loud pop? Sudden clutch worn out after failed burn out : (
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on loud pop? Sudden clutch worn out after failed burn out : ( within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone, Im new to this forum. Well not new but I've never posted anything. Im pretty sad because something ...

loud pop? Sudden clutch worn out after failed burn out : (

Hey everyone, Im new to this forum. Well not new but I've never posted anything. Im pretty sad because something happened to my car this past weekend. I kinda tried doing a spin out (Im dumb I know it). Since it has dope traction, It was really hard. Suffice to say I heard and felt a pop underneath the car. After that I smelled and still smells like clutch. The car has very little traction now. It behaves like if the clutch were totally wasted. I've had a crx, a hatch and a teggy and they acted the same when the clutch was worn. Does anybody have any ideas as to what it might be? It does act like if the clutch were worn. But up until this weekend and my dumb failed burn out the clutch was fine. Also the loud pop seems like something well pop out. Im able to drive but it only moves slow speeds and it 3 an 4th. Any help guys will be much obliged. I have nooooo idea about subies. I've always had hondas so Im clueless. Help.
    Last edited by red05subie; 11-06-2012 at 09:48 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by red05subie View Post
    I have nooooo idea about rubies. I've always had hondas so Im clueless. Help.
    The only thing I know about rubies is that they are red, pretty, and don't buy the lab created ones.

Oh, and you blew your trans and clutch, duh. Perhaps the car with the dope traction isn't for you.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If anyone ever wonders why Subarus got a bad reputation for "weak transmissions," here is irrefutable proof it came from the Honda scene.

What is torque?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

When you have dope traction and abuse a tranny...it blows. Welcome to ClubWRX!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    When you have dope traction and abuse a tranny...it blows. Welcome to ClubWRX!
    maus hates abused tranny's, says theyre always crying as he recieves personal favors.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Perhaps the car with the dope traction isn't for you.
    this is gold.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    What on earth is a teggy?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    If anyone ever wonders why Subarus got a bad reputation for "weak transmissions," here is irrefutable proof it came from the Honda scene.

What is torque?
    Torque is a 300lb love machine.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    What in earth is a teggy?
    The section of skin between an elephants testicles and p3nis.

Dang we got grammar nerds here hahaha j/k. But putting all the sarcasm aside, you really think I blew the transmission? I just drove it this morning up like 3 blocks to go drop off my nephew to school. Conventional wisdom would say that "blowing the transmission" means the car would not move at all. If a transmission is blown doesn't that mean that the power from the motor will not get transferred to the wheels? I press the gas pedal and that clutch is not grabbing fully. You hear the grinding and scraping and If I don't upshift it starts smoking. Obviously its impossible to know exactly what the problem is just by an awesome dude describing the prob. Since I haven't taken it to a mechanic yet I figured I try here first.

It all depends how many teeth you ripped out of the gear in the transmission. It's possibly, and would be very lucky, if you did just fry the clutch. Usually a "pop" sound results in a shredded gear.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

A teggy is what they call integras......the honda heads.

post some pics of your subie and previous cars

Oh ok dude, thank's very helpful thanks. That make's a lot of sense. I guess its either one of those problems huh? To be honest I never knew the clutch can be fine and suddenly be fried or wasted the next. I think you might be right on the shredded gear on the tranny. It's bummer if it is. How much do you think a used wrx 5spd tranny goes for?
    Last edited by red05subie; 11-06-2012 at 10:31 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by red05subie View Post
    I press the gas pedal and that clutch is not grabbing fully. You hear the grinding and scraping and If I don't upshift it starts smoking. Obviously its impossible to know exactly what the problem...
    Umm... you just stated your clutch is slipping and smoking, and that your transmission is grinding and scraping. What other evidence do you need that your transmission is toast, parts falling on the ground?

Stop driving the car immediately, there's no sense in risking other damage. Have it flatbedded to a reputable Subaru shop post haste. Hate to say it, but I think you probably have a rather hefty repair bill coming your way.

Best of luck on getting it fixed, and hopefully you won't be trying any more "spin outs". Welcome to the forums.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

It sucks for me huh? Yeah I suspect your right and my tranny is toast. I hate lugging around in my gas hog navi. Im not giving up on it cause it did kick ass prior to this little mishap. Does it make sense to just put in an sti tranny? Or is that just stupid? Everything on the motor is stock.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast