swapping chevy tranny into my 03 wrx - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

This is a discussion on swapping chevy tranny into my 03 wrx within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I watched that video..... He's bouncing off the rev limiter and only grabbed 4 gears. Not impressed. No harsh ...

So I watched that video..... He's bouncing off the rev limiter and only grabbed 4 gears.

Not impressed. No harsh anti lag. He has no 2 step. He only grabbed 4 gears.......

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Right, you're at altitude, so the same same car with the same mods makes less power where you are and puts less strain on the transmission. I don't know how misinformed I can be about cars that I've watched being dynoed and watched on the track. The "mexico STi" put down 709WHP on the lowest reading dyno I've seen (baseline for stock STi is 205whp). He launches with aggressive anti-lag engaged and so far hasn't had any issues with the STi transmission. I realize that car at your altitude won't make as much power, but that doesn't mean it will break the transmission because of it.

Mexico runs - YouTube

I'm not saying it isn't possible to break the six speed, but if you know how to drive and you're running drag radials there's no reason you should need anything else unless you're well over 550wtq.

thats no 700hp sti

heres the black sti built by metro performance

Ben's STI outside car running 10.8 @ 129 mph at Bandimere Speedway - YouTube

700 hp and only grabbing 4 gears
    ben grabs 6
    Ben's STI in-car running 10.7 @ 128 mph at Bandimere Speedway - YouTube

Ben Hochman's STI hitting 10.59 - YouTube

I Support ClubWRX
    What does the number of gears have to do with anything? You already said in this thread he had rebuilt is trans with different gears, I'm betting different ratios too. Not to mention the STi trans gear ratios have changed over the years.

Like I said before, you do realize you won't be running even 11.'s without at least some sort of mini tub (max tire width stock is 245), and your 60' is gonna be very slow even compared to stock.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    I think we should wait until this guy does something then Comment, after reading the whole thread I think he will end up with an undrivable heap in his garage pretty soon.

Every time you start to make a sound argument against one of his ideas he ignores the posts or responds without acknowledging the point you made. Then the next post is a new idea that also won't work.

The easiest and fastest solution is the STI swap but he seems dead set against it even after realizing that its not more expensive.
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by twintshelby View Post

You're right, it's not a 700hp STi.. it's more like a 900-950hp STi due to drivetrain loss. The Mexico STi smokes Will's STi on the highway. Will's car only dynoed 585whp on the same dyno the Mexico car put down 709whp, and the 585whp car runs 9s in the quarter mile (on the six speed).

Import Faceoff 4/29/12 - YouTube

Using trap speed hp calculator, if Will's car dynoed 585whp and traps 140mph (full weight STi). Assuming Ben's STi is full weight and traps 129mph, it would only make 458whp on the same dyno. That means the Mexico car is putting down 251 more whp than Ben's car was at Bandimere. That's a considerable amount of extra power (a whole stage two STi more).. still not breaking the six speed.
    Last edited by MainFrame; 09-29-2012 at 10:56 AM.

I still dont see why number of gears matter? was he short shifting to use all six? Why was he bothering to get into OD gears in the quarter mile? What's the final drive? factor STI is 3.9-1 (08+) and if I'm not mistaken its 3.7-1 for )06-07. With that final drive and factory height tires there's no reason to get into OD gears in the quarter.

Dunno, seems to be lots of bs in this thread. I ran a 2800lb rwd car w 2.3T/T5 and 3.36 rear.. never needed to get out of 3rd down the quarter. Fastest time/speed I trapped was 11.7@126. Lack of traction sucks.

Personally I'd stick w awd unless moving past 450-500wtq and willing to completely tub/chop the rear of the car to fit enough tire for traction. Going that far why not just go RWD tube chassis and fit the wrx gutted shell over the top of it. Money wasn't an issue right? Why not go all out?
    Last edited by mangostick; 09-29-2012 at 11:56 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I still dont see why number of gears matter? was he short shifting to use all six? Why was he bothering to get into OD gears in the quarter mile? What's the final drive? factor STI is 3.9-1 (08+) and if I'm not mistaken its 3.7-1 for )06-07. With that final drive and factory height tires there's no reason to get into OD gears in the quarter.

I was thinking the same.. if you're shifting to 6th and not even trapping 140mph+ then you're doing it wrong.

speed per gear USDM STi six speed @ 7000rpm
    7000 36.890 56.477 76.168 99.653 138.139 177.424

I believe it also makes a difference that the Mexico car doesn't redline till 9000rpm, so it should do 163mph in 5th..

Well since all were doin is beating a dead horse....

I've came to the conclusion. I'll just do the Sti swap...

And a watanabe or a ppg front diff spool for rwd

I Support ClubWRX
    Well hell... I actually wanted to see the Chevy, or whatever swap. There is something to be said about uniqueness. Although STi swap does make the most sense. Some uniqueness isn't cool as soon as the novelty wears off, like a twin turbo WRX. You're like, "ohh cool, twin turbos".. then "I bet that cost a lot".. then "hmm, and it doesn't perform as well as a single turbo setup"... and then it just isn't cool anymore.

The main reason is because the bell housing adapter for the tranny would work with a wrx motor in something else than a Subaru. I'd have to make a custom shifter and all that jazz. I'll see how long an r180 will hold 400ish whp.

On another note, I'm getting a block also because I raced my buddies 66 mustang with a 302 bored .030 over and a 210 shot of nos. he won by 4 car lengths. I felt sad for my clutch and my piston rings. Cracked some piston rings and now I have blow by from hell and I destroyed my clutch. I guess when a company says 300whp. Then mean it. Haha. O well. No to start a bigger better motor. not so much boost and a speed density ecu will be with the build this winter.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm done reading this thread.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I'm done reading this thread.
    Nobody said you have to. this thread is pretty much done for anyways.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456