swapping chevy tranny into my 03 wrx
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on swapping chevy tranny into my 03 wrx within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm on my third tranny now and its only time before i really destroy this one. I'm considering the sti ...

swapping chevy tranny into my 03 wrx

I'm on my third tranny now and its only time before i really destroy this one. I'm considering the sti swap but the price is kinda up there. then my buddy who is a chevy guru told me about this article he saw in a magazine where someone swapped a turbo 400 tranny into a wrx.

Ive been doing some research and i found a company that makes adapters from a wrx block to a chevy bolt pattern. I'm thinking of running the t56 tranny since its a top loader tranny and it would be easier to install than a muncie or a 4speed would be.

My wrx is not a daily driver, mainly a weekend warrior and track car. yes its gonna suck losing the awd and the great 60' times but in the long run its gonna be worth the price and ease of removal and installation.

im waiting on wilcap to email me back on the quote for the price of the adapter and flywheel.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: swapping chevy tranny into my 03 wrx

I'm curious as to what you keep doing to blow transmissions up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

just like any other subaru driver. 7k launches and what really killed the first 2 was missing 3rd and shoving it in between 3rd and 5th. breaking the shift forks.

im putting down 372awhp right now and i know the stock 5 speeds dont handle much over 300.
    Last edited by twintshelby; 09-21-2012 at 05:27 AM. Reason: misspelled words

and my winter build is a 2.5 hybrid build and my hp goal is 500 whp

I Support ClubWRX
    What are you replacing the transmissions with? Have they been built properly to withstand the power you're making?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    What are you replacing the transmissions with? Have they been built properly to withstand the power you're making?
    Well back then. I was at 218whp. 220wtq. Replaced with stock tranny.

With my power level goal, I'm either gonna spend 5k to make my 5speed bullet proof or 5k for the Sti swap.
    Installing a 6speed Chevy tranny would put me around 2500 and I wouldn't come close to breaking the tranny

The rear differential and axles where not made to handle that kind of power all by them selves. There are examples of RWD conversions with stock power levels initiating the rear diff in very few miles.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by twintshelby View Post
    I'm either gonna spend 5k to make my 5speed bullet proof..

Not possible, no matter how much you spend. Even with straight cut PPGs, blast plates, etc, you're still only looking at it reliably holding around 450wtq. The stock six speed is arguably more reliable than the stoutest 5mt you could ever build.

I Support ClubWRX
    That WRX you speak of with the turbo 400 tranny was a member and a vendor here. It was/is Bobby and Jen's (Pre racing in oregon) yellow bugeye drag car. What your buddy didn't tell you is that Bobby also swapped out the rear diff for a Ford 9", tubbed the WRX, removed the back seat and installed a full cage. His goal was 9 or 10 sec quarter miles. He was running a built WRX motor with an FP Red turbo.

If you do a Chevy tranny swap which would be cool, You will need to swap the rear diff too, as that poor little R160 would barely live in AWD form at elevated levels. Options for IRS would probably place you into a built R200 with custom Diff mount and rear subframe. You'd also have to buy befier rear CV axles rated for the torque and that had the correct flange and hub configurations.

I vote Chevy swap because I am interested in the build thread and configuration.

Edit:

What would be completely awesome (albeit a little pricey) would be a corvette transaxle swap with rear suspension and subframe from a C5.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    What would be completely awesome (albeit a little pricey) would be a corvette transaxle swap with rear suspension and subframe from a C5.
    That would be... custom. Why not just dump in an LS engine while you're at it then? You basically end up with a 4-door GTO I suppose.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    I have a soft spot for the Jaguar IRS with inboard brakes.

Since none of this stuff is realistic on a "if you have to ask..." basis, I'd like to throw in my Jag idea.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

add 13" rear wheels from the viper as well
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    That would be... custom. Why not just dump in an LS engine while you're at it then? You basically end up with a 4-door GTO I suppose.
    Sinmply because I like the turbo'd subi motor, and the subi motor has a much lower CG than an LS engine and weighs significantly less.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Just get a corvette

I just asked a simple question.
    Last edited by mycologist; 09-21-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Watch it.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast