Transmission questions

This is a discussion on Transmission questions within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi guys i have a 02 wrx transmission is great this is what im running, (blue gear oil) im geussing ...

Transmission questions

hi guys
    i have a 02 wrx transmission is great this is what im running,

(blue gear oil) im geussing royal purple raciing gear oil synraloc or something like that
    exedy heavy duty clutch

now we all know these boxes are weak links especially if your pushing out good power like i am, i never dump the clutch and never launch the car i do spirited driving every now and then, but when im cruising the shifter is weird like sometimes its hard to put in gears mostly 1st - 2nd by the time you put it in second the revs drop heaps and make that jerky change, wondering if a short shifter will make it easier to put in gear i want it too feel more solid and straight in gear would that do it?

secondly - how would i know if i have strengthend gears ? is there a way to tell? second gear makes a loud whine might be common? ( cant be heard from out side)

and if so what is a good short shift im leaning towards this one witht the bushings
    SUBARU IMPREZA 97-07 & FORESTER 98-05 SHORT SHIFTER + BUSHES [SHIFTER&BUSHWRX9707BLUE] - $135.00 : ULTREX PERFORMANCE - BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK IN PERFORMANCE PARTS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Transmission questions

A short shifter is in my view unlikely to fix the issue.

To tell if you have factory strengthened gears chech the gearbox code. To tell if you have aftermarket strong gears take the gearbox apart and measure, but since this is beyond impractical you have two better choices: check the ratios (if they differ from stock, you have proof) or better still forget about it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    A short shifter is in my view unlikely to fix the issue.

To tell if you have factory strengthened gears chech the gearbox code. To tell if you have aftermarket strong gears take the gearbox apart and measure, but since this is beyond impractical you have two better choices: check the ratios (if they differ from stock, you have proof) or better still forget about it.
    oh ok did they come out factory strenghnd? i didnt know that and what am i looking for in the code? i doubt its aftermarket lol the thing is about my car its 02 but late 02 so bassicly i have the wiring harness of a 03 model could this matter in anyway with the box?

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It's probably your gear oil. Switch to Subaru Extra-S. It will most likely help with your gear shifting issues.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.