How many people here have smoked their clutch on their 2011+ - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on How many people here have smoked their clutch on their 2011+ within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by MainFrame The WRX is like a base model people mover, I see no reason why Subaru should ...

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    The WRX is like a base model people mover, I see no reason why Subaru should lose money putting a considerably more expensive transmission, or redesigning the six speed to work with the cheap/weak differentials that come in the WRX. The front and center diffs are part of the gearbox. If they made it an option it would only make sense to make the option cost what it should, about $3000.

And to that effect, if you're so dissapointed with the 5mt, then sell it and buy a six speed. That's your option.
    I disagree, the "base" WRX as you call it is marketed as an Enthusiast car, it comes with 265hp which is a lot for just an economy car (this is not an economy car if you look at mpg figures lol) Regardless if you think a good transmission should only be availible to those who can afford a $38k car and not at the $25k price point is moot. Both the VW GTi and 2012 Civic Si are priced similar to the base WRX and come with not perfect but decent gear boxes.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax
    God you are jaded. As I mentioned, AndrewTech would greatly disagree with you.
    On what point? Putting a stronger 5M/T in the WRX?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Re: How many people here have smoked their clutch on their 2011+

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    On what point? Putting a stronger 5M/T in the WRX?
    Yeah

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
    I disagree, the "base" WRX as you call it is marketed as an Enthusiast car, it comes with 265hp which is a lot for just an economy car (this is not an economy car if you look at mpg figures lol) Regardless if you think a good transmission should only be availible to those who can afford a $38k car and not at the $25k price point is moot. Both the VW GTi and 2012 Civic Si are priced similar to the base WRX and come with not perfect but decent gear boxes.
    apples/oranges

$25K WRX - 265HP/244ftlbs AWD
    $35K STi - 305HP/300ftlbs AWD

$25K GTi - 200HP/207ftlbs FWD
    $35K Golf R - 265HP/243ftlbs AWD

OH SNAP....The VW $35K is the same as the Subaru $25K....plus you get german electrical gremlins...yay!
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    Other than occasionally doing a hard slip start I don't have issues toasting my clutch at all, and I am able to take off from a stop without issue. It just takes a bit to get used to it, and not thinking about what you are doing the whole time....it just becomes natural.

Yes, I would agree that most Honda/Acura gearboxes have a very smooth transition and clutch engagement. My old CRX was very very smooth....like butta.

I do have a point that you are overlooking though.

I know the WRX tranny is not 'bullet proof' with high power like the STi, but I am pretty sure this holds true still....The Honda transmissions in the Civic/Accord/S2K were neither made to handle the output (HP and TQ) of the stock or modded 2.5L EJ25 motors, nor were they mated to a symetrical AWD system. If you have shifted any GM/Ford/Chrysler tranny in the last 20 years you will have noticed they are just as notchy and clunky as shifting the WRX/STi boxes (that includes higher end Vettes and the like). It seems that when you have more power from the motor, your tranny will have to be beefier to handle it, so the rowing is 'crunchy'. Compared to the measly 197hp in the top Civic Si, or 140hp in lesser Civic, yes, the S2k did have 240HP, but about 100ft/lbs less torque, those trannys did not have to handle the abuse ours do. In addition, with the AWD, you have no tire slip to help dissipate the initial hit of power. Starting any AWD car from a stop is difficult. My point is, you can not accurately compare the smoothness of a FWD/RWD tranny from a lower power car to the AWD tranny from a much more powerful car....apples to oranges.

I am not saying they did it perfect or anything....there are flaws to be seen.....just stop actin like a bunch of ricer Honda fanboys with this 'but my civic shifted so nice' crap....not even in the same league.
    Definately not a Honda fan Boi, lol. I really can't stand anything they've made over the last decade. Heck see my sig, I own another Subaru that we drive the snot out of so obviously I am loyal to Subaru. Just stating my frustration
    with the feel mostly of the clutch or lack there of. All of your other points are valid and I admit I didn't think of that perspective. The last Mustang V8 I drove seemed to be fun and easy enough to shift, but boy was that clutch stiff.
    Current vehicles:

Quote Originally Posted by DemonWRX View Post
    apples/oranges

$25K WRX - 265HP/244ftlbs AWD
    $35K STi - 305HP/300ftlbs AWD

$25K GTi - 200HP/207ftlbs FWD
    $35K Golf R - 265HP/243ftlbs AWD

OH SNAP....The VW $35K is the same as the Subaru $25K....plus you get german electrical gremlins...yay!
    Yeah but have you driven the latest GTi? 200hp in that car feels like 225hp, 265hp in the WRX feels like 225hp due to extra weight and drivetrain losses. Not saying VW is better, I owned an '02 Jetta 1.8t back in the day and I was in VW loaner cars in the two years I owned the car more than my own car. Their cars are engaging and in some cases provide a lot of value, but never again.
    Current vehicles:

I never said a good transmission should only be available in a $38k car, I'm just saying it's unreasonable to expect everything in a car AND have it come in at a cheap price point. It sounds like if you wanted a "good" transmission then maybe you should have bought a Civic Si or GTi instead of a WRX. Did you not test drive the WRX before purchasing? If you didn't, then you have no place to complain, and if you did, then you have no place to complain. I'm not sure who told you to expect everything for nothing, but they were wrong, that's not how life works.

I suppose you could buy a 2.5i or whatever they're called now and use the money saved to put a six speed in it. Then you would get the power of the Civic and a better transmission than the 5mt, like you want.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah but have you driven the latest GTi? 200hp in that car feels like 225hp, 265hp in the WRX feels like 225hp due to extra weight and drivetrain losses. Not saying VW is better, I owned an '02 Jetta 1.8t back in the day and I was in VW loaner cars in the two years I owned the car more than my own car. Their cars are engaging and in some cases provide a lot of value, but never again.
    I test drove a 2012 GTi with a friend and I agree that it drove pretty smooth and shifted nice, but I found myself wishing that "G" was an "S" the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    God you are jaded. As I mentioned, AndrewTech would greatly disagree with you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I want to see where AndrewTech said the 5mt is just as good or better than the six speed.. I seriously doubt they would disagree with me.

(although they would probably agree with me on the point that the 5mt is better in two ways, weight, and gear ratio.. and I'm fairly certain they would also agree with me saying that the six speed is stronger, and shifts better)

I Support ClubWRX
    Just to clarify....I would have liked to have gotten a 6spd in my WRX as stock or optional equipment too, but I don't think the 3rd gen 5spd is too bad...just kind of dated.

After I have paid it off, I may swap a STi 6spd tranny in, unless I blow the 5spd up before that
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I never said a good transmission should only be available in a $38k car, I'm just saying it's unreasonable to expect everything in a car AND have it come in at a cheap price point. It sounds like if you wanted a "good" transmission then maybe you should have bought a Civic Si or GTi instead of a WRX. Did you not test drive the WRX before purchasing? If you didn't, then you have no place to complain, and if you did, then you have no place to complain. I'm not sure who told you to expect everything for nothing, but they were wrong, that's not how life works.
    I suppose you could buy a 2.5i or whatever they're called now and use the money saved to put a six speed in it. Then you would get the power of the Civic and a better transmission than the 5mt, like you want.
    I started shopping for a 3rd gen in 2011, since then I've test driven 4-5 WRX Hatches and 3 Sedans. These cars are very good at doing everything right during the test drive. Give you an example if I even detected a slight bit of notchiness in the gearbox during the test drive it was masked by the cool boxer rumble, and I swear every car I tested "felt" quicker than after owning one for a few months. I kind of chocked up the shifting/ clutch quality for about the first three weeks as me being new to the car, and or the unit needs to "break-in" Then after 1500 miles I find my self saying after countless manual trans experiences and ownership ,did I forget how to drive one? Do I all of a suddenly suck at it? wait no, it's the car that sucks at it lol.
    Last edited by Pool Runner; 01-16-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    Current vehicles:

I Support ClubWRX
    I started shopping for a 3rd gen in 2011, since then I've test driven 4-5 WRX Hatches and 3 Sedans. These cars are very good at doing everything right during the test drive. Give you an example if I even detected a slight bit of notchiness in the gearbox during the test drive it was masked by the cool boxer rumble, and I swear every car I tested "felt" quicker than after owning one for a few months. I kind of chocked up the shifting/ clutch quality for about the first three weeks as me being new to the car, and or the unit needs to "break-in" Then after 1500 miles I find my self after countless manual trans experiences and ownership did I forget how to drive one? Do I all of a student suck at it?
    its probably felt quicker because you are now used to the power
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Drive a Civic for a month, then your WRX will feel much faster.

Drive a Civic for a month, then your WRX will feel much faster.
    Over the summer I drove a '12 Coupe Si and it felt sluggish, but I made the mistake of going to Honda right after test driving the Mazdaspeed 3. Made the Si feel like it was a Civic DX with tight suspension and a slick 6-speed.
    Current vehicles:

I started shopping for a 3rd gen in 2011, since then I've test driven 4-5 WRX Hatches and 3 Sedans. These cars are very good at doing everything right during the test drive. Give you an example if I even detected a slight bit of notchiness in the gearbox during the test drive it was masked by the cool boxer rumble, and I swear every car I tested "felt" quicker than after owning one for a few months. I kind of chocked up the shifting/ clutch quality for about the first three weeks as me being new to the car, and or the unit needs to "break-in" Then after 1500 miles I find my self saying after countless manual trans experiences and ownership ,did I forget how to drive one? Do I all of a suddenly suck at it? wait no, it's the car that sucks at it lol.
    As I said before, this is confusing to me. According to what you said, I don't have as much experience with different manual cars as you but I have been driving manuals for well over a decade and the car I came from was a RSX-S with what lots of auto journalists (such as they are) claimed was the best 6 speed they'd ever driven in a 4 cylinder car.

So with that background, my hangup is this. I can't relate to your complaints. Yes it is a bit numb, and the shifter itself not as slick as some, but I have no problem driving the car. I know where the engagement point is, I can drive it smoothly, I can drive it quickly, I can go up driveways just fine. Your comments about the engagement point "constantly moving" and how when you drive other wrx's it seems fine...I reiterate: Are you sure there isn't something wrong with your particular car?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast