2013 STI Short Throw Shifter versus Stock
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013 STI Short Throw Shifter versus Stock within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Any opinion on the short throw shifter versus stock? Is it worth the difference to buy?...

2013 STI Short Throw Shifter versus Stock

Any opinion on the short throw shifter versus stock?
    Is it worth the difference to buy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Definitely worth it. But go aftermarket, preferably Kartboy. It is cheaper, has shorter throws & is of great quality. And also get the shifter bushings. The stock ones are worthless.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    The bushings are the more important part - they'll greatly add to the shifter feel.

Are you speaking of an aftermarket lever or the factory option? The factory option actually uses a lever about the same length as the original lever, but uses a shorter shift linkage to move the pivot point and cut the shift distance by about 10% or so. Aftermarket levers are physically smaller levers and normally cut the throw by around 40% I believe.

I used both. I wouldn't have gotten the factory unit due to the price, but I was offered it for a steal of a price.

Just make sure to get the bushings. There are front & rear stay bushings, linkage bushings, and pivot bushings. If you get pivot bushings, I would recommend an aftermarket lever to avoid issues mating pivot bushings to the lever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Yes, the factory option, as I want to stay within the warranty and have the dealership install it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chipset35 View Post
    Yes, the factory option, as I want to stay within the warranty and have the dealership install it.
    I strongly doubt they would be denying any claims based off a short shifter and some bushings. I would strongly recommend going aftermarket for the bushings & additional throw reduction, even if you are stuck on getting the factory option.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chipset35 View Post
    In that case you can also get the SPT shifter bushings.

The short throw is actually a very simple install. The bushings have to be installed from under the car. Would be the better option. They wouldn't have much of an effect on your warranty anyway.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I got the SPT factory installed. And then later I installed the perrin shifter bushings.

The SPT was thrown in the cost of the car, but I would not have bought it for $270. If you really want to keep your warantee, I guess you can do it, but it didn't really change that much.

The cobb and kartboy are both way cheaper (1/2 price) and do a much better job shortening the throw. And i can't imagine a dealer rejecting a warantee claim because of a properly installed STS - I'm sure it happens sometimes, but I don't think you'd want to have that sort of dealer service your car anyway.
    Last edited by TankerTruck; 11-16-2012 at 05:49 AM.

Have the STi STS installed on my 13' wry and notice little if any difference between this one and my stock shifter 05 wrx. If you haven't already and are paying the full price for the STS, I would recommend as well, to go aftermarket. I got mine as a steal also similar to those stated above as they threw it in for free.

perin makes a short throw adapter and they give you bushings with it. The kit uses the stock shifter and the throw is adjustable. I put mine on 2 days ago and so far so good and its a quick easy install. I forget the price but its well under what a whole shifter would cost.

everyone says go aftermarket. and i tend to agree. esp when talking about the base wrx with the spt/sti short throw option.
    but if your referring to an actual sti. then i can tell you the sti short throw shifter option is pretty damn good. i test drove an sti last week while ordering my car that had the ss option. it was hands down the best shifter ive ever used. seriously

but if its the base wrx then i agree go kartboy w/ the bushings

I Support ClubWRX

Re: 2013 STI Short Throw Shifter versus Stock

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessSea View Post
    everyone says go aftermarket. and i tend to agree. esp when talking about the base wrx with the spt/sti short throw option.
    but if your referring to an actual sti. then i can tell you the sti short throw shifter option is pretty damn good. i test drove an sti last week while ordering my car that had the ss option. it was hands down the best shifter ive ever used. seriously

but if its the base wrx then i agree go kartboy w/ the bushings
    Without the bushings, I would strongly disagree speaking from my experience.
    2011 STi Build Log

Do you have any enthusiasts near you? A group or anything? If so possibly someone has them installed and will let you at least move the shifter and get a sorta feel for it?

I installed the Cobb SS and Kartboy bushings after owning my 2013 a week. I came from a 3000gt with a short shifter already so it wasnt too much of a difference for me with the ss, but the bushings were something I wasnt expecting. They make it almost more, I dunno the proper word, heavier? to shift.

With the stock bushings the shifter moved effortlessly, albeit mushy feeling. After installing the bushings it almost puts a struggle up, but in a good way, if that makes any sense at all. It took me about a week or two to get used to it, but now I cant imagine not using it. A few of my buddies tried it out, a few decided maybe the bushings werent for them and the throw was too short (I set it to my own preference remember). But on the other hand, some really liked it and at least picked up the bushings.

I have the spt ss in my 2012 STI and it blows. It was part of the car from the dealership. I have a trd ss in my scion and the throw is way short compared to the spt. I'm a little let down. I'm seriously thinking aftermarket at some point.
    Last edited by britt.johnny5; 12-16-2012 at 10:48 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    i got the sti sts put in my car when i bought it as part of the deal, i cant compare it to stock since i started with it, but for the price i would go aftermarket you can probably get more adjustability. to answer the question the short throw is great and im happy with it
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX

Re: 2013 STI Short Throw Shifter versus Stock

Quote Originally Posted by britt.johnny5 View Post
    I have the spt ss in my 2012 STI and it blows. It was part of the car from the dealership. I have a trd ss in my scion and the throw is way short compared to the spt. I'm a little let down. I'm seriously thinking aftermarket at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    i got the sti sts put in my car when i bought it as part of the deal, i cant compare it to stock since i started with it, but for the price i would go aftermarket you can probably get more adjustability. to answer the question the short throw is great and im happy with it
    Or do both like I did

The factory option moves the pivot point by using an alternate shift linkage. Aftermarket levers use just a shorter lever. Using both will give you a yet shorter shift.
    2011 STi Build Log

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.