Future Shifting Advice please

This is a discussion on Future Shifting Advice please within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Happy New Year, just had a quick question and yes I've read my manual lol My clutch started slipping, a ...

Happy New Year, just had a quick question and yes I've read my manual lol My clutch started slipping, a mechanic told me its because i was low rpming it, babying the car to much. One, is that bs, I usually shift at the minimum of 3000 rpm's and that's only at midnight when I'm driving by cops haha two what is the right rpm's to shift my previous standard was a 97 civic and i was without a rpm gauge. The owners manual says suggested mph and maximum mph, the suggested its lower then 3000 rpm's. Thanks for your time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

I shift at 2500-2700 normally
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Daily driving i shift my OBXT around 3-3500 rpms..... I do believe that every car has a focal point for its shifting point. I think you really just need to find it.

Welcome to the boards, love finding members from the Merrimack Valley Area.
    Rambo ~ I scratched off my VIN plates. Weight savings.

Daily driving i shift my OBXT around 3-3500 rpms..... I do believe that every car has a focal point for its shifting point. I think you really just need to find it.

Welcome to the boards, love finding members from the Merrimack Valley Area.
    Rambo ~ I scratched off my VIN plates. Weight savings.

I would think if you beat on it then ya your clutch can wear prematurely. Not if you're shifting early

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah i dont think that shifting at those rpms will cause more problems. i shift around 2500-3000 normally and my clutch has been fine
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    I shift by 'feel', but that translates to around 3-3500 rpm for daily driving. I think you would have to be shifting at a really really low rpm to feel the clutch slip ... is the car new? Could it be a clutch issue - sometimes you can have a bum clutch - it happens. Do you ride your clutch at all, take too long to let it out, push it in too early when braking?

Re: Future Shifting Advice please

Quote Originally Posted by Sheleileigh Law View Post
    I shift by 'feel', but that translates to around 3-3500 rpm for daily driving. I think you would have to be shifting at a really really low rpm to feel the clutch slip ... is the car new? Could it be a clutch issue - sometimes you can have a bum clutch - it happens. Do you ride your clutch at all, take too long to let it out, push it in too early when braking?
    Everything said here x2

The only way the clutch will be messed up from low rpms is if you are shifting right after you would let off. Even then, 2nd will still catch no problem.

So unless you can't engage and disengage properly, then it's pretty hard to mess it up at stock power.

Thank you all for your replies, definitely helpful advice and feedback. As far as how i drive, when i shift i feel as though most of the time(I'm not perfect) my timing is good, push the clutch in, shift the gear, i make sure i never have the clutch engaged when hitting the gas pedal. I down shift a lot when slowing down, i don't know if that would necessarily burn a clutch out, I only put about 2500 miles on it since I purchased the car in September. The clutch supposedly only had 5,000 miles on it, then it sat for 8 months before I bought it because the owner lost their license, he personally purchased and had the current clutch installed, maybe he didn't break it in properly? Thanks again for the replies.

Re: Future Shifting Advice please

Down shifting will put strain on the clutch and wear it out... Best thing to know is... Brakes cost alot less than a tranny/clutch

Double clutch when down shifting. Much smoother anyways ;-)

Registered User Sheleileigh Law's Avatar
    Double declutch OR to save the clutch, give the gas padel a 'bap!' when you have the clutch in to up the rps so you rev match. Either way you wont mash the gears and with the 'bap!' method, you won't wear your clutch. My Dad taught me both ways, so I do both, depending on mood and situation. I 'bap!' more than double-declutch.

I also wonder whether the previous owner couldn't shift properly - THAT could be your issue.

^ previous owner, most likely. Shifting at lower RPMs wouldn't hurt anything. Generally, I shift at 2.3-2.7. IF I want lots of power, shifting happens at as high as 6k. But normally at low rpms. Also, try to keep the difference between engine and gearbox speeds easy. Makes for smoother shift, clutch engagement, drive train stress and comfort for passengers.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Ok, thank you for all the advice. What sucks is I wont be driving my car for another month, don't wont to deal with the slipping clutch until I have the money to bring it to the shop. I still go for a cruise around the block once a week just so my car remembers its alive lol miss driving it though =/

Quote Originally Posted by WRX978 View Post
    I usually shift at the minimum of 3000 rpm's and that's only at midnight when I'm driving by cops haha
    if this is the case then it sounds like you drive your car excessively hard. so premature clutch wear is to be expected. what year is your car? mods? miles? these would help....