2012 WRX Transmissin getting notchier as I put on the miles
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX Transmissin getting notchier as I put on the miles within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just wanted to know if this was normal behavior or not because I could have sworn the car shifted ...

2012 WRX Transmissin getting notchier as I put on the miles

I just wanted to know if this was normal behavior or not because I could have sworn the car shifted smoother when new and now the transmission feels super notchy compared to day 1. I wonder if it is time to look into shifters and bushings?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Mine came with the SPT Short Throw Shifter, and my experience is the opposite. I've found that over the last 18 months the units has become much smoother than it was. Maybe its just the STS.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

I may end up with the short throw shifter next. Since SOA is so picky about warranty, I'd probably stick with SPT parts for the time being. OTOH, if I go another route, I am certain this isn't the last time I will void a warranty on something.

I was thinking the same thing on mine. I have 10k miles now and it seems like its a hair on the sticky side.

Re: 2012 WRX Transmissin getting notchier as I put on the miles

Maybe you're just getting used to it, and notice things you didnt at first. My 2010 has 17k and it doesn't seem as smooth. And I'm very easy on the clutch and transmission.

Same goes for the power. Coming from a 99 Ford Taurus, my WRX seemed lightning fast when I test drove it. Now that I drive it every day, it seems slower. But in reality it's all in my mind. Just a thought.

if you do a lot of stop and go driving, and are aound 15k miles, ou may want to try changing the tranny oil.

that helped me out.

i also have stiffer shifter bushings.

subaru super S ftw

change the fluid.. it'll butter up nicely. These transaxles are VERY picky about what fluid they like. So far I've found personally and through lots of reading that super S is the sure shot way to go. Its also OEM approved and provided so no warranty issues.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRex View Post
    Mine came with the SPT Short Throw Shifter, and my experience is the opposite. I've found that over the last 18 months the units has become much smoother than it was. Maybe its just the STS.
    The STS is just a shorter linkage under the car that moves the pivot point of the lever a bit. It's a good idea, but shouldn't have a drastic effect on feeling. For what its worth, you can combine the shorter linkage with a short throw lever for an extra reduction in throw =).

I haven't noticed much of a change over time personally.

Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    I may end up with the short throw shifter next. Since SOA is so picky about warranty, I'd probably stick with SPT parts for the time being. OTOH, if I go another route, I am certain this isn't the last time I will void a warranty on something.
    With the above being said, I would pick up the kartboy bushings over anything. A shorter lever won't help shifting feel much (if at all). However, there are several important bushings between the shift lever and the transmission. I would doubt SOA would give you much trouble about them (provided you don't mess stuff up when installing them), and they are a fantastic mod. Adding in a short throw lever makes for a nice touch at that point since it will already be out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by tesla317 View Post
    Maybe you're just getting used to it, and notice things you didnt at first. My 2010 has 17k and it doesn't seem as smooth. And I'm very easy on the clutch and transmission.
    What messed me up was driving a friend's 370z. His car shifts much smoother than mine does and I think that is what made me realize how bad the stock shifter actually is. Remember, I came from a 2006 Mustang GT and it had a horrible shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by tesla317 View Post
    Same goes for the power. Coming from a 99 Ford Taurus, my WRX seemed lightning fast when I test drove it. Now that I drive it every day, it seems slower. But in reality it's all in my mind. Just a thought.
    I had that same experience with the Mehstang when I got it. At first, I was scared of the power coming from a totaled 2007 6MT Accord. By the time I got rid of the Mehstang, I felt it was really slow and super unpredictable when it came to what the rear end would do in any given situation other than a straight line. While some complain about the WRX, I find that I can predict what it will do in any given situation compared to the Mehstang.

I came from a Honda Fit. I was scared ****less driving it home.... In the night...

Quote Originally Posted by gunz4me View Post
    I had that same experience with the Mehstang when I got it. At first, I was scared of the power coming from a totaled 2007 6MT Accord. By the time I got rid of the Mehstang, I felt it was really slow and super unpredictable when it came to what the rear end would do in any given situation other than a straight line. While some complain about the WRX, I find that I can predict what it will do in any given situation compared to the Mehstang.
    We've been telling this to the mustang lovers that show up here pretty regularly lately. I've been around big hp straight axle cars for a long long time.. and every time I mention they handle like a lowered pickup some stang owner pipes up and disagree's. Thanks for seeing what I've seen and not fearing mentioning it.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    subaru super S ftw

change the fluid.. it'll butter up nicely. These transaxles are VERY picky about what fluid they like. So far I've found personally and through lots of reading that super S is the sure shot way to go. Its also OEM approved and provided so no warranty issues.
    so is this the same thing as changing the diff fluid? or is the trans and diff two different gear fluids that need to be changed. i want to be able to shift nice and smooth regardless of how many miles are on the car. during cold starts its harder to shift but as it warms up its easier at low rpms. that's why i think its a fluid fix and hopefully not shift linkages and forks. but regardless of the fluid beign warm at high rpm it takes it a few seconds before it wants to go into gear.
    just change diff fluid? or flush out the clutch fluid? or what?

Re: 2012 WRX Transmissin getting notchier as I put on the miles

New kartboy bushings should fix problem. Your bushings are probably just wearing

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    2012 SWP 5door Premium!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    so is this the same thing as changing the diff fluid? or is the trans and diff two different gear fluids that need to be changed. i want to be able to shift nice and smooth regardless of how many miles are on the car. during cold starts its harder to shift but as it warms up its easier at low rpms. that's why i think its a fluid fix and hopefully not shift linkages and forks. but regardless of the fluid beign warm at high rpm it takes it a few seconds before it wants to go into gear.
    just change diff fluid? or flush out the clutch fluid? or what?
    the transmission fluid and rear diff are two different things. but they both use the same extra-s oil. Personally, i just do a change, and maybe pour a little bit of clean oil through before i put the plug back. but that's it.

Well I know the rear diff is different. It' just to transfer power to the rear wheels. But the tranny and front diff, or tcase, are the same with our subarus like it is with some toyotas?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.