Tranny Swap???
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Tranny Swap??? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I purchased a 2002 WRX in January. The previous owner said that the tranny synchros went out so he tore ...

Tranny Swap???

I purchased a 2002 WRX in January. The previous owner said that the tranny synchros went out so he tore it apart and replaced them. The bad part is for some reason it now won't go into reverse. He swears that he just didn't line the pin up right for that gear and that it will be a simple fix. Can anyone tell me if this is possible. If it will be too expensive to fix I might end up swapping out for an STI tranny. I would also like to know how difficult that is to do because I have never changed from a 5 gear pattern to a 6. I'm not sure what all that would entail

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    i believe with an sti tranny swap you have to do the drivetrain which includes diffs and axles. not sure how hard of a swap it is from there or if it is a direct bolt in, maybe some of the other guys can chime in
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    i believe with an sti tranny swap you have to do the drivetrain which includes diffs and axles. not sure how hard of a swap it is from there or if it is a direct bolt in, maybe some of the other guys can chime in
    thanks. Hopefully it's not too difficult, I'd rather not have to pay someone to do it if I can do it myself.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    There are different options.. the cheapest six speed swap for you would be to use an 04 STi transmission and an AT drive shaft. That wouldn't require all new diffs and hubs, etc.. although the 07+ STi transmission has better gear ratios IMO, and not only do 5x114 hubs open up your wheel options, they also come with better bearings. It's just costly, I would expect to pay around $7000 to do it up right.

thank you. Any idea about the whole broken reverse?

i know what its like to love to work on your own car, but at the same time......

if your not experienced with this sort of thing. esp if its your dd and you need it. it might be best to take it to a tranny shop and tell them what happened. and let them tear it apart and fix it.

but if you have time, ie its not your dd. then id say rip it out yourself and go for it. its the best way to learn

it is my dd. i will end up taking it to the tranny shop as soon as it gets back from the body shop lol. i hope this repair isnt as expensive as the last one.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.