How many people here have smoked their clutch on their 2011+ - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on How many people here have smoked their clutch on their 2011+ within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I smoked 2 on my first motor and half smoked the one I replaced last month when I replaced my ...

I smoked 2 on my first motor and half smoked the one I replaced last month when I replaced my motor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    This must be a problems for the WRX only. I have an STI and I think the clutch is great! That being said, I drove a manual 2.5i for 6 years before I bought my car, and surprisingly, the shifting didn't feel that different when I first drove my STI!

I have seen a bunch of posts on here regarding the reverse in the 5 m/t WRX, which sound very very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    This must be a problems for the WRX only. I have an STI and I think the clutch is great! That being said, I drove a manual 2.5i for 6 years before I bought my car, and surprisingly, the shifting didn't feel that different when I first drove my STI!

I have seen a bunch of posts on here regarding the reverse in the 5 m/t WRX, which sound very very annoying.
    Yes, the sti tranny is 100 times better than the 5spd wrx tranny.

I have come to the conclusion that this car does not shift smooth...ever! Lol

i wouldnt say its horrible or a reason not to buy the car its just annoying every now and then when it doesnt like going in gear. ive never "Smoked" the clutch but i guess you can say excessively slipped it to get up ramps lol. my cars touchy when cold too. pulling out after the car has been sitting for a while i have to inch her along and let the clutch out like 2 times and get into a slight roll before i can fully release it or it will make like a knocking, banging sound from under the car...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    i wouldnt say its horrible or a reason not to buy the car its just annoying every now and then when it doesnt like going in gear. ive never "Smoked" the clutch but i guess you can say excessively slipped it to get up ramps lol. my cars touchy when cold too. pulling out after the car has been sitting for a while i have to inch her along and let the clutch out like 2 times and get into a slight roll before i can fully release it or it will make like a knocking, banging sound from under the car...
    Yeah I don't mind the occasional "sticky reverse" and when i say "smoked" I mean foot totally off pedal and car not moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    I get that knocking too..I figured it was the bolts on the midpipe
    Seriously Subaru needs to do something about it instead if letting it get worse. It seems the hill assist is nice but ruins the clutch faster because you have to ride it a bit it seems.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't seem to have the same issues. The 1-2 change has gotten much smoother, and I only have trouble getting into rev. about 1 in 30 tries now.

I have, on occasion, burned the clutch face. The most predictable time is going on to ramps to due installs/maintenance. A few times while 'launching' (note that I do not normally do this, but there are a few places round here that require quick off the line starts)
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I would agree with the OP that the engagement point feels like it moves day to day, but its nothing that I dont adapt too. This is my first manual car, I had never even tryed stick when I bought it. I really wanted a challenge and it was alot of frusteration but really fun learning. I dont have any issues making 1-2 change smooth I actually find that to be the easiest shift for me. I pretty much have it down after 4500 miles so that all the shifts are perfectly smooth. Maybe the issue is that WRX is so different then the other manuals you have driven that its just taking you time to unlearn what you had on the other cars?

My hill assist works great, it doesn't effect my take off at all and I never have to ride the clutch taking off.

I Support ClubWRX
    My 2011 WRX was my first manual car ever; no problems yet *knock on wood* but I do agree, perfect shifts are few and far between but with 15 000M + on the clock I don't have any shift issues and that's after auto X and taking the car to the track. It's a drivetrain that you can't hurry I've found, in stock format at least.
    Drive Hard, Stay Driven..

I dunno...I've never had a problem with my clutch. But it's also a stage II exedy, not the stock subaru clutch. Honestly, I wouldn't drive my car if it had the subaru clutch. I hate them with a passion. I've had this for a little more than 2 years now, and the only time I have ever smelled burning clutch is when I taught my sister to drive stick on it. Plethora of other problems of course, but not the clutch as of yet.

I drove a 2009 WRX for around 30,000 miles prior to selling it a few months ago. I really can't complain about the clutch or the transmission.

The learning curve was pretty bad during the break in, but after around several thousand miles it had a great feel to it. I loved the engagement and the car shifted smoothly with the SPT short shift. That's probably one of the things I miss most about the car aside from the suspension.

Also, keep in mind though that I've driven some really lame cars with horrible transmissions. My 1JZ has a stage 3+ with a R154 and I hate it. I never cared much for the clutches on my MR2 either.

I wonder if the next generation WRX transmission will be any better than previous ones?

*Double post

Quote Originally Posted by SupraMedical68 View Post
    I drove a 2009 WRX for around 30,000 miles prior to selling it a few months ago. I really can't complain about the clutch or the transmission.

The learning curve was pretty bad during the break in, but after around several thousand miles it had a great feel to it. I loved the engagement and the car shifted smoothly with the SPT short shift. That's probably one of the things I miss most about the car aside from the suspension.

Also, keep in mind though that I've driven some really lame cars with horrible transmissions. My 1JZ has a stage 3+ with a R154 and I hate it. I never cared much for the clutches on my MR2 either.

I wonder if the next generation WRX transmission will be any better than previous ones?
    Geez I hope a 6-Speed is at the very least standard and the feel is greatly improved. They can't afford not to as the completion has gotten stiff since our cars were first released, even since the 2011+ updates.
    Current vehicles:

2013 WRX Sedan, Base, SWP, Wingless
    2011 Outback, Premium, 2.5i, CVT , SWP
    2011 Ford F-150, SuperCab, XLT, 5.0L, V8

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast