2012 WRX - now grinding when shifting to 5th
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX - now grinding when shifting to 5th within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I now have 10k miles on my car. Right about 500 miles ago on a random normal shift into ...

So I now have 10k miles on my car. Right about 500 miles ago on a random normal shift into 5th it grinded pretty loudly. This was a normal shift at about 2500rpms into 5th from 4th. Ever since then, when the tranny is warmed up, it now grinds. The only way I'm able to prevent it is to shift so slowly, that the rpms have fallen to idle before the synchro will allow me to gently guide the shifter into 5th without grinding. Anything above that and it grinds. I did notice that while cold I can shift into 5th without issue.

So....

I figured the Extra-S transmission fluid I put in for some reason isn't handling the heat anymore and decided to replace it with Motul 75w90 gear oil which was recommended on a lot of forums.

Unfortunately that did nothing. If anything, shifting into 5th is even rougher now with more grinding. All other shifts into 1-4 are perfectly smooth.

When I replaced the fluid, I noticed on the drain plug (which is magnetized) some black slimy goop stuff. The tranny fluid was light brown but this goop was solid black. I wiped the drain plug clean but i'm wondering what this is. Synchro material or maybe fine metal particulates that settled on the plug.

Either way it concerns me.

My next step is the dealer. I'm just not looking forward to them either rejecting the warranty claim or actually replacing the transmission.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would have just brought it to the dealership to begin with.

Why do you think they will deny the warranty claim?
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    It's under warranty, take it in, and be nice.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    I would have just brought it to the dealership to begin with.

Why do you think they will deny the warranty claim?
    I'm not stock.

Intake, TBE, lowered, kartboy shifter, bushings, and group N mount.

I've worked with dealers in the past and some are cool and some are not. I personally don't see how anything I've done could have caused 5th gear synchro to fail. I just don't feel like having to fight them about it.

I could always put the car completely back to stock before bringing it in. Ugh, that would be alot of work though.

I Support ClubWRX
    You could change the TBE and intake and take it in.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Intake and TBE going back to stock should only take a couple hours. If you don't want to pay $3-4k for a transmission rebuild, I'd certainly take that time.

Where are you located? Some dealers are mod friendly, others aren't. I had a buddy who had his transmission rebuilt under warranty on his 05 STI a few years back after blowing the 5th gear syncro. He made it just in time at 58k miles on the car...he was Stage 2 protuned with an EWG putting down near 330whp and they didn't even question it.

If you think about it...a Syncro going shouldn't have anything to do with the actual power that was added by mods, so maybe that's why. But either try it as is, or go back to stock if you don't wanna pay.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

BE UP FRONT ABOUT IT!!!!! Write a letter to SOA. Who installed the Group N transmission mount??
    STAGE 1 IS MORE FUN BUT STAGE 2 THERE'S MORE TO DO

Why write a letter to SOA?

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Subaru of America and explain your concern with the matter on hand. Tell them that you have had a lot of Subarus along with you family and you hope that they will back you and your car. Just remeber**** Subaru love****be nice tho *********** D

Re: 2012 WRX - now grinding when shifting to 5th

Quote Originally Posted by dolson1120 View Post
    Subaru of America and explain your concern with the matter on hand. Tell them that you have had a lot of Subarus along with you family and you hope that they will back you and your car. Just remeber**** Subaru love****be nice tho *********** D
    So your thought is to write to SOA and ask them to warranty a claim that technically doesn't exist yet without it ever even being checked out by a Subaru tech?

Sounds like a solid plan to me....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I've done all the work myself. Mostly before 5k miles were on the car.

Take it to the dealer, have it looked at. Either go back to stock right quick, or don't. If it doesn't work...try another dealer.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    So your thought is to write to SOA and ask them to warranty a claim that technically doesn't exist yet without it ever even being checked out by a Subaru tech?

Sounds like a solid plan to me.... Take in and figure it out duh!!!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Banned

Do you find that its hard to line up 5th gear because i do, and the SAME thing happened to me this morning, 8k miles

Banned

Im all stock too

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast