trans?????

This is a discussion on trans????? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok guys I'm wanting to know if there is a way to make a sti or awd trans fwd If ...

trans?????

Ok guys I'm wanting to know if there is a way to make a sti or awd trans fwd
    If not do you think the fwd trans will hold for a few races at 300 hp in the back of a 1800lb car
    And yes that's 1800 with every thing but a driver

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wait wut?...

Anyone is going to need A LOT more info to try to help you here.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    You can make the RWD I think. I've never heard of anyone wanting to go FWD though. What is the reason?
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you making one of these?

https://www.factoryfive.com/kits/pro...nggearcontents

These disable the rear wheel transaxle, and use the front axle to power the rear wheels with a mid-mounted WRX engine. Pretty badass.

Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    An option is the earlier automatic transmissions; they allowed (temporary) disengagement of the rear wheels. Earlier still there were selectable manual transmissions also available. I see parts shopping in your future.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Are you making one of these?

https://www.factoryfive.com/kits/pro...nggearcontents

These disable the rear wheel transaxle, and use the front axle to power the rear wheels with a mid-mounted WRX engine. Pretty badass.

Yes I am building an 818 and I want 300 at the wheels do to having a little race against a bmw powered 240sx
    We have agreed on the two tracks buttenwillow race way and famaso drag way
    It will be a must to have I clutch I was just trying to see if any of you guys knew of any tricks

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wtfdmax View Post
    Yes I am building an 818 and I want 300 at the wheels do to having a little race against a bmw powered 240sx
    Ah ha, called it! You need to post a build thread on this post haste!!!!

As for your question, I'd say you're venturing into the "there be dragons" territory, as this sort of arrangement hasn't been done very much. Maybe look in sand rail forums? I know the EJ engines are popular in those circles, but I think most sand rails use bespoke transmissions. Worth a check, though. Good luck!
    Last edited by Rambo; 03-12-2013 at 01:34 PM.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Ohhhhhh nice!!! Please please please make a build thread. We would love to see this
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Well I Know every one of these fourms has a guru and I didn't want to have to do the real pricy route of a 911 trans

Hmmm...I bet Andrewtech would know best about something like this...probably worth calling them up.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Hmmm...I bet Andrewtech would know best about something like this...probably worth calling them up.
    Bremar Automation out of Austrailia makes a 2wd conversion kit exactly for mid-engine applications. They have some info on using a WRX trans for this application here:
    Subaru 2WD Conversion Kit - Bremar Automotion

According to them, there are racecars using their system with 320whp, your results will vary of course.

Another good contact would be PPG. Although they specialize in the gearbox itself, they probably would have some info on this type of conversion too.
    Pfitzner Performance Gearbox - Surpassing Limitations

Either way, please share your project with us, and what you find out. This a project I'd love to take on someday, and there are a lot of members who would be very interested in following your build!
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Either way, please share .your project with us, and what you find out. This a project I'd love to take on someday, and there are a lot of members who would be very interested in following your build!
    You guys could do it its really cheap in a manner of speaking and youguys have half the car already 10k for the kit

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wtfdmax View Post
    You guys could do it its really cheap in a manner of speaking and youguys have half the car already 10k for the kit
    Bump for any updates??? Don't leave us hanging here!

If my bugeye was totaled, but the mechanical bits were salvageable, I absolutely would do this project, but since my car is running great as is, it would be a shame to tear it apart. For now, it will be one of those "maybe someday" projects, but if we got a good build thread going, I think I'd be seriously tempted!
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon