Blown Transmission

This is a discussion on Blown Transmission within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so about a week ago i was driving my 06 sti and blew a whole in the transmission not really ...

Blown Transmission

so about a week ago i was driving my 06 sti and blew a whole in the transmission not really sure how it happened because at the time i wasn't beating on it, but that's besides the point. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to get a good one because I went to a shop and they told me it would be 7k just for the new transmission. I'm newer to working on sti's and this is the first one i have owned and only have had it about 6 months or so. I was thinking about buying one off of ebay, but i wasn't sure what i should be looking for in one and not sure what version i should be looking at to put into my sti. Any help or information that you guys can provide would be much appreciated. Because i was told a rebuild was out of the question because of the whole.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you actually blew a hole in the casing, then yeah, you need a new one.

Ebay isn't a bad source...just make sure you pay attention to all the fine print and keep track of the seller's reputation. Also poke around the Nasioc and IWSTI classifieds. You could come up with something cheaper there. Try and keep an eye out for any transmission from an 04-current STI (and even JDM 6-spds if you want)...they should all just bolt right up since you don't need all the knuckles, driveshafts, hubs, etc.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    If you actually blew a hole in the casing, then yeah, you need a new one.

Ebay isn't a bad source...just make sure you pay attention to all the fine print and keep track of the seller's reputation. Also poke around the Nasioc and IWSTI classifieds. You could come up with something cheaper there. Try and keep an eye out for any transmission from an 04-current STI (and even JDM 6-spds if you want)...they should all just bolt right up since you don't need all the knuckles, driveshafts, hubs, etc.

hey thanks alot so as long as its 04 or newer and the different versions don't matter like 7 8 or 9? and is there a difference between OEM and JDM transmissions