3rd gear feels like a stick in a bucket of marbles

This is a discussion on 3rd gear feels like a stick in a bucket of marbles within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm concerned about my 3rd gear. Every shift into 3rd at north of ~3k RPM feels terrible ( Not exactly ...

3rd gear feels like a stick in a bucket of marbles

I'm concerned about my 3rd gear. Every shift into 3rd at north of ~3k RPM feels terrible (Not exactly every shift. But I can't pinpoint the circumstances surrounding it, so let's assume every shift.). It goes in but it sure isn't very smooth (like pushing a stick through a bucket of marbles). My perception is that it's gradually getting worse, but I can't be certain. I'd like to see if anybody else has similar shifting feel, and if my worry is warranted.

On a related note, over the past ~2.5 years of ownership, I've mis-shifted into 3rd 7ish times (this includes my wife's mis-shifts as well). I assume these incidents are related, but don't have any idea what could be affected within the transmission. Any education on this would be welcomed as well
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you're under warranty I'd head straight to the dealer. Hell, even if you're not under warranty, I'd take it to get a professional opinion. My third gear feels like all the others - small amount of resistance followed by a smooth "clunk" when it's in gear. I've got a Cobb STS and front and rear bushings.

I had the same problem come up about a year ago. Third gear would grind every upshift, and sometimes on a downshift. Take it into the dealer as soon as possible. They fixed it under warranty, though it took a few days. I don't remember what they said was the problem, but it hasn't come up again.

I Support ClubWRX
    hmm... stick in a bucket of marbles.... I feel like there are a lot of places I could go with this
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

take it to the dealer if its still under warranty. my 2013 wrx shifts perfectly smooth, no "stick though a bucket of marbles" feeling