03 WRX manual trans options

This is a discussion on 03 WRX manual trans options within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Purchased a 2003 WRX with a built Sti motor swap. Obviously the stock trans cannot handle it. My question is ...

Purchased a 2003 WRX with a built Sti motor swap. Obviously the stock trans cannot handle it. My question is did they make an sti 5 speed? Can the internals be swapped? I found a trans from an 03 sti that is for parts only but the internals are good and all there. Aren't all sti's 6 speeds? Thanks for any info. We are somewhat new to this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

STi 5 spd is rarer in the us than the 6 SPD.

If your gearbox works you don't need a gearbox. If it doesn't you can buy three WRX 5 SPD boxes or a single complete STi swap. I'd buy WRX boxes one at a time because by the time you go through them all the chassi may be don anyway. I'd not throw $6K in driveline costs at a car worth $6k. Hope this makes sense.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

3rd gear is out. I just don't want it to keep happening. I guess a heavy duty gear set is the only real option.

I Support ClubWRX

I'd prefer a 6 spd but I'd just put a used stocker in first.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    There is the v5 STi 5mt gearset, that is what I am currently running. Mine is cryo treated and will supposedly handle close to 400wtq. There is also the Legacy GT gearset, which is practically identical to the STi gearset, but is actually sold in the USA so can probably be sourced cheaper. Then there are aftermarket gearsets like PPG or Albins. Those should handle around 450wtq.

But if you want something that can take some abuse then your only real option is the USDM STi six speed. The 07 and newer models have the best gear ratio.

I have an 03 wrx and I recently blew the transmission, I was looking at trannys online and I seen a version 5 tranny from a 98 wrx sti with 4.44 final drive gears. Will that transmission bolt up to everything on my 03?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebaru93 View Post
    I have an 03 wrx and I recently blew the transmission, I was looking at trannys online and I seen a version 5 tranny from a 98 wrx sti with 4.44 final drive gears. Will that transmission bolt up to everything on my 03?
    See:
    Transmission Blew in a 02 WRX

Also I don't recall if your axles are male or female, and whether your widths will be OK; look into that too.