Flywheel or no flywheel change

This is a discussion on Flywheel or no flywheel change within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm using my tax return to swap out my whole clutch kit for the fact that ever since I got ...

Flywheel or no flywheel change

I'm using my tax return to swap out my whole clutch kit for the fact that ever since I got my car back in July I haven't been a fan of how stiff my clutch pedal was. A few co workers and I believe that there's an aftermarket clutch on the car, but no one knows for certain...one of the many perks of buying a used car...never knowing what the previous owners did. Now my car starts grinding gears once in a while even though the clutch pedal is to the floor. not to mention I can never get it in reverse, and it's hard to get in first. It's just been progressively getting worse so I need to do it soon before I need to buy new gears for my transmission.
    I don't know if the flywheel is stock either or even if I should change it and save a bit of money. The wife and I are trying to get an apartment soon and need 1500 down to move in so I want to save every little bit I can...so I'm buying all of the parts online at subarugenuieparts...disc, pressure plate, release bearing, pilot bearing and even th release fork incase that it's been chewed up a bit
    So would you guys recommend replacing the flywheel as well or save the 250 dollars. I don't want to have to replace it if it really doesn't need to be..\
    Or even if anyone knows how much it would cost to resurface it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I forgot to mention that I need front and rear brakes and possibly shim kits

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If you're changing the clutch you should change the flywheel too. Some people can get away with resurfacing their flywheel, and some do it only to have their new clutch destroyed in a matter of months.

hmm, could be from there being a pulsation still in the resurface perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    I'm using my tax return to swap out my whole clutch kit for the fact that ever since I got my car back in July I haven't been a fan of how stiff my clutch pedal was. A few co workers and I believe that there's an aftermarket clutch on the car, but no one knows for certain...one of the many perks of buying a used car...never knowing what the previous owners did. Now my car starts grinding gears once in a while even though the clutch pedal is to the floor. not to mention I can never get it in reverse, and it's hard to get in first. It's just been progressively getting worse so I need to do it soon before I need to buy new gears for my transmission.
    I don't know if the flywheel is stock either or even if I should change it and save a bit of money. The wife and I are trying to get an apartment soon and need 1500 down to move in so I want to save every little bit I can...so I'm buying all of the parts online at subarugenuieparts...disc, pressure plate, release bearing, pilot bearing and even th release fork incase that it's been chewed up a bit
    So would you guys recommend replacing the flywheel as well or save the 250 dollars. I don't want to have to replace it if it really doesn't need to be..\
    Or even if anyone knows how much it would cost to resurface it?
    I have to replace my clutch as well. I'm asking myself the same question: should I just have the flywheel resurfaced, or should I spend the $250 and get a new one? Since this in an old post, I'm wondering what you did and how it turned out for you. I've read on here that resurfacing is not recommended, but I don't just have $250 to drop!

I haven't replaced it just yet, although the clutch is still slipping it's holding up just fine unless boosting in 5th gear. But when I replace it I'm going to do the flywheel as well. Better safe then sorry