Shifter Bushings
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Shifter Bushings within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Not sure if this is the right place to post this... I'm going to be installing shifter bushings on my ...

Shifter Bushings

Not sure if this is the right place to post this...

I'm going to be installing shifter bushings on my 2013 wrx here in the next week or so and i need some advice on it. I have researched several ways to install them but which is the easiest way if you don't have much mechanical experience under you belt? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jordan05 View Post

I'm going to be installing shifter bushings on my 2013 wrx here in the next week or so and i need some advice on it. I have researched several ways to install them but which is the easiest way if you don't have much mechanical experience under you belt? Thanks
    There are a few videos on youtube. 2011 and up should work for your car.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're not very mechanically inclined ... I would have someone else install them for you. It is not a simple task. Also just be aware (you may already be) that installing both front and rear bushing adds A LOT of vibration noise in the cabin under acceleration.
    2011 Subaru Impreza WRX (Premium) | EFI Logics Tuned Stage 3 | Cobb SF CAI | Invidia EL Race Header | Cobb Catted Downpipe | Borla CBE | PW TMIC | Grimmspeed EBCS | Grimmspeed AOS | DW 65C Fuel Pump | Grimmspeed Light Weight Pulley | SPT Short Shifter | JNA Front Lip | EPIC Performance Springs | SMY Cluster w/ Boost & Oil Pressure

I beg to differ. Shifter bushings are very easy for even a novice mechanic. It's a great place to get under the car and start learning.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I beg to differ. Shifter bushings are very easy for even a novice mechanic. It's a great place to get under the car and start learning.
    +1, this was not hard, just took a bit of time to rethread the bolts on the rear bushing.

How much would it cost to have them installed do you think? The way it looks is that it is just very frustrating to get them on....am i wrong? Also I am aware that it will make noise, i find the mushy feeling of the transmission much more annoying.

On a scale of 1-10 how hard are they to installing comparing them to sway bar installs.

(Ex. 1/10 sways 4/10 shifter bushings)

I Support ClubWRX
    How much would it cost to have them installed do you think? The way it looks is that it is just very frustrating to get them on....am i wrong? Also I am aware that it will make noise, i find the mushy feeling of the transmission much more annoying.
    I wouldn't waste your money on install labor. It's not that bad, just be patient, and do it on a weekend when you have an afternoon free if you have any issues. I got the front bushings done in just over an hour, and it was the first mod I'd done. The rear bushing is more time consuming, but I did that when I went stage II, so I already had all the exhaust bits off the car and out of the way.

Read over some write ups and videos to see what the work entails, but I think you can do it.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    On a scale of 1-10 how hard are they to installing comparing them to sway bar installs.

(Ex. 1/10 sways 4/10 shifter bushings)
    Sway bars are NOT a 1/10, lol. If a front swaybar install is a 6/10 with 10 being the hardest, bushings would be a 3 in my book, with something like an oil change being a 1 on the easy end.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38◊10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I installed mine pretty easily with a lift. There's a YouTube video that suggests removing the whole linkage assembly, that worked great for me. Also, it probably benefited that I had the mid pipe off for an exhaust install at the same time.

This was the one that helped the most:
    How to install Kartboy Shifter Bushings-2011 Subaru WRX - YouTube

Ok thats good new because I just installed sway bars and it was pretty easy.

I tried to take the whole linkage out but I couldn't get the e brake boot off to get to the screw without breaking something...

rear sway bar is like a 2 or 3/10...bushings I'd say is like a 3/10. Oil change is definitely 1/10.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Yeah,...this was a PITA to install. Ended up having to take out shifter assembly and saw through the front bushing. Still not done with the rear bushing because the bolts aren't matching up
    Last edited by jordan05; 03-24-2013 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wussola View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're not very mechanically inclined ... I would have someone else install them for you. It is not a simple task. Also just be aware (you may already be) that installing both front and rear bushing adds A LOT of vibration noise in the cabin under acceleration.
    I should of taken this advice...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast