Persistently Leaking Passenger Side C/V Shaft Oil Seal!!

This is a discussion on Persistently Leaking Passenger Side C/V Shaft Oil Seal!! within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone, I'm new to the site. I have an issue I'm hoping someone here knows the solution to. I ...

Red face Persistently Leaking Passenger Side C/V Shaft Oil Seal!!

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site.
    I have an issue I'm hoping someone here knows the solution to.
    I have a 2005 WRX Wagon with a manual transmission and about 110K on the clock.
    The problem is that a pretty significant amount of transmission fluid is leaking past the oil seal on the right front C/V shaft.
    About a month or so ago, I had noticed that my inner front C/V boots had partially torn open and were splattering the underside of the car with grease. Then an outer one let go. Since money was tight, I purchased a set of Cardone Select C/V shafts from Rock Auto. Once I actually procured the correct axle nuts (the ones supplied were too large for my hubs), they did fit the car, but then I noticed that the right front oil seal appeared to be leaking. Not thrilled with the Cardones anyway, which were already leaking C/V grease from improperly secured band clamps, I ditched them for a set of Genuine Subaru Rebuilt axles.
    But the oil leak persisted.
    So, at the advice of the dealer, I changed both C/V oil seals. I am aware they are side specific and was careful to install them on the correct side. Results:
    The driver side had never leaked anyway and was still dry as a bone. The passenger side was still leaking.
    My contact at the dealer suggested that maybe I had inadvertently torn the seal during installation, so he gave me a another one at no cost to try. I installed it with no improvement.
    We are both scratching our heads now, because
    1) Apparently these seals rarely fail and,
    2)There really isn't anything else in the transmission that would cause this kind of leak.

Anybody have a similar experience or any ideas? Any suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated. Thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

Persistently Leaking Passenger Side C/V Shaft Oil Seal!!

Is there a bur or other imperfection on the surface to which the seal is impacted?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

As SD_GR said, check for wear or imperfections on the shaft.

Also, if the seal is simply too loose, you can take apart the spring on the seal, clip a few coils and screw it back together to make it tighter....at least you can on most seals.

Take that FWIW though.....I'm not a Subaru expert by any means.

HTH,
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Is there a bur or other imperfection on the surface to which the seal is impacted?
    Hi! Thanks for your response. No, the machined surface on which with oil seal rides appears perfectly smooth with no burrs or pits. I was wondering however if it's diameter was altered during the reconditioning process just enough so that the seal doesn't fit as tightly as it should. I fit the seal on the axle before installation and it seemed OK, though...
    I also wonder if the Cardone axle damaged something........

Thanks Sean. That's an interesting idea. I appreciate the reply!

Have you mic'd the diameter on the right and left side to compare? What about the seal on the other side....it's not leaking, but did it 'feel' as tight when you put it on as the leaking side or did it feel tighter?

Like I said, if it's just a tightness issue, you *should* be able to clip the spring and tighten the seal a little bit....if that's the only issue. Again, this is ASSuming that the seal is designed the way most of them are for this type of application.

Hi Sean,

No I haven't mic'd anything yet, although it occurred to me that I probably should. I confess that I have yet to buy a decent micrometer set. At the shops I worked at in the past they were always available to borrow.
    There was not a specified dimension/tolerance in the maintenance manual for the diameter of the axle surface on which the oil seal rides. However, it would be interesting to compare left and right.
    Thanks again for your thoughts.

No problem....hope you get it fixed quickly.