How many people here have smoked their clutch on their 2011+ - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on How many people here have smoked their clutch on their 2011+ within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Pool Runner Off topic, but just curious about what exactly did you not like about that car. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
    Off topic, but just curious about what exactly did you not like about that car. I was going to look at those when they came out but they wernt released yet at the time I found my dream WRX. I don't think I've read a bad review of the ST so it's interesting to hear someone traded one in for a WRX. One thing I can see though is that while the ST is hot right now, and hard to find. The WRX will still likely hold its value way better over time, dare I say the WRX despite the vague & reluctant shifting will likely be more durable over the long haul??
    I liked the car alot! It was the FWD that i did not like. I never felt totally in control of the car even on dry roads it would always want to go left or right not a good thing in the winter.. Main reason is i live on top of a very steep mountain and needed AWD! If it was AWD i would have keep it.. But i do like the styling better of the WRX too!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    The WRX is like a base model people mover, I see no reason why Subaru should lose money putting a considerably more expensive transmission, or redesigning the six speed to work with the cheap/weak differentials that come in the WRX. The front and center diffs are part of the gearbox. If they made it an option it would only make sense to make the option cost what it should, about $3000.

And to that effect, if you're so dissapointed with the 5mt, then sell it and buy a six speed. That's your option.
    Wow you really feel that way? If this car is just a regular econobox people mover then they need to knock the price down to about 20k.. The new Focus ST that i just traded for my WRX is advertised as FORD's new World Performance car! It is FWD , 252 hp,6 speed and 3,250lbs and it snaked everywhere! WRX AWD, 265 hp, and weights 3,208lbs My new WRX feels way more grounded and in control and like it has more power! If the ST is a performance car the WRX is a race car!..LOL Even alot of the new American performance cars yes have more HP but weight a ton.. I think the WRX is one of the best performance cars on the road NO way is it just a people mover! And the fact that it has AWD puts it on top of alot of other cars that have more HP.. Maybe the regular impreza is but not this car!

I Support ClubWRX
    Not sure if it has been mentioned or not yet, but maybe you guys ought to try installing a short throw shifter and shifter bushings. It is relatively cheap and I have read that many people notice the shifting is much tighter and "crisp" after doing this. Not entirely sure that will help you with burning your clutch, but at least the shifting will feel more precise. I would probably do that if I had a WRX.

Also, with only 1500 miles on your car it doesn't surprise me that you are still getting a slight burnt smell from your car as it is really just starting to break in.
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 01-17-2013 at 05:43 AM.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hmm. I've never had an issue with my clutch at all. When I drove the wrx for the first time it felt no different than any other manual car. (At that point I had a little over 3 years of m/t experience.. Mostly Hondas)

And I just skimmed through the thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned but the reason why we all have trouble going in to reverse is because there's no syncro. You have to do the reverse dance (1st gear than reverse or 1st gear, rev, then reverse)

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    Hmm. I've never had an issue with my clutch at all. When I drove the wrx for the first time it felt no different than any other manual car. (At that point I had a little over 3 years of m/t experience.. Mostly Hondas)

And I just skimmed through the thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned but the reason why we all have trouble going in to reverse is because there's no syncro. You have to do the reverse dance (1st gear than reverse or 1st gear, rev, then reverse)
    Ya me personally i dont really have a problem with the clutch or the shifting and i can find reverse no problem as well as the other gears. I was just stating that it doesn't shift as smooth as other cars that ive owned. Its got that gritty catchy feel in between shifts! But that just me being picky! Other then that its just fine for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Zman13 View Post
    Ya me personally i dont really have a problem with the clutch or the shifting and i can find reverse no problem as well as the other gears. I was just stating that it doesn't shift as smooth as other cars that ive owned. Its got that gritty catchy feel in between shifts! But that just me being picky! Other then that its just fine for me!
    Welp, just goes to show how much perspective plays a part, cause I think i remember someone else in this thread was complaining that there isn't any "catchy feel" lol.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Welp, just goes to show how much perspective plays a part, cause I think i remember someone else in this thread was complaining that there isn't any "catchy feel" lol.
    Wow..IDK about that..LOL There is def some catchy feel. Even my last car the ST i could shift with one finger if i wanted too! Not so much with the WRX..LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Not sure if it has been mentioned or not yet, but maybe you guys ought to try installing a short throw shifter and shifter bushings. It is relatively cheap and I have read that many people notice the shifting is much tighter and "crisp" after doing this. Not entirely sure that will help you with burning your clutch, but at least the shifting will feel more precise. I would probably do that if I had a WRX.

Also, with only 1500 miles on your car it doesn't surprise me that you are still getting a slight burnt smell from your car as it is really just starting to break in.
    im doing that when i change the clutch...at least doing the bushings, the shifer might have to wait

i have a 2012 wrx, and the gears always mashed when going into reverse. i was told to depress the clutch, go into 4th before going into reverse, then lift the clutch. problem solved. good luck.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zman13 View Post
    Wow you really feel that way? If this car is just a regular econobox people mover then they need to knock the price down to about 20k.. The new Focus ST that i just traded for my WRX is advertised as FORD's new World Performance car! It is FWD , 252 hp,6 speed and 3,250lbs and it snaked everywhere! WRX AWD, 265 hp, and weights 3,208lbs My new WRX feels way more grounded and in control and like it has more power! If the ST is a performance car the WRX is a race car!..LOL Even alot of the new American performance cars yes have more HP but weight a ton.. I think the WRX is one of the best performance cars on the road NO way is it just a people mover! And the fact that it has AWD puts it on top of alot of other cars that have more HP.. Maybe the regular impreza is but not this car!

Huh?? They need to knock the price down to about $20k? When I bought my first WRX the MSRP was $18,295.. I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I was out the door for like $21,500 something. And I wasn't complaining about the 5mt one bit.

Huh?? They need to knock the price down to about $20k? When I bought my first WRX the MSRP was $18,295.. I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I was out the door for like $21,500 something. And I wasn't complaining about the 5mt one bit.
    I wasnt being serious although i do think the prices of cars now a days are crazy! And im not really complaining about the 5mt even though i wish it was smoother! But you did catch me off guard when you said this car is just a people mover! Like its some kind of econobox.. I just don't agree with that at all..

zax
    That doesn't seem right... my 2003 was sold for $27,500 initially.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

That does sound pretty low.. maybe Motortrend had it wrong. I did drive all the way to ABQ, NM to get mine at a good price.

zax
    I want to see where AndrewTech said the 5mt is just as good or better than the six speed.. I seriously doubt they would disagree with me.

(although they would probably agree with me on the point that the 5mt is better in two ways, weight, and gear ratio.. and I'm fairly certain they would also agree with me saying that the six speed is stronger, and shifts better)

I never said they claimed it was "better than the 6spd."

It's not a where; I physically sat down with AndrewTech engineers. The statement they made is that the failures in the 5mt are not caused by case flex (which is a common myth associated with 5mt failures), but instead due to other reasons. They claim a properly built 5mt (i.e. PPGs, since they attempt to sell these gears) will hold power like a stock 6spd.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    The statement they made is that the failures in the 5mt are not caused by case flex (which is a common myth associated with 5mt failures), but instead due to other reasons.

Right, shaft flex.. another inherent problem due to the design of the transmission which cannot be overcome by simply replacing the gears. I really don't see how that is any different than if the case was the issue (other than the fact that blast plates probably won't do anyone much good, which has already been shown with a transmission that failed despite having both straight cut PPG gears and blast plates installed).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.