How many people here have smoked their clutch on their 2011+ - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

This is a discussion on How many people here have smoked their clutch on their 2011+ within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I had an 08 SI and a 10 GTI and just picked up my 2011 WRX last Saturday. I have ...

I had an 08 SI and a 10 GTI and just picked up my 2011 WRX last Saturday. I have 2 years experience and 50k miles of MT experience between the two previous rides and had no clutch/transmission issues. While this car is a lot harder to drive I find I get more feed back from it. The SI had a great transmission when it worked but it had a lot of quirks. The clutch was good and you could feel the engagement and the shifts felt good but that generation was plagued with 3rd gear notchyness and a grind going into 2nd at full throtle. The GTI was so numb, clutch travel was very long and you never felt the engagement. The shifts were good, never had issues with getting into gear but I hate having reverse next to first. The stock clutch isn't meant to handle the amount of torque the GTI has and thus there were a lot of failures on stock cars and especially if you went stage 1 or 2. I like the WRX but I've had some issues getting into reverse and the gas is a lot more sensitive so I end up reving way to high to take off or rev match downshift. I'm sure in time I'll get it (only been a week and a half) but I agree its the hardest car that I've had so far to drive. I've never driven an STI but I would like to try out the 6speed in it

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've been shifting right around 3000-3500 RPM. Is that normal for "grannying" a WRX? Trying to keep my baby in good shape.

I have ~11 years & ~150k miles of manual transmission experience, I just want to know how to be a good WRX owner
    - mikey

2013 WRX | DGM | GR | FACTORY STOCK

Quote Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
    I've been shifting right around 3000-3500 RPM. Is that normal for "grannying" a WRX? Trying to keep my baby in good shape.

I have ~11 years & ~150k miles of manual transmission experience, I just want to know how to be a good WRX owner
    As of now I'm using the recommended shift points in the owners manual, 15, 25, 35, 45. That translates to about 2500 rpms

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678