Kartboy shifter+bushings 2013 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Kartboy shifter+bushings 2013 WRX within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am in the process of ordering the Kartboy short shifter and bushings. However I still am unclear about several ...

Kartboy shifter+bushings 2013 WRX

I am in the process of ordering the Kartboy short shifter and bushings. However I still am unclear about several things AFTER searching around for a while.

Car is a 2013 WRX and came with the optional OEM STi short throw shifter:

1. Can I order the normal short shifter+bushings for the 08+ WRX on the kartboy website even though I have the OEM STS? (Will it fit?) I have read somewhere on here that if you have the OEM STS the linkage is different and you need to order a thinner shifter?

2. Will I notice a big difference between OEM STi STS and Kartboy STS or should I just order the bushings?

3. Can I do the install myself with just ramps?

4. My tranny whines like crazy in 2nd gear (low RPM) even more when slowing down. Also when I take my foot off the gas the car feels jerky, almost like it's going to stall. I read that this was normal but are the symptoms more severe because of the OEM STi STS?

Any info/advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ill answer to the best of my knowledge, I did this to my 2013 recently.

1. I do believe they will fit. If I read or hear diff I will edit post.

2. One may be shorter throw than the other, but I would stay with the OEM one, save money, you may pay the 110 dollars for something you will most likely not notice.

3.Yes, I did in my drive way with jack stands. I moved the heat shield out of the way best as possible, removed the bolts in linkage, pulled down as far as I could and spent around 20 minutes shoving out the front bushing..........PITA.......the rear was much much easier.

4. Mine does the same...I heard a new tranny mount will fix this...how true I dunno. I always get the feeling mine will stall out unless I tip a bit heavy into the gas at times when taking off. Referring to the stalling feeling.
    Last edited by jilty; 10-31-2012 at 09:44 PM.

1 Yes, the bushings are same for 08+ regardless of linkage
    2 Yes.. especially with the spt short throw linkage
    3 Yep.. definitely. I speak from personal experience.
    4 that has nothing to do with your shifter and all to do with driveline lash. Subaru trans sound like 4x4 truck trans.. its just a quirk of the car. fyi, the sts bushings will add nvh, Install a Group N trans mount and the nvh will jump considerably. Dynamat helps and I highly recommend it.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Also, and im sure you already knew this, but never hurts to have a reminder. Make sure if you use ramps to chalk the wheels with blocks or wood, because you def cant have the car in gear and I wouldnt put my life in the hand brakes hands.

Thanks for the quick responses! Could you elaborate more about "Dynamat"? I have never heard of this

Quote Originally Posted by jilty View Post
    Also, and im sure you already knew this, but never hurts to have a reminder. Make sure if you use ramps to chalk the wheels with blocks or wood, because you def cant have the car in gear and I wouldnt put my life in the hand brakes hands.
    Thanks for the reminder!

Dynamat is basically insulation. Noise dampener, helps keep the noise either in the cabin, like music, and out, like outside vehicle noise, like the tranny whine. Ive never done it personally, but its like a stick tape i think, and you lay it against the bare metal, under the carpet. I mostly know about it from putting it on older cars firewalls, or trunks of cars with subs and stuff.
    Last edited by jilty; 10-31-2012 at 10:01 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.