Differential REtaining Clip Problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Differential REtaining Clip Problem within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok this is all copied from nasioc..... but it describes the problem im having, and noone seems to be able ...

ok this is all copied from nasioc.....

but it describes the problem im having, and noone seems to be able to help with this... even tranny shops dont know how to fix this
    But im in great need of the CLUBDUB Family so any ideas are helpful

First post

have a problem putting power down in my wrx.. we think it may be the differential snap ring or whatever.. when i got on the gas this morning on the way to work, if i jumped off it quick.. i would hear a clunk in the rear end. after it did this a few times, i would experience a hard time putting power down... it would spike rpm wise, but no forwards motion would result. i would have a hard time going away from stop lights, hills were a problem.. and i would hear a funny noise from my clutch.. the same noise i got when it let go at nccar. funny grumbling noise..
    but it is intermittent... it worked fine for a few days. then it acted up again.the clutch is new.

Second post

Check that your one of your axles hasn't popped out. This sounds almost identical to the issue I was having. Turned out that the driver side axle would pop out on occasion, and Id get a weird vibration, grumbling noise. I drove mine for a week or so with it doing this and ended up replacing the viscus clutch in the transmission, rear drivers side axle, and swapped the rear end out with another as the end of the drive shaft was all chewed up and figured the differential was also damaged inside. I now know there is a TSB about the axles popping out.
    I hope you caught it soon enough and didn't do what I did.

Third Post(This is quoted directly from a paper i recieved with my new clutch)

SOURCE: Subaru Tech Tips
    TITLE: Clutch Appears to Be Slipping
    APPLIES TO: Impreza WRX
    SERVICE TIP:
    If you encounter an Impreza WRX with a customer concern that the vehicle's clutch slips under hard acceleration but drives normally under light acceleration, it might not be the clutch that's the problem. Before you yank the transmission to get to the clutch, put the car on the lift. Start the engine and put it in gear. Release the clutch and see if all four wheels are turning. If they are not, inspect the one that is not turning. The Technical Support Line has received a couple of calls with the above concern and in both cases the retaining clip on the inner end of the rear axle shaft has come off. This allows the axle shaft to move outward slightly to disengage from the side gear of the rear differential but, the wheel bearing retainer assembly will not allow the axle to come out completely. Since these vehicles have a limited slip rear differential, there is enough drag on the axle to move the car under light acceleration but not under heavy acceleration.
    The repair is simple. Just push the axle inward and it should reengage the retaining clip. If this procedure does not work, then you will need to remove the rear differential cover to re-install the clip and/or examine the axle. If the vehicle is an Impreza WRX STi, you might find that the vehicle won't move unless the DCCD is in the 'Manual' mode. In this case the cause may be a failed rear axle shaft or joint assembly

FInal Post

im having the same problem right now, i spent 400 on a clutch and 200 on a flywheel, and 800 to get it put in the problem was still occuring, we put it on a lift 3 tires spun just fine, except the front drivers side it would spin then stop slowly spin then stop, so i know its not connected i got the same tech tip paper with the clutch i bought but that on refers to the rear differential, how do i reengage the front retaining clip?
    i need help guys really bad, thgis is my families only means of transport, and im spent on cash right now, any ideas? ive done as much research as i can, cant find anything on the front differential retaining clip

Please Help,
    thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

and just to add
    the shop said it was the front differential, but then again this is the same shop that made me bring them the paper i recieved with the clutch describing the retaining clip issue they had never heard of it, and then they said looks like there was no need to install this clutch any way haha you just pretty much gave me 800 cash for no reason pretty funny huh?" i was pissed, and now my car is leaking tranny oil, and they forgot to put the dipstick for the tranny back in im so pissed and these people recieved an A++ from the BBB thats why i went to them, but now it still got the issue and its a brand new clutch and flywheel,

i will say this though, the 800 dollars were worth it in the clutch aspect of it, ive never ever felt a smoother shift in any car or a smoother clutch it is like melted butter,

but still im not too happy about all of this

I Support ClubWRX

I don't see a specific question so some comments:

The BBB is a business organization. It is not a consumer organization.

The WRX front diff is open.

Removing an axle from the gearbox should not result in fluid leak.

If you are missing the gearbox dip stick replace it; used should be available too.

When you do as instructed and lift all four wheels off the ground and engage a gear, what happens?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

when it is lifted three tires spin great we put it on cruise control at 20 mph or even idling three tires trun in syncronization, but the front driver tire barely spins at all it nothing at all

I Support ClubWRX

Only if that axle is engaged correctly to the gearbox would I suspect the diff. However if the axle is truly OK then I'd suspect the front diff, yes. It's at that point not something I'd DIY, I'd have a mechanic take it on instead.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

so how would i determine if the axle is engaged correctly? and secondly just to add, sometimes it drives fine, and sometimes it drives terribly, so i dont know what to think like last night drove fine powerful and everything and then this morning, it was back to the rpm spikes and everything, hope that might narrow down a little bit of the advice

AFTER DOING A LITTLE MORE RESEARCH I FOUND THIS....

We had followed the "inspection procedure" of putting the car on jack stands and trying to turn the wheels - all had drag (no free wheeling). Then we fired up and put in 2nd gear and all wheels turned. What we should have done is to apply the hand brake to put some drag on the rear wheels; that would probably have caused the splines to slip. As it was, we used the pry bar to apply pressure to the inner joints (like popping the spline out of the rear differential). One joint was solidly engaged, the other joint moved almost a very small amount (maybe 1/16"). Using a wood block and and hammer we tapped the main body of the joint slightly and then repeated the pry bar test. After the love tap the joint did not move with the pry bar. And now happily ever after. :-)

ANyone care to shed a little light on this procedure

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by RogerSteadman View Post
    so how would i determine if the axle is engaged
    I would compare left and right axles in terms of fitment and play, both rotational and lateral.

sorry if im being stupid today i really am...

but how do i comparte them, jack the car up and turn them both compare the spin and then pull them back and forth? to see if there is any difference in the movement?

sorry bro, i know nothing of drivetrain, i can take an engine apart and and back again lol but im retarted when it comes to drivetrain/tranny

I Support ClubWRX

That's what I might do, yes. Use jack stands and be safe.

as soon as i get home i will do

ANd now after doing even more research on this on nasioc, the re occuring problem a very high number of people seem to be having is that when they jacked the car up, the backl tires would not spin or one of the back tires would not spin, and all they had to do was to by hand or by mallet pop the axle back into place,

but heres my problem its my front drivers side wheel not spinning, i cant find a single utter tip about the front axles...
    any ideas?

I Support ClubWRX

Check that the axle is intact and fitted correctly. Not much else sorry.

There is a spring pin that attaches the axle to the transmission. Make sure it is in place. Get the front of the car safely in the air and rotate the front wheel by hand while looking at where the axle and transmission meet. If the spring pin is missing then get it replaced and see if that helps.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Re: Differential REtaining Clip Problem

Here's the paperwork

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk 2
    Dont buy cheap ebay knockoffs, thats disgraceful to the Subaru you drive, its not a rice rocket, and you're nota Ricer and it has the possibility to be broken more easily. - Roger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast