02 WRX will not always shift into first gear

This is a discussion on 02 WRX will not always shift into first gear within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i got a 02 wrx and went out driving for a little bit today. A cold day of around ...

So i got a 02 wrx and went out driving for a little bit today. A cold day of around 27 degrees. I was accelerating quickly and when to shift into second when my foot slipped off the clutch. There was a bit of grinding so i settled down and put it in 3rd. Later down the road i had to stop at a stop light and found i could not put it into 1st gear period. car off or on. clutch in or out. started going in second and got to where i was going.

I let the car sit for an hour to hour and a half and went to leave. It shifted into first just fine. Not really sure whats up that it would not shift when it is warmed up but will when it is cold. Any thoughts? Also is this something that should be professionally checked out?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Only if it keeps doing it. Otherwise just move on. Shifting into 1 is not my car's strong suit at times either.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yeah it happens sometimes. Reverse can get a little unfriendly as well.
    Find a low-mileage one-owner unmodified '04/'05 and you're golden.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
    Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
    Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Yeah i have always had a little bit of problem getting into reverse. It just takes a little bit of playing or releasing the clutch a little bit and it will pop right in.

I just dont want the tranny to go out, especially since i did grind second, when i am not ready for it to like on long trips to indiana.