Couple of questions about the 5mt.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Couple of questions about the 5mt. within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I just hit 800 miles on my 2013 wrx and have been reading all I can on this car. ...

Question Couple of questions about the 5mt.

So I just hit 800 miles on my 2013 wrx and have been reading all I can on this car. I still have a couple of questions that are still a little fuzzy to me.

1. When/is it appropriate to down shift into 1st gear? I have been told to NEVER down shift into first unless stoped. I drive though a couple of school zones on my way to work and have to ride the clutch some times in second gear in stop and go traffic that is sub 5mph. So what is the best technique in this situation?

2. I have been practicing rev matching and wasn't sure if I am suppose to give in steady gas inbetween shifts to keep the rpms where I want them or just blip the throttle and then shift?

Sorry for the newish questions but this is my first car with a manual transmission and just want to make sure I am doing it right. Thanks in advance!!!!
    2013 WRX SWP Sedan 1600 miles!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I will down shift to 1st for anything under 20mph, but then again I have an upgraded dual cone first gear syncro. Not sure if the newer models come with this or not. Regardless, I would definitely down shift for anything under 10mph. You don't want to lug it, and I generally try to keep my car between 2200 and 3500 rpm (down to 1500 in 2nd should be okay).

To rev match you want to just blip the throttle. In my experience, the faster you do it have shift the easier it is. My car is modded, but usually to rev match I will stab the throttle to the floor and instantly release. If I down shift quickly as possible (within reason) it will be perfectly rev matched using that technique.

Downshifting into first at 10mph in my car is not happening. It just won't go in at anything more than a crawl. 2mph, maybe. Slipping the clutch in 2nd is the only way at slow speeds. Combine that with the turbo lag and consequent lack of torque low down in the rev range and it's an uncomfortable situation for the car.

When you're blasting through the twisties, all the car's faults are forgotten. But at all other times, this is not the easiest car to live with.

My car lets me downshift into first no problem, I didn't know if it was good for the car or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Combine that with the turbo lag and consequent lack of torque low down in the rev range and it's an uncomfortable situation for the car.

huh? What does turbo lag have to do with it, we're not talking about on the race track. I can drive my car around town all month without ever getting into boost.. in fact, my car is faster off boost than my wife's Civic is around town.

Quote Originally Posted by Doyen View Post
    My car lets me downshift into first no problem, I didn't know if it was good for the car or not.

As long as you're not forcing it or grinding, it's fine. It will be better for your engine (and clutch) to drive in a higher rpm range [2000-3000].

Yeah when I'm going 5mph or slower it slips in just fine (I have never tried it any faster).

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    huh? What does turbo lag have to do with it, we're not talking about on the race track. I can drive my car around town all month without ever getting into boost.. in fact, my car is faster off boost than my wife's Civic is around town.
    First of all, boost cuts in around around 2750-3000rpm. How can you drive around all month without getting into boost? The car's barely moving at those engine speeds.

But my point was that if you're in traffic, you can't just come to a stop so you can select first. If you can't get down into first gear when you need it, you have to take second. At 5-10mph in second gear, the engine is really laboring because without boost there's no torque. So, you have to slip the clutch or the car will just shudder.

First of all, boost cuts in around around 2750-3000rpm. How can you drive around all month without getting into boost? The car's barely moving at those engine speeds.

No it doesn't.. boost is not dependent on engine speed, it is dependent on load. Anyone can rev their car up to 7000rpm without producing any boost as long as the don't mash on the throttle.

This is the second time this month I have had this discussion. Just look at the boost target tables in the ECU.. if the throttle opening angle is less than about 40% the boost targets are basically nill, no matter the rpm.

But my point was that if you're in traffic, you can't just come to a stop so you can select first. If you can't get down into first gear when you need it, you have to take second. At 5-10mph in second gear, the engine is really laboring because without boost there's no torque. So, you have to slip the clutch or the car will just shudder.

I guess it depends on the car.. I can freely shift into 1st at practically any speed. It's no more difficult than down shifting into 2nd. If they really haven't updated the 1st gear syncro in the last 11 years.. well that's just retarded. We were complaining about difficulty shifting into 1st in 2002.. that's why I got the better syncro in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    No it doesn't.. boost is not dependent on engine speed, it is dependent on load. Anyone can rev their car up to 7000rpm without producing any boost as long as the don't mash on the throttle.

This is the second time this month I have had this discussion. Just look at the boost target tables in the ECU.. if the throttle opening angle is less than about 40% the boost targets are basically nill, no matter the rpm.
    Huh. Never heard that before. But I can't imagine driving anywhere at less than half throttle anyway. That sounds incredibly boring

Huh. Never heard that before. But I can't imagine driving anywhere at less than half throttle anyway. That sounds incredibly boring

Like I said, still faster than a Civic.. and I can get 30+mpg with over 500whp on tap.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.