How many people here have smoked their clutch on their 2011+ - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on How many people here have smoked their clutch on their 2011+ within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does anyone else ever accidentally come off the clutch too late when up shifting to 4th and 5th? I find ...

Does anyone else ever accidentally come off the clutch too late when up shifting to 4th and 5th? I find I do this on accident occasionally and the result is a painful jerk as my engine RPM is too low for the higher cruising speed in 4th and 5th.

My problem seems to be that I am slightly riding my clutch or easing off of it in the higher gears out of being an overtly cautious and careful owner. I simply find when I'm just cruising around town and not driving spiritedly I can't feel when I'm at the engagement point. Not to quote Fast & Furious but I sort of "double clutch it" like a truck driver. This car feels like it wants you to just be rough with the clutch, it almost wants you to dump it and get on the gas.

Kind of a funny story, before I got my car In Sept of last year I almost bought a red '12 base used. Car had 6k miles on it and dealer was asking an unrealistic $29k for it and wouldn't budge, even said I could not test drive it unless I agreed to a credit check or put down $500 Lol WTF.

Anyway the story on the car was that they sold it originally new to a lady the fried the clutch "twice" they put a clutch in it 2x's in 6k miles lol. She complained she simply could not drive it, so they bought it back after the second clutch (on Subaru's dime) I thought how could this be, but now I get how this cars clutch and stick could be a handful if you really arnt a car person.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Re: How many people here have smoked their clutch on their 2011+

This makes me laugh considering I have 105k miles and 303whp through the stock clutch on my 2003. Granted I probably have less torque than a stock 2011 WRX.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    This makes me laugh considering I have 105k miles and 303whp through the stock clutch on my 2003. Granted I probably have less torque than a stock 2011 WRX.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    I've driven a bug eye before, and for me it was a lot easier drive than my '13, I don't know if it was because those cars were slightly smaller or if the trans was a different design. I remember driving the 2.5RS back in 1999-2000 and it too was easier.

I also don't think torque has anything to do with it as this car feels about as powerful as my wife's 170hp Outback below 3000 RPM.
    Current vehicles:

I find that the clutch in my new '13 WRX is much easier to use than the one on my '02 Outback. That thing's release point seemed to move hourly, depending on the temperature, humidity, and the aspect of Venus. The WRX has the same issues with reverse, but I'm used to the "Subaru dance" to get it in.
    Last edited by Apraxic; 01-14-2013 at 10:21 PM.

I'm glad to say I haven't yet smoked the clutch. Nor do I have a problem with first-to-second or reverse. Fifth gear is my problem. My car does not like going into 5th gear. But the clutch engagement of this car is probably the worst I've driven.

I've only ever owned manual cars in the 18 years I've been driving and I worked in sales at several car dealerships over several years. So, I'm used to driving manuals. Never, ever can I change gear smoothly in my WRX. There's always a jarring as the clutch engages. I don't know whether it's the clutch or something to do with the differential, but it simply feels like the clutch is an on/off switch. The gear is either engaged or it's not and the car is going to let you know.

I don't really remember if I had problems when I first got the car, but I can definitely say that now after 15k miles I have no issues with operating the transmission of this car, whether I want to drive smoothly or otherwise. I have had plenty of experience with driving manuals, but not as much as you.

Obviously everyone's perception is different, but I really can't relate to the horror story you're spinning at all. Have you considered there might be something wrong with the car?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

i wonder if the older 5 speeds are more reliable then the current...that's hat it seems like at least

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    i wonder if the older 5 speeds are more reliable then the current...that's hat it seems like at least
    No I don't thinks so
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    the hill assist feature should be a big help in avoiding problems on hills. does take some getting used to though
    Sucker caused me to stall constantly for weeks. Turned it off... life was good. I don't like having the car decide when to let go of the brakes. My foot and/or handbrake do a great job without it.

I haven't read around much, but I do not believe there is an easy way to turn it off on the WRX model. Apparently Subaru thought that only STi drivers should have the luxury of not fighting with their cars "features"
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Sucker caused me to stall constantly for weeks. Turned it off... life was good. I don't like having the car decide when to let go of the brakes. My foot and/or handbrake do a great job without it.

I haven't read around much, but I do not believe there is an easy way to turn it off on the WRX model. Apparently Subaru thought that only STi drivers should have the luxury of not fighting with their cars "features"
    i think the only way to is to unplug the wire under the parkind brake handle

I have close to 200K miles of standard transmission driving experience, and I must admit that my 13' wrx is a PITA!
    Whoever said that the clutch doesnt bite enough is dead on imo, I cant ever seem to get the feel for what rpm I should be at to start the car from a dead stop. Too much and the clutch slips like crazy, not enough and you bog the motor down or stall.
    I am slowly getting better with driving it, but it still is a chore....

I had never driven stick in my life like I said and I have 4500 miles of experience and its no issue making it smooth anymore. Maybe there's something wrong with some of your cars..

Quote Originally Posted by rockstar4l View Post
    I had never driven stick in my life like I said and I have 4500 miles of experience and its no issue making it smooth anymore. Maybe there's something wrong with some of your cars..
    Well, I think there's something wrong with all of them. A design flaw. But if you have no other experience of manual transmission, you probably don't know how a smooth gear change is supposed to feel. I mean no offense when I say that, it's just that you have no frame of reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Well, I think there's something wrong with all of them. A design flaw. But if you have no other experience of manual transmission, you probably don't know how a smooth gear change is supposed to feel. I mean no offense when I say that, it's just that you have no frame of reference.
    If anyone wants to know how this car is supposed to shift, or Subaru for that matter. I advise driving any Honda/ Acura product made over the last two decades. The S2K clutch and gearbox might be the best shifting & clutch ever made. Subaru would sell- out of these cars and have people lining up on waiting lists paying top dollar if this car shifted like an S2K. IMO for what we all paid for these cars there is no reason the gear box should row like a truck and the clutch be lifeless, NONE.

I bet Subaru put a half-@rsed gearbox in this car in hopes of weening us all off manual transmissions so they can finally nail the coffin once and for all on manuals and put their CVT in the WRX's
    Last edited by Pool Runner; 01-16-2013 at 06:44 PM.
    Current vehicles:

Well i just traded in a 2013 Focus ST in for my new 2013 WRX. That ST shifted like a knife in hot butter compared to my WRX! There has to be maybe better tranny fluid or something to at least make it shift smoother? Its like when i shift yes it goes into gear fine but you can feel something like trying to lightly bite right before the end of the shift! Really gritty! I still love the car tho.. Love the AWD and style better! So is there better fluid for this tranny? Sometimes that helps!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast