2011 STI 3rd gear rattleing leads to trasmission failure.

This is a discussion on 2011 STI 3rd gear rattleing leads to trasmission failure. within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2011 STI sedan 16,790 miles. The 3rd gear started rattling the shift stick in acceleration and then ...

2011 STI 3rd gear rattleing leads to trasmission failure.

I have a 2011 STI sedan 16,790 miles. The 3rd gear started rattling the shift stick in acceleration and then it had also gotten stuck in 3rd a couple times over a period of 4 days. Then I was accelerating between 35 and 45 mph and had catastrophic transmission failure going into 3rd. Heard a loud bang and it slammed into neutral. Now only 1st, 2nd, and reverse work. I was able to crawl back home in 2nd for 2 miles as it grinded and clunked.

Subaru has it now. However those bastards sound like they are trying to claim abuse to deny my warranty which is complete bull****. They are to bring some engineer in to figure out how it happened. They said some kind of drive line Pin snapped in 2nd gear or something? anyone have any idea? Or know of this problem? Please let me know.

If the occasional speeding (in and STI) is abuse then whats the car made for? casual sunday strolls? I wasn't even speeding when this happened. Its not modded at all, I don't race and I drag race it. I consider myself a speeder not a racer.

HAs anyone had this problem? or heard of it? Please help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did you buy it new or was is leased? these tranny's usually don't fail is why im asking. Anything happen out of the usual when it started.
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

Quote Originally Posted by DiRty Impreza View Post
    Did you buy it new or was is leased? these tranny's usually don't fail is why im asking. Anything happen out of the usual when it started.
    Bought it brand new. The only symptoms I had was the rattling in3rd and 3rd gettin stuck momentarily. Was just going to gett it checked out before it completetly took a dump.

sounds like a syncro, very strange with that low of milage. hopefully its covered under warranty.
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

Sounds like a random failure. The STi tranny can take a beating even with a decent amount of hp.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

I Support ClubWRX
    No manufacturing process is perfect. Sometimes you get the odd one out. Hopefully everything comes back as expected and nobody points the finger at you once they see the inside of the transmission.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Re: 2011 STI 3rd gear rattleing leads to trasmission failure.

Remove.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I'm still waiting on what they say. I'm crossing my fingers because I don't want to battle I just want my baby back. I'm screwed if they don't honor the warranty.

pdate Subaru Service manager called back today. I'm in the clear. Subaru will pay the bill on this one. Sighting no abuse. They wanted 2 invoices for proof of oil changes. Not sure why , it has nothing to do with the transmission. Anyhow got them printed out. I'll still update this when the repair is done and I have list of what was actually replaced or rebuilt. phew

Good to know. Any power mods done to the car?
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    Good to know. Any power mods done to the car?

None. Good thing I've been to broke to do a damn thing otherwise I'd be 10x worse financially. I think ill play it safe and go the stock route until the warranty runs out.
    Honda's are like tampons. Every PU_C has one.