Clutch Replacement Advice and Opinion Wanted

This is a discussion on Clutch Replacement Advice and Opinion Wanted within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey, hows everyone doing? I've been really going back and fourth on what clutch kit to get for my 2002 ...

Clutch Replacement Advice and Opinion Wanted

Hey, hows everyone doing? I've been really going back and fourth on what clutch kit to get for my 2002 WRX, current clutch is stage 2, installed by the old owner and is slipping pretty hard. I've read plenty of threads on this topic but I could really use some extra feedback. Is the Exedy OEM Replacement worth putting in, or should I go with a stage two, was looking at Competition Clutch Kit and their price is is my ball park. The car itself is mostly stock, has a Perrin down pipe, and a custom straight back exhaust. I feel like I'm wasting money on labor costs just putting the OEM in, but my main goal is keeping this car on the road as long as I can, having the fastest car isn't the focus, bought the WRX because its sexy and is fun to drive =). Thank you for your time and responses.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    OEM parts are OEM for a reason in my view.

"Aftermarket" parts are called "aftermarket" as a euphemism. The real world is "imitation" but that has a negative tone -- and it should.

If it were my car, I'd prefer authentic parts. I'd go OEM in the case you described. I'd not consider it "just putting OEM in" but I'd consider it "putting OEM in and not an imitation" but that's just me.

Since your car is unlikely exceeding the torque capacity of the correct, OEM clutch, I'd use that. Others may have different views. In any case, either the car was making lots more torque once upon a time or it was driven hard once upon a time, because it's now on its third clutch, and the first clutch was a great OEM unit to boot.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt and consider my disclaimer in my signature. Happy shopping.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

You're at basic stage 2 powerwise.

An Exedy OEM clutch would be perfectly fine for your application, and what I'd do as well if this were my situation.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Thanks for the advice, It's probably in my best interest to listen to a Jedi haha thank you again.

Ive heard nice things from a coworker who has one in his bugeye. ill be putting mine in after income tax

Yah I've read a good amount of nice reviews on the Exedy OEM kit, just always lived by you get what you pay for, but my budgets not what it used to be, in a few months I'll be officially a dad haha

Just go with the Exedy OEM replacement that will keep the car on the road the longest. You don't want your clutch to be the strongest part of your transmission; you want it to be the weakest part or your gears could fall victim to abuse.