What happens when the front is spinning but the rear is still?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What happens when the front is spinning but the rear is still? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So it snowed today, had the most fun i have ever had in a vehicle before in my life! So ...

What happens when the front is spinning but the rear is still?

So it snowed today, had the most fun i have ever had in a vehicle before in my life! So as I started to pull into this parking lot I hit the e brake, got it side ways and did a huge doughnut! Right after that I was like... Oh **** What happens when the front wheels are spinning and the rear are locked up from the E brake. It was just a kiss of the e brake to get the back to come around, but still. What is happening internally that is allowing the front to spin and the rear to stop? And is it damaging anything? The differential or the drive shaft or... something?

I just wanna know if it's something I shouldn't be too worried about or maybe should never do it? IDK that's why I'm looking for knowledge from the informed Thanks dudes!!!

Subaru's Rock in the snow btw, I felt like Tanner Foust haha xD

After shredding in Arctic PA \m/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: What happens when the front is spinning but the rear is still?

Drift by the the rpm's next time and you'll have more control. Car should me fine. Maybe the ABS came in and locked it up.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Re: What happens when the front is spinning but the rear is still?

Be*

I Support ClubWRX
    It could cause damage to the center differential.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

i always wear my flatbrimmed hat when i snowdrift so i feel like ken block. ive only got to slide my car a few times around in the snow hopefully more this winter.

uhh e-brake?....

What do you think locked up the rear tires when you pulled that lever and then went sideways?
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

There are 3 diffs, front, center and rear. When you lock the rear up via hand-brake (not E-brake,please) the center diff is taking the hit. It WILL heat up under those conditions and I'd advise care to not overdo it. I've done that playing with no ill effects, but didn't use the hand brake, just liberal application on power. Had the car spinning almost on the spot. So, first you got to be sure you have all the space you need and double that for safety. Turn off traction control. Then limit the playing to short duration, maybe 3 minutes, no more. Do NOT slip the clutch and try to stay off the brakes. When traction is loose and all 4 wheels are spinning I would think it's actually less load on drive shafts and diff then regular driving. Anyways, it's unbelievable just how much fun it is. But that means you got to control yourself and not overdo it, it's just too darn easy. So far I've managed to not break it. If I ever do, the wife is going to take my head off - I'll have to figure out how to blame traffic...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by skinikko View Post
    Drift by the the rpm's next time and you'll have more control. Car should me fine. Maybe the ABS came in and locked it up.

Nah no ABS, and what do you mean by "Drift by the rpm's"? It's AWD so just kicking the gas on a turn will make the car push... It's no RWD unless you meant something else or have another technique

Yeah same here... I live in North Easter PA and we get like 0 snow I used to think that one was a hippie for believing in global warming... But the last two years can almost be used as proof towards that theory lol... we got like... 3 inches of snow this entire year so far and only like 7 inches last year... I'm thinking of taking my Scooby and moving up North lol

You didn't get my questions... The car is AWD but when I hit the e-brake, the rear stops spinning (obviously) but the front keeps spinning... I'm asking if that is okay for the internals.

oh? I guess I'll figure out another way to do my drifty drifts then lol

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterNBG View Post
    It's AWD so just kicking the gas on a turn will make the car push... It's no RWD unless you meant something else or have another technique
    Scandinavian Flick:

You didn't get my questions... The car is AWD but when I hit the e-brake, the rear stops spinning (obviously) but the front keeps spinning... I'm asking if that is okay for the internals.
    For the brief manuever you described, you're fine, but do not make a habit of it. As stated earlier, your center diff is coping with extreme loading in this situation.
    Last edited by Rambo; 01-16-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Nah no ABS, and what do you mean by "Drift by the rpm's"? It's AWD so just kicking the gas on a turn will make the car push... It's no RWD unless you meant something else or have another technique
    Learn to balance the brake and the gas. Or give it a little flick...
    It's possible to break traction in the rain on a 2liter Stage 1 WRX without the hand brake.. Ask me how.

Yeah I have no problem getting the cars wheels to spin, but because it's AWD it just wants to push you know... Its not RWD lol. Also this may seem very nooby but, do I have TCS? It's an '04 WRX, Because I was ripping around and sliding with little to know control and the only assist I felt throughout my hours of fun in the snow, was ABS. So either it's turned off or I don't have it lol. Thanks for the advice dude!

Also where I grew up, everyone calls it the E-brake or the floor brake or the Emergency brake. I've never heard anyone but brits call it the hand brake lol

Must be nice living in CO with all that snow !

ohh I see now, thanks dude! No more hand brake for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast