advice on launching? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on advice on launching? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by EJ257 A clutch is cheaper to replace than a transmission. If one is going to get the ...

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    A clutch is cheaper to replace than a transmission. If one is going to get the abuse, you can infer my choice...
    That sounded very SD-GRish.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13
    That sounded very SD-GRish.
    Spiros is wise. I said it in the proper Spiros voice, at least the one we all believe is his...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Some say that his blood is pure unicorn jizz, and that the sneezes full recirc, all we knows is, hes called the Spiros.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    Some say that his blood is pure unicorn jizz, and that the sneezes full recirc, all we knows is, hes called the Spiros.
    I heard he once knocked out a horse with a single punch, and you can hear his thoughts anywhere in the world by tuning into 88.4 FM...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post

I'm so doing a user title edit...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX

I'm so doing a user title edit...
    With how often he uses his phone on the forum, who knows when he'll actually realize it
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

hey i was curious too on how to launch these things. i know people tell you not too, but i think it's a good skill to have even if you don't do it often at all. i emailed this around a while ago which was taken from another post. i can't seem to find the post. i'm not trying to steal anything, but here it is...

"There are two things you need to accomplish to get a good launch in the wrx.
    You need to launch under some boost,
    and you need to control the load on the engine so it stays near max torque rpm for the first few feet without banging the clutch and shock loading the drive train.

There are several variations on the theme and each person will discribe it slightly differently but you want to engage the clutch quickly and smoothly so it slips just a bit with out just side stepping the clutch, or frying the clutch by holding it at partial engagement. The newer 2003 cars have a flow limit valve in the clutch line so you cannot just let up on the clutch and break things. It slows down the engagement just a bit. On the 2002's you'll have to do that yourself.

One of the top WRX drag racers in the country describes the technique where you stage, and then let the clutch out a bit until you can tell it is just ready to engage (the friction point) is just a fraction of an inch away.

Hold at a moderate fast rpm (everyone picks a slightly different number) I use about 3000 3500 rpm.

Now comes the key to launching under boost.

You can only build boost under no load conditions when the engine is accelerating at WOT .

Just as the second yellow comes on, stomp the throttle to the floor from your stage rpm, the engine will take about a second to rev to red line. There is only .500 seconds between each of the yellow lights.

Watch the tach and as the rpm swings by 5000-5500 rpm let up on the clutch quickly.
    (you can't wait for the green light you have to start leaving on the last yellow)

Since you prepositioned the clutch right at the friction point there will be very little clutch motion, or shock, your engine will be very close to 5500 rpm when the clutch engages and under some boost because you floored the throttle a fraction of a second earlier. If you get all that coordinated you should have enough torque and energy stored in the flywheel so the engine does not bog.

Hang on !!! you will be accelerating at over 1 G and hit red line in low in about 1.5 seconds.
    Be ready to shift !!!!!
    The biggest time loss that keeps folks at 2.x seconds is a slow shift, you have to shift quickly to get back under power in second gear before you complete the first 60'.

Shift quickly and firmly but NOT VIOLENTLY !!! your not trying to break anything just be quick.

I tell folks to hold the shifter in their fingers not to grab it like a club, this gives you more feel and makes you less inclined to try to rip the shift knob off the console.

If you get it right its quite a ride."

Quote Originally Posted by santorex View Post
    hey i was curious too on how to launch these things. i know people tell you not too, but i think it's a good skill to have even if you don't do it often at all. i emailed this around a while ago which was taken from another post. i can't seem to find the post. i'm not trying to steal anything, but here it is...

"There are two things you need to accomplish to get a good launch in the wrx.
    You need to launch under some boost,
    and you need to control the load on the engine so it stays near max torque rpm for the first few feet without banging the clutch and shock loading the drive train.

There are several variations on the theme and each person will discribe it slightly differently but you want to engage the clutch quickly and smoothly so it slips just a bit with out just side stepping the clutch, or frying the clutch by holding it at partial engagement. The newer 2003 cars have a flow limit valve in the clutch line so you cannot just let up on the clutch and break things. It slows down the engagement just a bit. On the 2002's you'll have to do that yourself.

One of the top WRX drag racers in the country describes the technique where you stage, and then let the clutch out a bit until you can tell it is just ready to engage (the friction point) is just a fraction of an inch away.

Hold at a moderate fast rpm (everyone picks a slightly different number) I use about 3000 3500 rpm.

Now comes the key to launching under boost.

You can only build boost under no load conditions when the engine is accelerating at WOT .

Just as the second yellow comes on, stomp the throttle to the floor from your stage rpm, the engine will take about a second to rev to red line. There is only .500 seconds between each of the yellow lights.

Watch the tach and as the rpm swings by 5000-5500 rpm let up on the clutch quickly.
    (you can't wait for the green light you have to start leaving on the last yellow)

Since you prepositioned the clutch right at the friction point there will be very little clutch motion, or shock, your engine will be very close to 5500 rpm when the clutch engages and under some boost because you floored the throttle a fraction of a second earlier. If you get all that coordinated you should have enough torque and energy stored in the flywheel so the engine does not bog.

Hang on !!! you will be accelerating at over 1 G and hit red line in low in about 1.5 seconds.
    Be ready to shift !!!!!
    The biggest time loss that keeps folks at 2.x seconds is a slow shift, you have to shift quickly to get back under power in second gear before you complete the first 60'.

Shift quickly and firmly but NOT VIOLENTLY !!! your not trying to break anything just be quick.

I tell folks to hold the shifter in their fingers not to grab it like a club, this gives you more feel and makes you less inclined to try to rip the shift knob off the console.

If you get it right its quite a ride."
    sounds good. might try a few more times over the next few days. I don't want to destroy anything but if I do its all in the learning lessons

so I'm guessing launch control would be for NOOBS haha

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm wondering if you guys that regularly launch your cars are honest about that when you eventually sell it.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I'm wondering if you guys that regularly launch your cars are honest about that when you eventually sell it.
    I know I wouldn't haha

Quote Originally Posted by xblitz151 View Post
    I know I wouldn't haha
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Glad I bought a new one!

I Support ClubWRX
    This is why I am always skeptical when I read "adult owned, never abused" in used car ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12