frustrated with 2012 WRX clutch

This is a discussion on frustrated with 2012 WRX clutch within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Need advice, we purchased a 2012 WRX and within 9000 miles had to have the clutch replaced because it was ...

frustrated with 2012 WRX clutch

Need advice, we purchased a 2012 WRX and within 9000 miles had to have the clutch replaced because it was worn, slipped. Now 1100 miles later same thing just had it fixed again. Subaru warrantied first time but did say it was driver error as they couldnt find any failure points, this time they made us pay $250 deductible and said same thing, driver error. I am ready to sell it, my wife is the DD of this car and she has been driving stick shift cars for 20 years. She said she doesn't race it, usually just drives normal, and does not ride the clutch. The service manager couldnt tell me what she was doing wrong. Any thoughts? I personally think there has to be something wrong somewhere in the system, how does a clutch wear out or slip with careful normal driving? The time between the first repair and second she was very cautious in how she shifted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Either not lined up properly or driver error. The stock clutch is pretty solid on those cars

Re: frustrated with 2012 WRX clutch

OP. The next time you are at the dealer, be sure to have the tech check the tension of clutch cable to ensure the clutch is making proper contact w/ the flywheel....

Quote Originally Posted by Mf645 View Post
    Either not lined up properly or driver error. The stock clutch is pretty solid on those cars
    The dealer said driver error also, problem is nobody can explain exactly what that means?

Quote Originally Posted by colotaco View Post
    The dealer said driver error also, problem is nobody can explain exactly what that means?

Did you make some observations while she is driving?

Quote Originally Posted by jsBLwrx View Post
    Did you make some observations while she is driving?
    Yes, we just went for an hour long drive around town and on the highway. Most times she shifts around 2500 rpm, she doesnt ride with her foot on the clutch nor did she ever misshift or grind gears or stall out or lurch or lug the engine. She has driven stick shift cars for over 20 years. She bought this car more for its looks than using whats under the hood. Between the first clutch and second clutch replacvement she has been more observant and cautious how she drives. So, back to square one, how is it driver error?

Yeah.... I would ask the dealer to check the cable and the tension

Also, 2500 rpm? Lol.... I do that out of 1st gear but the rest of shifts are done around 3500 rpm.... Just my opinion but 2500rpm would likely put the powertrain under "load" - there's no power down that low on these GR's. ..

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by jsBLwrx View Post
    Also, 2500 rpm? Lol.... I do that out of 1st gear but the rest of shifts are done around 3500 rpm.... Just my opinion but 2500rpm would likely put the powertrain under "load" - there's no power down that low on these GR's. ..

Hope this helps
    Yes, I'd agree with that. 2500rpm is about the minimum engine speed you'd want to be shifting at, there's so little torque down there. But I can't see how that would affect the clutch really.

I Support ClubWRX
    As much as you want this all to be the parts/car/dealers fault I can only think the first clutch or maybe the 2nd clutch was actually "bad". And I'd think more-so the latter or that the tech doing the install mucked it up somehow.

Have you driven the car? I'm asking because you might notice something wrong when she thinks it's "just a noise". My wife drove for 1000miles with a messed up tie-rod on her car until I took it to the store for groceries... Now I make sure I drive it at least once a week for it's check-up.

Agreed that low shifts are meh but that's probably not what did it. She has probably been taking it to the track and beating the crap out of it when you go to work. Plus $250 for a new clutch installed? That's a cheap new clutch! They probably gave you a rental car too