 13' WRX. However, i seem to have stripped out the inner threads for the rear stay bushing passenger side. Does anyone have any ideas or any clue as to what i can do to get this bushing in?
    i feel you man i did the same thing only with the driver side bolt. I ended up putting the oem bushing back and stripped the crap out of the bolts. i was told i need to tap and die the hole or use helicoil. Personally i'm just gonna stick with the oem bushing until i get a catback cuz in order to do of those thing i'm gonna need to take the exhaust off and i think the driveshaft? (please correct if i'm wrong it's the big black tube thing that run along the length of the car)

I Support ClubWRX
    The PS bolt is a royal PITA to get in properly. You're not alone. I've had more than one experience yelling expletives at it during installs on the '08+ WRX...

It sounds like you cross-threaded from your description, not stripped the bolt. If it was cross-threaded, the best thing to do is use a tap/die to get things back in order. After that, you need to be very cautious when putting the bolt back in. Personally, due to the PITA or the install, this is one of those modifications I urge you to leave on the car when you sell it, as it's not worth the hassle to recoup like $10-20 selling the part.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by jling0311 View Post
    i feel you man i did the same thing only with the driver side bolt. I ended up putting the oem bushing back and stripped the crap out of the bolts. i was told i need to tap and die the hole or use helicoil. Personally i'm just gonna stick with the oem bushing until i get a catback cuz in order to do of those thing i'm gonna need to take the exhaust off and i think the driveshaft? (please correct if i'm wrong it's the big black tube thing that run along the length of the car)
    Yeah its the driveshaft, and yeah you'd have a lot more room to work without the driveshaft, exhaust and heatshield in the way for sure.

Sent from my HTC DNA using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by bbrock171 View Post
    Yeah its the driveshaft, and yeah you'd have a lot more room to work without the driveshaft, exhaust and heatshield in the way for sure.

Sent from my HTC DNA using Tapatalk 2
    How hard is it to remove the driveshaft? Is it a simple few bolts and such or is it much more complicated that that

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The PS bolt is a royal PITA to get in properly. You're not alone. I've had more than one experience yelling expletives at it during installs on the '08+ WRX...

It sounds like you cross-threaded from your description, not stripped the bolt. If it was cross-threaded, the best thing to do is use a tap/die to get things back in order. After that, you need to be very cautious when putting the bolt back in. Personally, due to the PITA or the install, this is one of those modifications I urge you to leave on the car when you sell it, as it's not worth the hassle to recoup like $10-20 selling the part.
    Yeah this has just been a nightmare compared to installing them on my buddies 05 STI. I guess i'm just going to get it on a lift and tap those threads out. I just don't uderstand why the holes weren't drilled in straight originally instead of all cock-eyed.

Well update, i tapped the passenger side threads out and managed to get the bolt in. Drivers said became a pain after that until i used a screwdriver to pry on the bushing to allow the other bolt to thread. Shifting feels a bit better but still has some slight crunchiness to it. If i were to give any advice i would say to skip this install if you have a newer model wrx and do a Tranny mount and/or pitch stop instead. It is 20x easier and helps with the driveline slack a lot more than the bushings, as far as i noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

+1 to that and also big props to you man. You are the one person that i've seen on these forums that provided consistent knowledgeable info and a lot of help.