Wrx tranny problem or clutch ? NEED HELP

This is a discussion on Wrx tranny problem or clutch ? NEED HELP within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2002 wrx and the car turns on but it doesn't move When I put it in 1st ...

Wrx tranny problem or clutch ? NEED HELP

I have a 2002 wrx and the car turns on but it doesn't move
    When I put it in 1st gear and soon as I start letting go of the clutch to take off it makes
    A clanking noise repeatly not sure if it's tranny or clutch
    Also when the car was on nutrual it was stock on gear so yesterday
    I force the car to move it front while me and cousin pushing it
    And once the car started moving oil started leaking from the tranny
    So need help this is my first Subaru and just bought this car a month ago thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Your post is a little hard to follow, but from the sounds of it your car needs a new transmission. When you pull it you can take a look at the clutch and see if it needs to be replaced as well.

Yup I was thinking that but this transmission are hard to take out or are they like every other car ?

It's not that hard, especially if you have a lift. I don't know if there's really anything tricky, I pulled mine with the car on jack stands without looking at a manual or anything. I just started unbolting stuff till it came out.

Alright I Just found out that the center diff is broken but I don't understand that I see people with a center diff an there car are still moving so what I was thinking it could be the center diff an the clutch that's gone

There's more wrong than just the center diff. Center diff going out should have nothing to do with the case leaking.

^^^ what he said. How do you know the center diff is broken? How many miles are on the clutch? How much fluid is leaking from the tranny? Dripping like a leaky faucet, slow leak like a faucet left on low, or pouring out like you're filling a glass of water for a drink?

What led up to this? Did it just start all of a sudden or slowly over time? If over time, what did you notice at first and how did it change to get to this point?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Yeah we put the car up on a jack so both wheels on the left side of the car was up so while it was up I put the car on gear and the car wouldn't move so we moved both wheels frontward and backward and that's not suppose to happen cause thats a AWD car and before like a couple weeks ago a big leak that came of the transmission iccured had this strong smell

I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at, but you should be able to move front/back wheels relatively independently with the car on a lift. Our viscous coupling unit generally allows for more free movement than something like a torsen type differential that would lock.

Of course you said you had just one side lifted, which would be testing the front/rear differentials, not the center diff at all. The front is an open diff on your WRX, so the wheels should be able to move independently driver/passenger.

Gear oil definitely has a distinct odor.. kind of like cat piss.

Yeah but the car was on when I put it on gear it didn't stall out or nothing it just stay on 1st gear and made a little clanking noise while we were moving the wheels I mean I'm about to buy another transmission on Wednesday but I just wanna figure out was wrong first but 2 people came checked out the car and both told me it was the center differential

Who are these people that checked out the car and what is their mechanical/automotive experience? Based on what you've posted so far, I see nothing to indicate the center diff is the problem. As MF posted, viscous coupling will allow for movement. It's exactly how they're designed to work and the whole point of the "viscous" part.

I wouldn't buy anything until you do more troubleshooting and/or give some serious credibility to these other two people who checked the car out.

It would be REALLY helpful if you posted some detailed information instead of just a long rambling sentence that doesn't really make sense like:
    1. Car was fine until 2 weeks ago. I was driving normally around town and all of a sudden started making this clanking noise whenever I drove any speed. The noise sped up/slowed down as the vehicle speed increased / decreased.
    or conversely
    The noise sped up/slowed down as the RPM increased / decreased.
    2. I noticed a major leak from the tranny when I put the car up on a lift. I added more fluid, but every time I put the car in gear, it leaks out very quickly. It doesn't leak unless the car is in gear.

And so on. If you want help troubleshooting something on the internet, you really need to provide good information.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading