Need as much help as possible.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need as much help as possible. within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have a very dear friend that served overseas in 03 and 06. In 06 he lost his leg ...

So I have a very dear friend that served overseas in 03 and 06. In 06 he lost his leg to a deep impact IED. His wife, has reached out to me and has asked if it was possible to turn a newer WRX or STI hatchback into an automatic for him.

I wasn't sure if I could take an impreza tranny out of a newer car build the tranny up and do a swap.... has anyone ever considered this? I would really like to make his dreams come true.

All positive feedback would be amazing. Lets not be a rude on this one he is an amputee and driving stick is not an option.
    Rambo ~ I scratched off my VIN plates. Weight savings.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think it may be possible, but will probably require more work than just a straight swap.

I would start by contacting some shops that specialize in subaru, and then also have him talk to the VA about helping convert his car. I know they do that in certain situations for wounded warriors that are service connected.

I Support ClubWRX
    Impreza GT

Auto transmission from the factory. Retained the TD04 turbo from '08 WRX, but it would be cheaper to get him a used VF52 and swap it in than to screw around with the transmission.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Contact Subaru. Who knows, as a good well gesture, they may be willing to help. It can't hurt to ask. What a great PR move if they did.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan
    Contact Subaru. Who knows, as a good well gesture, they may be willing to help. It can't hurt to ask. What a great PR move if they did.
    In 2009, the automatic WRX was renamed the Impreza GT (and retained the '08 turbo). Because of the lack of demand for the car (between the auto transmission and the reduced power output), the OP should be able to get one at a pretty decent price, if they shop used...

UNYSOC

Great information so far guys, thanks so much. I'll do some more research tomorrow. I'll also send out an email to public relations of Subaru see if they can figure anything else out.

once i swap my turbo, you are more than welcome to the stock one out of my 09 in order to help.

Tell her to look into the evo mr. Or an audi tt with the dsg tranny. Both of those are around the sti price range. And come with pretty trick dual clutch transmissions.

Japan has an automatic STI. Maybe you could import the tranny but some modification would be needed becuase they still use the EJ207.
    STIzzy!

Well I appreciate the ideas endless but he is a previous STI owner and all he wants is another STI. The Evo wont be an option for him. I did send out a nice email yesterday to the customer relations as well as a local shop here in Mass to see what we can figure out. So maybe they will get back to me sooner then later.

Well, 2hrs on the phone with some really wonderful people at Subaru. They said as long as he bought 13' there is a handicap special order that can be placed for WRX/STI... so I should be expecting some paperwork in the mail for the next few days. Ill try and scan it to get it up here asap.

I Support ClubWRX

That would be helpful to others bets also. Good idea.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by BoostandLow View Post
    Well, 2hrs on the phone with some really wonderful people at Subaru. They said as long as he bought 13' there is a handicap special order that can be placed for WRX/STI... so I should be expecting some paperwork in the mail for the next few days. Ill try and scan it to get it up here asap.
    wow thats great! hope everything goes well with this Adam!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostandLow
    Awesome!

UNYSOC

That's great you are on to something Adam.

I read this thread awhile back years ago...not sure how much of this is still viable though. But read through and maybe you can get some good ideas:

Special Thanks To Cobb Tuning - NASIOC
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.