Transmission build
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Transmission build within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been looking around because it seems like a lot of people don't fancy the 5spd over the sti 6spd ...

Registered User xcelerated010026's Avatar

Transmission build

I've been looking around because it seems like a lot of people don't fancy the 5spd over the sti 6spd manual. I just bought a 2013 wrx and the 5spd seems fine to me. I'm planning my first mods this June/July (once i get 4-5k miles on the car). I've spoken with ESP in sterling, ma about what I'd like to get done and we're looking at 330ish awhp before cracking the block open. But back to the transmission, PPG seems to make some pretty heavy duty stuff why does it seem like everyone would rather have the stock sti trans then a purpose built 5spd capable of handling 600++hp??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Because you cannot build the 5mt capable of handling 600++hp. Even with PPG or Albins gears people still experience case flex and gear failure at power levels as low as 450wtq. Moore Performance has made "Blast Plates" that are supposed to help secure the transmission and help prevent the case from flexing, but last I heard someone broke PPG gears in a transmission with blast plates installed with less than 500wtq. The stock six speed seems to handle more power then even the toughest built 5mt, so for anyone going for big power it's really a no brainier.

On top of that, the differentials, hubs, and bearings that go with the six speed are better.

Hey man, I am from the Mass area, and would NOT recommend ESP... there are some really great shops in the Massachusetts area including the following:

Dent Sports Garage - Norwood MA
    Kiazen Tuning - Acton MA
    Bren Tuning - Worcester MA

Also Robin is incorrect about the HP rating on Albins and PPG Gears.... the helical cut gears may be strong in essence but they wear down with heavy friction..... they only rate for about 450whp.... but the PPG straight dog cut gears are good for 650whp if you forget about what they are claiming for rating. I have had zero issues with PPG dog cut gears.

Also if you are looking for top end an elongated 6th gear is really the money spot. I wish i built a 6spd but for the time being my 5spd will suffice. If you want to give a dog cut gear a whirl give me a call you are just a hop skip and jump from me.
    Rambo ~ I scratched off my VIN plates. Weight savings.

Quote Originally Posted by xcelerated010026 View Post
    why does it seem like everyone would rather have the stock sti trans then a purpose built 5spd capable of handling 600++hp??
    Because first is too damn short and second is too damn long.

Quote Originally Posted by BoostandLow View Post
    Hey man, I am from the Mass area, and would NOT recommend ESP... there are some really great shops in the Massachusetts area including the following:
    Did you have a bad experience with ESP or have you just done work with the others?? I would be interested in checking out your car!

Also Robin is incorrect about the HP rating on Albins and PPG Gears.... the helical cut gears may be strong in essence but they wear down with heavy friction..... they only rate for about 450whp.... but the PPG straight dog cut gears are good for 650whp if you forget about what they are claiming for rating. I have had zero issues with PPG dog cut gears.

Ehh.. I'm not going by ratings, rather the actual power that I've seen people break them at. Of course it all comes down to how it's driven, but nothing can change the fact that I've seen people sheer the teeth off of straight cut PPG gears with less than 500wtq at the track. For most people it's not an issue, but when you really get down to it the six speed is just stronger.

Also, the strength of the gears isn't the only thing to consider. Many people end up breaking the WRX differentials.. usually the rear r160 goes, but I was recently talking to someone who destroyed the pinion gear in the front diff with his car only putting down 460wtq.

(it also depends on the dyno when you're giving ratings.. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a car that put down 450wtq on the dyno I'm used to using put down over 600whp on a different dyno)

I am not usually one to correct people unless I see false information. I have only seen blown built trannys by those who install them incorrectly or don't use the proper fluids. Granted my PPG gears will only have 550-600whp but I have zero fear that the power I throw down will cause any issues whatsoever.

I personally haven't used ESP however, I do know 3 people who have used them within the past 6 months and will never go back.

I am not usually one to correct people unless I see false information. I have only seen blown built trannys by those who install them incorrectly or don't use the proper fluids. Granted my PPG gears will only have 550-600whp but I have zero fear that the power I throw down will cause any issues whatsoever.

Yeah, most people will never have an issue with them (as long as their installed and maintained correctly). But if you're drag racing on a weekly basis, with Hoosiers or some other good drag slick, on a well prepped track, then they PPGs can and will break. It's been shown time and time again that the six speed is stronger. People break axles all the time too, but nearly all of the broken axles I have seen were on cars with the six speed because if you're launching hard enough to break an axle usually the 5mt will flex, and it doesn't matter how strong the gears are, if they're not meshing correctly they will shear off.

I personally haven't used ESP however, I do know 3 people who have used them within the past 6 months and will never go back.
    Well thanks for the info, I actually heard about ESP from someone on here saying the where reputable. But I've emailed Kiazen Tuning for a 2nd opinion on the build up for my wrx from looking at their web site they seem to know their stuff! Thanks!

ya no worries man... Kiazen Tuning is a great shop with a price tag. Dent Sports Garage is cheaper in Norwood for close to same quality

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.