How many people here have smoked their clutch on their 2011+ - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on How many people here have smoked their clutch on their 2011+ within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Pool Runner Does anyone else ever accidentally come off the clutch too late when up shifting to ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pool Runner View Post
    Does anyone else ever accidentally come off the clutch too late when up shifting to 4th and 5th? I find I do this on accident occasionally and the result is a painful jerk as my engine RPM is too low for the higher cruising speed in 4th and 5th.

My problem seems to be that I am slightly riding my clutch or easing off of it in the higher gears out of being an overtly cautious and careful owner. I simply find when I'm just cruising around town and not driving spiritedly I can't feel when I'm at the engagement point. Not to quote Fast & Furious but I sort of "double clutch it" like a truck driver. This car feels like it wants you to just be rough with the clutch, it almost wants you to dump it and get on the gas.

Kind of a funny story, before I got my car In Sept of last year I almost bought a red '12 base used. Car had 6k miles on it and dealer was asking an unrealistic $29k for it and wouldn't budge, even said I could not test drive it unless I agreed to a credit check or put down $500 Lol WTF.

Anyway the story on the car was that they sold it originally new to a lady the fried the clutch "twice" they put a clutch in it 2x's in 6k miles lol. She complained she simply could not drive it, so they bought it back after the second clutch (on Subaru's dime) I thought how could this be, but now I get how this cars clutch and stick could be a handful if you really arnt a car person.
    clutching my stick is definitely a handful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    clutching my stick is definitely a handful.
    Ya but that little midget chick had small hands!..LOL

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If anyone wants to know how this car is supposed to shift, or Subaru for that matter. I advise driving any Honda/ Acura product made over the last two decades.

I might have to disagree with that one chief.. my wife's 2003 Civic AT blows. I didn't like how it shifted in the first place, and now it's slipping at 139k miles.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Zman13 View Post
    Ya but that little midget chick had small hands!..LOL
    It's not a party til a midget chick or two get tossed around

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    It's not a party til a midget chick or two get tossed around
    LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by Zman13 View Post
    Well i just traded in a 2013 Focus ST in for my new 2013 WRX. That ST shifted like a knife in hot butter compared to my WRX! There has to be maybe better tranny fluid or something to at least make it shift smoother? Its like when i shift yes it goes into gear fine but you can feel something like trying to lightly bite right before the end of the shift! Really gritty! I still love the car tho.. Love the AWD and style better! So is there better fluid for this tranny? Sometimes that helps!!
    Off topic, but just curious about what exactly did you not like about that car. I was going to look at those when they came out but they wernt released yet at the time I found my dream WRX. I don't think I've read a bad review of the ST so it's interesting to hear someone traded one in for a WRX. One thing I can see though is that while the ST is hot right now, and hard to find. The WRX will still likely hold its value way better over time, dare I say the WRX despite the vague & reluctant shifting will likely be more durable over the long haul??
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

The six speed that comes in the STi will be plenty durrable.. the WRX 5mt? not so much

(if you wanted a good transmission, should have bought a STi)

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I might have to disagree with that one chief.. my wife's 2003 Civic AT blows. I didn't like how it shifted in the first place, and now it's slipping at 139k miles.
    Honda makes about the worst automatic, but they are known for making almost telepathic manual gearboxes. I had an '88 Porsche Carrera with 38k original miles on it, with the praised G50 gearbox and limited slip. To tell the truth my old '02 Civic Si shifted better to me. While the Porsche was not bad in anyway, the Civic Si's shifting was sublime, every cog was precise, you could almost fling it in gear with finger tips. The clutch had a nice bite to it and engaged nearly right off the floor and there was no guessing where the engagement point was.
    Current vehicles:

*Opps, duplicate post.
    Current vehicles:

Honda makes about the worst automatic, but they are known for making almost telepathic manual gearboxes. I had an '88 Porsche Carrera with 38k original miles on it, with the praised G50 gearbox and limited slip. To tell the truth my old '02 Civic Si shifted better to me. While the Porsche was not bad in anyway, the Civic Si's shifting was sublime, every cog was precise, you could almost fling it in gear with finger tips. The clutch had a nice bite to it and engaged nearly right off the floor and there was no guessing where the engagement point was.

