Grinding noise when decelerating in 3rd and 4th. Goes away in neutral.

This is a discussion on Grinding noise when decelerating in 3rd and 4th. Goes away in neutral. within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought my 04 wrx used with 80k miles. Ive been driving it for a few days and have ...

Grinding noise when decelerating in 3rd and 4th. Goes away in neutral.

I just bought my 04 wrx used with 80k miles. Ive been driving it for a few days and have noticed this slight grinding noise when going downhill or just letting off the gas. I cant hear it over the radio so its not a big deal. But this morning (its like 35 outside) I let the car warm up for about 5-8 minutes but when i was driving it, the grinding noise was incredibly loud and even when i shifted gears it made the sound. But on my drive back from dropping off my sister (only like a 10 minute drive) it went back to its slight grinding noise just when decelerating.

My dad has worked on 2 wrxs the same year and said hes heard the noise is those 2 wrx also. But this morning just scared me a bit til it randomly went back to normal again.

If it helps at all the clutch is new and resurfaced flywheel but it sounds more coming from the center of the car.
    Last edited by patriotfan11; 11-08-2012 at 06:31 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Pretty normal, these transmissions we have are noisy. I have a little rattle in the shifter when decelerating when in 3rd gear. Do you have this as well?
    2007 WRX Wagon - Maddad Whisper Dual Tip, Swift Wagon Springs, KYB Excel-G Shocks
    2004 Acura TL - 6 Speed - Stock
    1998 Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible - Modified
    Display of Speed

hows the trans fluid? the trans do kinda whine and make funny sounds but no car should sound as if its grindinggg

New trans fluid. Its more of a ticking not so much grinding. Its hard to explain.

It makes a noise that I dont normally hear on my civic. My dad says im just getting used to the sounds of the wrx which he says hes heard the same noise in the other 2 wrxs that come to his shop.

Ticking is odd. If you hold the shifter with your hand on deceleration does the sound go away?
    2007 WRX Wagon - Maddad Whisper Dual Tip, Swift Wagon Springs, KYB Excel-G Shocks
    Display of Speed

Rattle, thats the correct word for it. And when its in neutral is disappears. And no just holding the shifter doesnt silence it.

Quote Originally Posted by patriotfan11 View Post
    Rattle, thats the correct word for it. And when its in neutral is disappears. And no just holding the shifter doesnt silence it.
    Hmm, thought maybe the same issue I have. If I hold the shifter the rattle goes away.
    Display of Speed

car noises suck. on my jeeps id just add it to the list of known noises and rattles lol

I hear ya. These trans are darn noisy. When I changed the fluid to Motul it seemed to help a little, but then came back. Curious about that Cocktail mix everyone over at Nasioc seem to rave about.
    Display of Speed