SPT shifter bushings?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on SPT shifter bushings? within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi everyone, I'm ordering my WRX today and was considering the spt short shifter but I think I'm going to ...

SPT shifter bushings?

Hi everyone, I'm ordering my WRX today and was considering the spt short shifter but I think I'm going to get it stock then go aftermarket. Now I have read people saying that if you change out the shifter itself and don't do the bushings you will not have the crisp feeling in the shifts. I do not want aftermarket bushings such as kartboy or cobb because I absolutely hate transmission whine....

So I had a question on the spt bushing. Any thoughts on running the spt bushings with a stock or aftermarket shifter? Or will the spt bushings not change anything compared to the stock bushings. Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The aftermarket bushings won't cause transmission whine. The SPT bushings aren't worth the money.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The aftermarket bushings won't cause transmission whine. The SPT bushings aren't worth the money.
    Almost all the reviews I read mention how much noise aftermarket bushings make, are you running aftermarket bushings?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby_rex
    Almost all the reviews I read mention how much noise aftermarket bushings make, are you running aftermarket bushings?
    Yes, and shifter bushings don't really make noise. They may "click" a little bit as it goes into gear, but there isn't a whining like you're afraid of. The most common noise with the shifter bushings is when people overtighten the pivot bolt, which causes it to squeak between gear changes.

The noise you're afraid of comes more from things like a transmission or pitch stop mount.

UNYSOC

Yes, and shifter bushings don't really make noise. They may "click" a little bit as it goes into gear, but there isn't a whining like you're afraid of. The most common noise with the shifter bushings is when people overtighten the pivot bolt, which causes it to squeak between gear changes.

The noise you're afraid of comes more from things like a transmission or pitch stop mount.

Either way the whining noise is only present in low rpms right? Now to correct myself it actually says if you keep the stock rear bushing and change out the front bushings you won't get the noise. I think I'm going to install the short shifter first then once I'm dissatisfied get the bushings. Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    Either way the whining noise is only present in low rpms right? Now to correct myself it actually says if you keep the stock rear bushing and change out the front bushings you won't get the noise. I think I'm going to install the short shifter first then once I'm dissatisfied get the bushings. Thanks!
    There is no whining noise with shifter bushings.

Bushings are more important than the lever. I've yet to have someone row through the gears on my car and not want to do all four shifter bushings.

Bang/Buck order:
    Shift linkage / Rear shifter stay (do both)
    Front shifter stay
    Pivot

Honestly, though, you may as well do all four, since in order to install them, you're right there anyway.

UNYSOC

There is no whining noise with shifter bushings.

Bushings are more important than the lever. I've yet to have someone row through the gears on my car and not want to do all four shifter bushings.

Bang/Buck order:
    Shift linkage / Rear shifter stay (do both)
    Front shifter stay
    Pivot

Honestly, though, you may as well do all four, since in order to install them, you're right there anyway.
    What car do you own if you don't mind me asking? Ill definitely look into all of those though since they're all right by eachother. I just don't want it to be toooo stiff and race car feeling. So really all the lever does is decrease the distance in between shifts correct? Thanks!!

I Support ClubWRX
    What car do you own if you don't mind me asking? Ill definitely look into all of those though since they're all right by eachother. I just don't want it to be toooo stiff and race car feeling. So really all the lever does is decrease the distance in between shifts correct? Thanks!!
    STI. But I've installed these bushings on dozens of vehicles, and have never had an issue with noise or harshness during driving. A Kartboy lever, paired with all four shifter bushings (TiC has a kit that bundles everything together, which would be my recommendation for buying), is how the car should've come from the factory.

Yes

UNYSOC

STI. But I've installed these bushings on dozens of vehicles, and have never had an issue with noise or harshness during driving. A Kartboy lever, paired with all four shifter bushings (TiC has a kit that bundles everything together, which would be my recommendation for buying), is how the car should've come from the factory.

Yes
    Oh dumb me your name says it "EJ257" lol -_-. Yea I'm going to check out the TiC one now. Thanks!!

Yes
    so is there a point to ordering a wrx with the spt sts option and then adding say a kartboy lever and bushings? does it make a difference or should i forgo the factory sts and just get the kartboy? i only ask because i heard that the linkage is different and i didnt know if it would make a noticable difference. thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    so is there a point to ordering a wrx with the spt sts option and then adding say a kartboy lever and bushings? does it make a difference or should i forgo the factory sts and just get the kartboy? i only ask because i heard that the linkage is different and i didnt know if it would make a noticable difference. thanks!
    Noticeable difference in what?

I have no experience with the factory bushings option. I know that I run the factory short throw option as well as the shorter lever from kartboy and all the bushings on my STi. It's worth it.

I did notice a good bit of added whine in lower gears and on decel... but it's probably due to the transmission cross member bushings & transmission mount I added in. Or the pitch stop. Or the group N mounts. Meh... well worth it. Once you feel the car with the newer bushings, you won't give two hoots about any noise it makes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea
    I wouldn't invest in the factory option if you plan on going aftermarket in the future.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Noticeable difference in what?

I have no experience with the factory bushings option. I know that I run the factory short throw option as well as the shorter lever from kartboy and all the bushings on my STi. It's worth it.

I did notice a good bit of added whine in lower gears and on decel... but it's probably due to the transmission cross member bushings & transmission mount I added in. Or the pitch stop. Or the group N mounts. Meh... well worth it. Once you feel the car with the newer bushings, you won't give two hoots about any noise it makes.
    well since we are talking about short throw shifters, i thought it was pretty obvious what i was asking about. lol. here is the same question worded differently

if i/you/anybody plans to buy the kartboy shifter and bushings anyways. is there any point or purpose at all to getting the factory sts port installed? does having both ie the sti linkage w/ the kartboy lever/bushings make for shorter throws and better shift feel vs just having the kartboy stuff alone? can i save myself the $400 and skip the factory sts setup? ive heard mixed reviews about the factory sts option, some say the linkage is different and some say thats its the same linkage just with a different lever, giving only about a 10% reduction in throw, if the latter is the case that makes it a pointless mod if im going kartboy anyways

on a side note the wrx i looked at had the sti sts supposedly. but it still felt like i was changing gears in a mac truck, not a sports car. i cant imagine how god awful the straight factory setup must be
    Last edited by EndlessSea; 12-18-2012 at 09:33 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    well since we are talking about short throw shifters, i thought it was pretty obvious what i was asking about. lol. here is the same question worded differently
    I wasn't sure if you were specifically referring to throw length, feel, or noise etc. There are many factors to a short throw.

if i/you/anybody plans to buy the kartboy shifter and bushings anyways. is there any point or purpose at all to getting the factory sts port installed? does having both ie the sti linkage w/ the kartboy lever/bushings make for shorter throws and better shift feel vs just having the kartboy stuff alone? can i save myself the $400 and skip the factory sts setup? ive heard mixed reviews about the factory sts option, some say the linkage is different and some say thats its the same linkage just with a different lever, giving only about a 10% reduction in throw, if the latter is the case that makes it a pointless mod if im going kartboy anyways

on a side note the wrx i looked at had the sti sts supposedly. but it still felt like i was changing gears in a mac truck, not a sports car. i cant imagine how god awful the straight factory setup must be
    As I said above, you can run both, and I do. It'll provide a slight benefit over just the kartboy lever. The difference is supposedly only a 10% throw reduction from stock, so don't expect a huge change.

Personally, I got the sts thrown in pretty cheap (around $20) so it was a no brainer for me. I wouldn't pay the full price for it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

awesome thank you. sorry i reread my post and realized my question was rather vague. thank you again for all the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast