400whp on stock tranny?

This is a discussion on 400whp on stock tranny? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm currently planning to get my 11 Wrx to around 315whp and 325 wtq, I've read that is a realistic ...

400whp on stock tranny?

I'm currently planning to get my 11 Wrx to around 315whp and 325 wtq, I've read that is a realistic number on the cars stock engine, tranny, and turbo. But once I'm there, if I want more, I can do engine upgrades and the clutch, BUT if I later decide I want more power, what can the transmission itself handle? Are there improvements I can make on that end of things?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

There's no magic number...it's all going to depend on how you drive it. Don't go launching and slamming gears...otherwise you could shred the transmission stock. Good thing is though, the 3rd gen transmissions are based off Legacy GT gears which are known to be stronger than the older 02-07 WRX transmissions.

Keep a couple things in mind; be careful with clutch upgrades. OEM style clutches are known to reliably hold 320whp or so without any issues, so it's not a major concern just yet. If the clutch holds more, that means the transmission is under more stress...so which costs more to replace? A whole transmission or a clutch?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

that's a good point about the clutch. I drive fairly conservatively, off the line I'm gentle, but then I like to row through the gears a little harder. I guess I'm just hoping 320whp is enough lol. I know the Sti tranny is really strong, but I didn't buy one because at the time I didn't think I needed lol now not so sure.

Rowing gears shouldn't be a problem and I bet you'd be very happy with 320ish whp. Start off with Stage 2 (downpipe and Stage 2 tune) and figure it out from there.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Ive had nearly 400 bh through standard 5 speed Wrx for 3 years. Just had it rebuilt (torque limited to 330 ftlbs) and still running original clutch! This will be changed shortly as its starring to slip in 5th gear a touch.