What clutch should I use?

This is a discussion on What clutch should I use? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I've got a 2002 wrx sedan and I've gotten it up to 285hp/271tq. My clutch is starting to slip ...

Unhappy What clutch should I use?

Hello, I've got a 2002 wrx sedan and I've gotten it up to 285hp/271tq. My clutch is starting to slip really bad now, its been slipping for a while and now its time for a new one finally!! what clutch would you recommend for me? i would like to stay under $300 and the tranny is stock. is that to much hp for the stock tranny? thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    $300 or less isn't going to happen.

Exedy StageI or OE replacement
    New OE flywheel
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    History will tell whether your gearbox will hold; I can't. It's up to you to some extent.

If your clutch only now started slipping, after ten years, it's a good clutch. I'd replace it with OEM or the OEM Exedy. Only if it were to fail again and soon would I look for a different clutch (notice I didn't say "upgraded," I said "different" and I believe I did so for good reason).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

As Matt (EJ) says, Exedy OEM replacement would be your best bet.

When you're pushing a fair amount of power, which is cheaper and easier to replace? A clutch or a whole transmission?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Ok, thanks for the help!

I Support ClubWRX
    Exedy OEM or stage 1

OEM flywheel.

Click the link in my sig to get an idea of what is involved. There will be a few more steps since your car is a 2.0l.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Lots of good advice here (that I hope you're going to follow) to stick with OEM/Exedy...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading