faint but noticiable grinding sound when decelerating in 2nd
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on faint but noticiable grinding sound when decelerating in 2nd within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey all, so i currently own a 13 WRX sedan, 3 weeks old, about 1500k on it. The issue: Noticed ...

Registered User MercWithaMouth41's Avatar

faint but noticiable grinding sound when decelerating in 2nd

hey all, so i currently own a 13 WRX sedan, 3 weeks old, about 1500k on it.

The issue: Noticed today while decelerating in 2nd a grinding noise. seems to be noticeable around the 2500 2000 RPM range in 2nd. Nothing horrifying but noticeable, (happened to have the stereo off) Checked to make sure 2nd was fully engaged on the shifter which it was. checked to see if it did this in other gears but didnt notice the sound. I have come to realize 2nd in this car is a bit choppy so the noise is more noticeable if the car bogs a bit when downshifting to 2nd. Also disengaged the clutch after coasting a bit in 2nd which eliminated the sound (i kinda expected this.) Ive spent some time going through here as well as other sites for the WRX and noticed this seems to be a common issue among our cars, some had minor issues, some had nightmarish stories to tell. I figure i start up a new thread since alot of the posts ive read on this topic were a few years old.

Basically just wanted to see if anyone with a late model WRX like mine has noticed a sound like this while decelerating and or if this is something i should look into with the dealership. Grant it if its normal, im cool with the sound, it wont bother me, I understand that it could be my new car neurosis at it's finest. I'm more concerned that it could be a potential problem in long run if ignored.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You can hear 1st and 2nd gear whine a lot in mine. It's pretty normal. Dunno if your thinking that is the "grind" noise or not. But these aren't quiet cars. The beautiful thing about a brand new car is the warranty. If you think something is wrong take it to the dealer

Hey everyone! I just had the same problem today.. I have a 2013 wrx sedan too with just under 4000 miles on it. I was driving back home today from work and as I was on the highway I heard this slight grinding sound too. It sounded like my exhaust was grinding on the ground. I pulled over and everything looked ok, no check engine light or anything. I let the car sit for a minute and then began to accelerate again and then it made the noise again! I was so pissed so I pulled over and tried calling road side assistance.. I really didn't feel like waiting for a tow truck so I figured I will let the car sit for a minute then try again.. I tried accelerating again and there was no noise..the grinding sound was gone. I even tried driving very carefully and doing a few gear changes from 5th to 4th and back to 5th.. some hard gear changes too and there was nothing. I'm hoping this was a one time thing.. another thing that bothers me is I noticed the car makes a lot of creaking sounds in the cabin..sometimes the front dash makes noise and sometimes it's somewhere in the rear of the car.. does anyone else experience this? Besides that I love this f(*^n car

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    You can hear 1st and 2nd gear whine a lot in mine. It's pretty normal. Dunno if your thinking that is the "grind" noise or not. But these aren't quiet cars. The beautiful thing about a brand new car is the warranty. If you think something is wrong take it to the dealer

The whining i know is normal, theres an accompanying grinding sound with the whining. I hear ya about the warranty. if it gets worse or the neurosis gets worse ill schedule an appointment. i continued researching more into this topic, main thing im getting is bushings, heatshields, and throw out bearing (basically inconclusive and conflicting IMO). I just picked up the noise today when i supposedly didnt hear it prior to today. like i said not sweating it too much, just being cautious

Quote Originally Posted by MLWRX View Post
    Hey everyone! I just had the same problem today.. I have a 2013 wrx sedan too with just under 4000 miles on it. I was driving back home today from work and as I was on the highway I heard this slight grinding sound too. It sounded like my exhaust was grinding on the ground. I pulled over and everything looked ok, no check engine light or anything. I let the car sit for a minute and then began to accelerate again and then it made the noise again! I was so pissed so I pulled over and tried calling road side assistance.. I really didn't feel like waiting for a tow truck so I figured I will let the car sit for a minute then try again.. I tried accelerating again and there was no noise..the grinding sound was gone. I even tried driving very carefully and doing a few gear changes from 5th to 4th and back to 5th.. some hard gear changes too and there was nothing. I'm hoping this was a one time thing.. another thing that bothers me is I noticed the car makes a lot of creaking sounds in the cabin..sometimes the front dash makes noise and sometimes it's somewhere in the rear of the car.. does anyone else experience this? Besides that I love this f(*^n car
    Welcome to the world of Subaru's the creak alot in the winter. Embrace it, its not going anywhere unless you want to rip the interior apart to put down padding.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

Just picked up my 2013 STI last Thursday and it has a IMO a loud whine at 1st and 2nd and when you down shift to 2nd gear it sounds like its going in reverse. I asked the guy if this is normal since it was like this when I drove it out the dealer...he hasnt responded yet. Did your problem go away and is it a dealer/warranty issue?

Quote Originally Posted by MercWithaMouth41 View Post
    hey all, so i currently own a 13 WRX sedan, 3 weeks old, about 1500k on it.

The issue: Noticed today while decelerating in 2nd a grinding noise. seems to be noticeable around the 2500 2000 RPM range in 2nd. Nothing horrifying but noticeable, (happened to have the stereo off) Checked to make sure 2nd was fully engaged on the shifter which it was. checked to see if it did this in other gears but didnt notice the sound. I have come to realize 2nd in this car is a bit choppy so the noise is more noticeable if the car bogs a bit when downshifting to 2nd. Also disengaged the clutch after coasting a bit in 2nd which eliminated the sound (i kinda expected this.) Ive spent some time going through here as well as other sites for the WRX and noticed this seems to be a common issue among our cars, some had minor issues, some had nightmarish stories to tell. I figure i start up a new thread since alot of the posts ive read on this topic were a few years old.

Basically just wanted to see if anyone with a late model WRX like mine has noticed a sound like this while decelerating and or if this is something i should look into with the dealership. Grant it if its normal, im cool with the sound, it wont bother me, I understand that it could be my new car neurosis at it's finest. I'm more concerned that it could be a potential problem in long run if ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by fastbleck View Post
    Just picked up my 2013 STI last Thursday and it has a IMO a loud whine at 1st and 2nd and when you down shift to 2nd gear it sounds like its going in reverse. I asked the guy if this is normal since it was like this when I drove it out the dealer...he hasnt responded yet. Did your problem go away and is it a dealer/warranty issue?
    Dealership gave me some crap about it being differential noise. I'm hearing it in other gears now. I'm letting it go for now, nothing bad seems to be happening. It's a well known issue in these cars. Search the Nasioc forums on it. You'll find a ton of things it might be, and possible solutions, but IMO it doesn't seem to be a an issue that will be bad for the car in the future

Quote Originally Posted by MercWithaMouth41 View Post
    Dealership gave me some crap about it being differential noise. I'm hearing it in other gears now. I'm letting it go for now, nothing bad seems to be happening. It's a well known issue in these cars. Search the Nasioc forums on it. You'll find a ton of things it might be, and possible solutions, but IMO it doesn't seem to be a an issue that will be bad for the car in the future
    That's because it probably is just the differentials. You have three of them that are spinning at almost all times...it's gonna make a lot more noise than cars with one diff...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I noticed this sound in my '13 WRX a while back. I tried to show someone up at my dealership and as expected, I could not replicate the sound when I had it up at the dealership.

So far I haven't had any problems, so I just live with it. As everyone always says there's alot more going on with these cars so there's alot more noise involved. But I will say the tranny is especially a big noise maker in these cars.

If it gets worse(and you can replicate it) then take it up to your dealership.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.