swapping chevy tranny into my 03 wrx - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on swapping chevy tranny into my 03 wrx within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; T56 would handle it. The guy won't build the bell housing for a t56. I'm waiting on a reply about ...

T56 would handle it. The guy won't build the bell housing for a t56. I'm waiting on a reply about the t5.
    If not. I'm going with the w58.

Either way, this is how I see it, say I spend 4k doing this swap, and a Sti swap is 4k, when I break a rwd tranny, I can get the parts or a new tranny for pretty cheap and they are readily avaiable. I break a Sti tranny, I have to wait until I can find a Sti tranny and then drop another 2k and hope its not broken.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You won't break an STI tranny.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    ^^ this.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by twintshelby View Post
    T56 would handle it. The guy won't build the bell housing for a t56.
    I believe Bobby and Jen, the wrx you talk about in your OP, had a turbo 400 with an adapter plate made by Advance Adapters. That should work for your T56. You could always call PRE racing and see who their contact was and what they paid for the adapter plate.

Oh and it is possible to break a T56 from out of anything but the Viper, but the T56 is stronger than the T5.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I believe Bobby and Jen, the wrx you talk about in your OP, had a turbo 400 with an adapter plate made by Advance Adapters. That should work for your T56. You could always call PRE racing and see who their contact was and what they paid for the adapter plate.

Oh and it is possible to break a T56 from out of anything but the Viper, but the T56 is stronger than the T5.
    It's possible to break anything. But I'd be less likely to break the t56 than the Sti tranny

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I could. Sti trannys hold around 375 to 400 safely

I'm pretty sure I could. Sti trannys hold around 475 to 500 safely
    Fixored.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

When I looked up Sti trannys, I found 375 to 400. A wrx 5 speed is around 300.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I know plenty of people with 550-700whp (some over 550wtq) that race practically every week on the STi transmission without problems. 9 and 10 second passes all day long on the six speed.. occasionally they will snap a rear axle, but that's about it.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's possible to break anything. But I'd be less likely to break the Sti tranny than the T56
    Fixed.

You'd break 2 T56's before an STi transmission.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Sounds like you guys are misinformed.

I live over a mile above sea level. A 10 secon pass down where your at is a 12 second pass where I race at.

There's a black Sti tuned by metro performance in Denver who runs 10.7's all day long, but he has destroyed his gears do he has a upgraded gears to prevent it.

So the Sti is not bullet proof. It breaks with 500whp. So I'm taking my chances with the rwd conversion

I Support ClubWRX
    Do you know how hard it is to make 500whp on an ej25? You are talking a giant turbo, FMIC, fully built block, methanol injection, very large fuel system with surge tank. I'd be surprised if you could do it for less than $7000. So if you are gonna drop $7k on making the motor fast, why are you sweating $2200 for a built tranny?

You do realize how hard its gonna be to get past mid 11.'s with RWD right? Your 60' is gonna go from 1.7sec on street tires with awd to 2.0-2.2 sec with slicks and rwd.

Still would be cool.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 09-28-2012 at 07:23 PM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

swapping chevy tranny into my 03 wrx

Umm, sounds like you're misinformed. If that car is a 10.7 second car way above sea level (just like here in El Paso) it is likely a what? 9 second car at sea level? And this because why? Oh, it's because the horsepower rating is higher at a lower altitude. Just saying, since your logic is fuzzy here.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

I Support ClubWRX

swapping chevy tranny into my 03 wrx

I live over a mile above sea level. A 10 secon pass down where your at is a 12 second pass where I race at.

There's a black Sti tuned by metro performance in Denver who runs 10.7's all day long, but he has destroyed his gears do he has a upgraded gears to prevent it.

So the Sti is not bullet proof. It breaks with 500whp. So I'm taking my chances with the rwd conversion
    A 10 second pass at sea level is not a 12 second pass at bandimere.

I'm going to agree with these guys that the rwd tranny would be awesome... If you buit it. But if you don't... It'll be a time bomb.

What size tires would you run in the rear? If they're just 245s or less... Then the wheel spin would make up for the weaker trans, because you wouldn't be able to grip and stress the gears like an awd can.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Right, you're at altitude, so the same same car with the same mods makes less power where you are and puts less strain on the transmission. I don't know how misinformed I can be about cars that I've watched being dynoed and watched on the track. The "mexico STi" put down 709WHP on the lowest reading dyno I've seen (baseline for stock STi is 205whp). He launches with aggressive anti-lag engaged and so far hasn't had any issues with the STi transmission. I realize that car at your altitude won't make as much power, but that doesn't mean it will break the transmission because of it.

Mexico runs - YouTube

I'm not saying it isn't possible to break the six speed, but if you know how to drive and you're running drag radials there's no reason you should need anything else unless you're well over 550wtq.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast