Noisy driveline

This is a discussion on Noisy driveline within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have been noticing lately that my WRX drive line is noisy. When I let off the accelerator I hear ...

Noisy driveline

I have been noticing lately that my WRX drive line is noisy. When I let off the accelerator I hear some whining. I have read that this is normal in these cars but I have never really noticed it before. Also when i'm shifting I can hear a noise that seems like the clutch engaging/disengaging. It's a slight clunk but I don't hear it if I let the clutch out slow enough. Also I never hear it starting from a stop. It's just from 1-2-3 and sometimes 4. (It's not the rear differential.)

UPDATE:
    I have a noise that's a little clunk or tap sound when I let out the clutch. It sounds like the clutch engaging if that makes sense. If I have my car in neutral and slowly let out the clutch I can't hear it. It only happens when you let the clutch out modestly fast. If the car is not running it does not make the sound. It only happens when the engine is running? It sound like its coming from the transmission area. It's not the rear end clunking because it happens when the car is just sitting stationary.

Thanks,
    Zach
    Last edited by zach1288; 01-03-2013 at 10:10 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Anyone?

I Support ClubWRX
    The whine is almost certainly normal. It gets a lot louder once you start replacing the driveline bushings.

Usually the clunking is the rear differential shifting or the carrier bearing. If it is really coming from the transmission area you should check it out - check out the motor mounts transmission mount etc.. It could be as simple as the DP hitting the trans or something. If you have a warranty take it in, or otherwise poke around and see if you can find anything.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

If I'm idling in neutral and I push the clutch in and out I can hear the clunk, but If I shut the car off and do the same thing I cannot hear the clunk?

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmmm - I don't know. That is the kind of thing I would go have checked out myself.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru transmissions are notoriously loud. Mine whines more than a spoiled child.

With the introduction of a stiffer transmission mount, cross-member bushings, shifter bushings, and pitch stop, the noise level increased exponentially. It's part of the charm
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I have a noise that's a little clunk or tap sound when I let out the clutch. It sounds like the clutch engaging if that makes sense. If I have my car in neutral and slowly let out the clutch I can't hear it. It only happens when you let the clutch out modestly fast. If the car is not running it does not make the sound. It only happens when the engine is running? It sound like its coming from the transmission area. It's not the rear end clunking because it happens when the car is just sitting stationary.

Quote Originally Posted by zach1288 View Post
    Here is a video sorry for the quality. You can hear the sound the best when the camera is near the sideskirt/under the car:

http://youtu.be/40wuIr1HNIo
    Last edited by zach1288; 01-04-2013 at 05:51 PM.

I just purchased my 2011 wrx and as I was driving to work today half way through my trip I noticed a strange whine that comes from the front, and is only happening while accelerating at higher RPM's any ideas what this could be?

its normal. my 2013 makes the same noises. remember. your 26k wrx or 36k sti is still based on a 16k impreza. its not gonna be as smooth or quiet as a bmw

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    its normal. my 2013 makes the same noises. remember. your 26k wrx or 36k sti is still based on a 16k impreza. its not gonna be as smooth or quiet as a bmw
    Call me crazy, but I prefer the louder noises from the transmission.

Yeah with Subarus...if your driveline is being quiet, THEN you have a cause to be concerned.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying