light weight rear drive shaft???

This is a discussion on light weight rear drive shaft??? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; has anybody heard of/ seen/used/ installed or dyno'd a trans to rear diff lightweight or lightened driveshaft? its a common ...

light weight rear drive shaft???

has anybody heard of/ seen/used/ installed or dyno'd a trans to rear diff lightweight or lightened driveshaft? its a common 2WD mod and ive only seen lightweight pullys and flywheel assembly. im sure its a costly mod for a stocker but just curious, how much weight can you shave from driveline parts without affecting daily driveability?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Check out Drive Shaft Shop (DSS). They make both aluminum and carbon fiber driveshafts for the WRX. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the aluminum because it is 3" diameter (which is larger than stock). You have to take a mallet to the tunnel to make it fit, and the increased diameter offsets the fact that it's lighter. I know a few people running the carbon fiber one and they all seem pretty pleased with it.

The main advantage to an aftermarket driveshaft for our cars isn't the decreased weight, but the fact that it will be one solid piece rather than two with a joint like the stock one.. the big difference is that it eliminates a lot of the drive line slop.

If the $1000+ price tag is too steep you can always look for a local shop to make you a one off steel driveshaft for much less $$. Just make sure it's properly balanced.

id do it in a second if i had the capitol. maybe once the car is paid for and i start going to autocross events more than once or twice. i didnt notice the third ujoint in the shaft the other day, i really have to start paying more attention under car.

if i do have a steel shaft made do i need to shim anything for proper shaft alignment? it really makes no sense for a third joint unless there is a kink in the shaft. so other than fixing slop....this sounds like a one of those fixes like the up pipe. do it for the 'i fixed it first before something in the middle broke and took out something else more expensive followed by crash" reliability. even if i am running stock power it sounds great!

why cant they just build'em lined up with a single slip yoke on one end, old vette torque tube style. that diff isnt going too far away! lol

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You shouldn't need to shim it or anything if they build it right.. Most places will want to use your stock driveshaft to take measurements from and make sure they get it just right to drop in.

I don't know of anyone in the Subaru world other than drag racers with large turbo setups that has had an OEM driveshaft fail (not that it hasn't happened, but must be very rare). So I wouldn't really consider it a preventative maintience upgrade type of thing like the uppipe. Really, the difference shouldn't be that much on a relatively unmodded car, but for around $250-$300 a shop should charge to make one I would say it's a worthwhile mod. Especially if you're bugged by the slop in the OE driveline.

It's not a common mod because for the average driver the cost/benefit isn't really there compared to something like a turbo swap.

i dont notice the slop so much in my car unless the clutch does its studder thing(reminds me of a heat warped brake rotor) and there is a bit of driveline slop from the chatter but normally no. i admit my seat time is low and im still learning the ins-n-outs of my little wagon. having a newer car to compare to would be nice.

i still like the idea though, as much as hearing about the surviveability of the factory piece ill look into it. i like a tight ride even if it has high mileage and chopping some slop thats robbing proper hp delivery like that might even save some wear on the rear diff. ive learned the hard way with other cars that banging things with torque leads to high repair bills and trips to out of state junkyards for site unseen parts lol.

i think my earlier worries come from my somewhat jaded opinions of three piece drivelines after fixing sooooo many overloaded oilfield duallys and tunner pickups out here. my high milage 02 wagon is a swiss clock compared to some 12's ive been under lately.

wait....is there a slip yoke at the trans? again i was fixed on cleaning up someone elses poor job and antifreeze leaking from hoses so i didnt notice> IRS given and a fixed rear diff there is got to be some give n take somewhere right?

nm i found it. right after the carrier bearing. looked right at it several times.my bad