Yeah, I've heard the Si MT was pretty good (never driven one myself).

For what it's worth, the clutch in my 2002 WRX (ACT HDSS) feels great and there is no guessing where it grabs, it's spot on every time.

The six speed that comes in the STi will be plenty durrable.. the WRX 5mt? not so much

(if you wanted a good transmission, should have bought a STi)
    Was not going to spend another $7k for an Impreza & I would have never used any of the fancy differentials which is where most of the costs are buried in. Truthfully if I were going to spend that kind of money I would have sooner been in a CPO'd BMW 335i or 135. Seriously the STi's 6-speed should have been standard with the WRX or offered as optional for like $1K more or something to that tune. I should not just have to buy the flagship Subaru to get a decent gear box.
    Current vehicles:

Was not going to spend another $7k for an Impreza & I would have never used any of the fancy differentials which is where most of the costs are buried in. Truthfully if I were going to spend that kind of money I would have sooner been in a CPO'd BMW 335i or 135. Seriously the STi's 6-speed should have been standard with the WRX or offered as optional for like $1K more or something to that tune. I should not just have to buy the flagship Subaru to get a decent gear box.

The WRX is like a base model people mover, I see no reason why Subaru should lose money putting a considerably more expensive transmission, or redesigning the six speed to work with the cheap/weak differentials that come in the WRX. The front and center diffs are part of the gearbox. If they made it an option it would only make sense to make the option cost what it should, about $3000.

And to that effect, if you're so dissapointed with the 5mt, then sell it and buy a six speed. That's your option.

zax

Re: How many people here have smoked their clutch on their 2011+

The WRX is like a base model people mover, I see no reason why Subaru should lose money putting a considerably more expensive transmission, or redesigning the six speed to work with the cheap/weak differentials that come in the WRX. The front and center diffs are part of the gearbox. If they made it an option it would only make sense to make the option cost what it should, about $3000.

And to that effect, if you're so dissapointed with the 5mt, then sell it and buy a six speed. That's your option.
    God you are jaded. As I mentioned, AndrewTech would greatly disagree with you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    What I think you need is a midget chick in the passenger seat who can operate the stick for you.

I Support ClubWRX
    Other than occasionally doing a hard slip start I don't have issues toasting my clutch at all, and I am able to take off from a stop without issue. It just takes a bit to get used to it, and not thinking about what you are doing the whole time....it just becomes natural.

Yes, I would agree that most Honda/Acura gearboxes have a very smooth transition and clutch engagement. My old CRX was very very smooth....like butta.

I do have a point that you are overlooking though.

I know the WRX tranny is not 'bullet proof' with high power like the STi, but I am pretty sure this holds true still....The Honda transmissions in the Civic/Accord/S2K were neither made to handle the output (HP and TQ) of the stock or modded 2.5L EJ25 motors, nor were they mated to a symetrical AWD system. If you have shifted any GM/Ford/Chrysler tranny in the last 20 years you will have noticed they are just as notchy and clunky as shifting the WRX/STi boxes (that includes higher end Vettes and the like). It seems that when you have more power from the motor, your tranny will have to be beefier to handle it, so the rowing is 'crunchy'. Compared to the measly 197hp in the top Civic Si, or 140hp in lesser Civic, yes, the S2k did have 240HP, but about 100ft/lbs less torque, those trannys did not have to handle the abuse ours do. In addition, with the AWD, you have no tire slip to help dissipate the initial hit of power. Starting any AWD car from a stop is difficult. My point is, you can not accurately compare the smoothness of a FWD/RWD tranny from a lower power car to the AWD tranny from a much more powerful car....apples to oranges.

I am not saying they did it perfect or anything....there are flaws to be seen.....just stop actin like a bunch of ricer Honda fanboys with this 'but my civic shifted so nice' crap....not even in the same league.
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast