2012 WRX - now grinding when shifting to 5th - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX - now grinding when shifting to 5th within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by santorex Hey guys, 5th is still a little "strange" to get into for me, and i would ...

Quote Originally Posted by santorex View Post
    Hey guys, 5th is still a little "strange" to get into for me, and i would agree that shifting more slowly helps. Also, I tried double clutching the 4-5 upshift today a couple times, and it went in to 5th extremely smoothly. It felt great! I never really double clutch so I'll need more practice getting it quickly, but I think I'm going to try double clutching into 5th from now on.

So far (after 6k miles) the gearbox and the sometimes shuddery clutch pedal are the two most annoying things on this car, but I think I'll get used to em...
    I forgot to mention the double clutching. That would remedy my 5th gear problem too, but shifting more slowly was an easier option. I never found myself needing to go from 4th to 5th in a hurry.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by santorex View Post
    Hey guys, 5th is still a little "strange" to get into for me, and i would agree that shifting more slowly helps. Also, I tried double clutching the 4-5 upshift today a couple times, and it went in to 5th extremely smoothly. It felt great! I never really double clutch so I'll need more practice getting it quickly, but I think I'm going to try double clutching into 5th from now on.

So far (after 6k miles) the gearbox and the sometimes shuddery clutch pedal are the two most annoying things on this car, but I think I'll get used to em...
    I forgot to mention the double clutching. That would remedy my 5th gear problem too, but shifting more slowly was an easier option. I never found myself needing to go from 4th to 5th in a hurry.

Had a grinding issue with 5th gear as well and boom took it to the dealer, they replaced it under warranty as it was installed slightly off from factory.

did they say what the problem was?

Well, about 6k miles later and mine is starting to get notchy again going into 5th when warmed up. If it starts grinding I'm telling them i want a new transmission or they can buy the car back.

Just to add to this thread, I have a 2012 as well and have noticed this for a while now. I have about 12k miles on the car and getting into 5th gear is sometimes a bitch. I have just accepted it and drive as is. The only thing that sucks is when I race someone and I get delayed going into 5th. It is what it is.
    12/27/11 - Ordered
    01/16/12 - Received
    2012 WRX Hatch World Rally Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbathewhat View Post
    The only thing that sucks is when I race someone and I get delayed going into 5th. It is what it is.
    What about 6th through 18th gears Dom?

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

No trouble at all as by that point I'm running off of NOS as you can see in my picture above. I keep it right next to me so I can turn it off when the cops pull me over.
    12/27/11 - Ordered
    01/16/12 - Received
    2012 WRX Hatch World Rally Blue

its a 2012. meaning your 5 year 60k mile powertrain warranty is still in effect.

IE...take it to the dealer and let them fix it

Quote Originally Posted by commbubba19 View Post
    Well, about 6k miles later and mine is starting to get notchy again going into 5th when warmed up. If it starts grinding I'm telling them i want a new transmission or they can buy the car back.
    So now a month later i have grinding into 5th again after driving for a half hour. Same exact problem that was 'fixed'. I'll be taking it back to the dealer here in the next few weeks once I can easily replicate the problem and will request they replace, not fix the transmission.

So now a month later i have grinding into 5th again after driving for a half hour. Same exact problem that was 'fixed'. I'll be taking it back to the dealer here in the next few weeks once I can easily replicate the problem and will request they replace, not fix the transmission.
    That sounds like a solid plan to me. Hopefully they do that for you.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

So brought the car in this morning. Duplicated the issue with the service manager riding along. He said he would talk to the subaru regional person and figure out what to do. He also had a tech drive it while i was there and the tech also duplicated the issue and requested to keep the car.

4 hours later I got a call stating that subaru wants to only replace the 5th gear and synchro again. Keep in mind that this has been fixed twice already, technically failing now a 3rd time. The original, once when fixed but not really while at the dealer so they tore it apart again and replaced more parts, and now.

I said I wanted to push for a new transmission as whatever is being 'fixed' isn't really fixing the root of what's causing the failure of the 5th gear synchro. The service manager said that unless subaru gives the ok, there's not much he can do except keep replacing parts.

So now again I'm without my car for atleast until next week and since the fix has already failed once, I have a sick feeling it will just happen again another 5k miles later.

I'm very tempted to trade the car in just to not have to deal with this. Another subaru dealer local to me has a '13 sedan premium (which would be an upgrade for me) coming in 3 weeks. Atleast that way I would get a new transmission.

So brought the car in this morning. Duplicated the issue with the service manager riding along. He said he would talk to the subaru regional person and figure out what to do. He also had a tech drive it while i was there and the tech also duplicated the issue and requested to keep the car.

4 hours later I got a call stating that subaru wants to only replace the 5th gear and synchro again. Keep in mind that this has been fixed twice already, technically failing now a 3rd time. The original, once when fixed but not really while at the dealer so they tore it apart again and replaced more parts, and now.

I said I wanted to push for a new transmission as whatever is being 'fixed' isn't really fixing the root of what's causing the failure of the 5th gear synchro. The service manager said that unless subaru gives the ok, there's not much he can do except keep replacing parts.

So now again I'm without my car for atleast until next week and since the fix has already failed once, I have a sick feeling it will just happen again another 5k miles later.

I'm very tempted to trade the car in just to not have to deal with this. Another subaru dealer local to me has a '13 sedan premium (which would be an upgrade for me) coming in 3 weeks. Atleast that way I would get a new transmission.

I'm sure it's frustrating to be without the car, but trading it in sounds like an expensive way to get a new transmission when they're currently replacing parts for free. And hey, it's not like you got the only WRX with a gearbox problem - you could jump into a new car with the same or another equally annoying problem.

Time to look into your state's Lemon Laws.

Ouch. Reading this thread is bringing back memories of when bugeye WRX gearbox issues first started popping up..
    Subscribed. Keep us posted.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast