swapping chevy tranny into my 03 wrx - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on swapping chevy tranny into my 03 wrx within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by twintshelby Looking on eBay for the whole setup is close to 4500 shipped. For around 2500, I ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by twintshelby View Post
    Looking on eBay for the whole setup is close to 4500 shipped. For around 2500, I could have the wrx rwd.
    You aren't gonna be $2500 with the T56 and an 8.8. No way. You'll be at $4500 realistically either way. Custom axles alone are gonna be close to $1000. Then you've got a custom driveline with carrier bearing, custom rear subframe to mount the diff and rear suspension, custom trans mount, adapter plate, clutch, traction adding device for the 8.8, wider rear tires and a mini tub, (I doubt you're gonna try to transmit all that power through 215's and 245's is max in stock wheel wells). I'd say $4500 if you were equipped like me and did ALL the work yourself. If you have to pay someone, the T56 swap will be closer to $6000 done right.The T56 while a nice tranny isn't bullet proof in stock form. While it does depend what you source them from, and the viper seems to be the most bullet proof out of the box, I'd put my money in the STi tranny being the more bullet proof of the two.I'm not knocking the swap, I've seen them done and seen subi motors swapped in other RWD powerplants. I have aspirations to do it myself too. But do it because you want to, don't do it under the false guise of saving money, because it just isn't there.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'll swap the whole suspension over and hubs.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll swap the whole suspension over and hubs.
    I'd be damn hard to get the geometry right with the uper strut mounts be configured for a Subaru.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I'd be damn hard to get the geometry right with the uper strut mounts be configured for a Subaru.
    Dont get me wrong. It will be a task, but nothing really new for me. My buddy and ds a back Half frame in his drag truck. New frames rails, 4link suspension full tub and sheat metal the bed. I know tho will be different but it's still the same concept. I have good fabbing skills and my buddy has even better skills.

I Support ClubWRX

swapping chevy tranny into my 03 wrx

I agree. You'll spend more on this than you'd spend on a STi swap. I paid 3750 for mine... Included brakes, hubs, axles, diff, tranny....
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

im taking everything from the 8.8 swapping suspension over to use the ford hubs and axles
    Last edited by twintshelby; 09-25-2012 at 01:35 AM. Reason: oops, already said this my b

im taking everything from the 8.8 swapping suspension over to use the ford hubs and axles
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Updates

I found a guy in Ohio who makes custom bell housings for Subaru motors. I'm waiting on an answer about a bell housing for a t5 tranny, if not. Then I'm going to run a w58 from a 93-97 non turbo Toyota supra.

I'm waiting on a response about the 8.8 irs.

I'll post pics as soon as I get parts and start the tear down process

I Support ClubWRX
    Why the t5? It is weaker than the 5mt, unless you spend big $$$ on a completely custom one.

I still think swapping the differential and using the existing subi suspension and mounting points is the way to go.

It will be damn hard to get the 8.8 suspension right for the car, and you might end up with something that only goes straight. If you want something that only goes straight, stick with a live axle.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

A built t5 from jegs is only 2200 and will handle 600 ft tq. If I wanted a built t5. I could find a t5 from a v8 and that will have a higher torque rating than a typical t5 for
    A 4 or 6 cylinder

I Support ClubWRX
    A built t5 from jegs is only 2200 and will handle 600 ft tq. If I wanted a built t5. I could find a t5 from a v8 and that will have a higher torque rating than a typical t5 for
    A 4 or 6 cylinder
    The T5 from the V8 mustangs, would barely live at stock sub 250hp 250ft-lb of torque levels from 88-98. My friends with mustangs and turbo coupes used to change several T5's a year. At the level you are at, not even a later model T5 is an option. I'd go fully built T5 or not even bother. But with the $2200 price tag for the built tranny and rear diff costs, that STI 6MT swap is looking pretty affordable.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Yes I agree with a 2200 price tag a Sti swap would be reasonable.
    The bell housing for a non turbo supra tranny is 500 shipped. The tranny will be close to 500, and the 8.8 will be around 300 to 500

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    The T5 from the V8 mustangs, would barely live at stock sub 250hp 250ft-lb of torque levels from 88-98. My friends with mustangs and turbo coupes used to change several T5's a year. .
    not to be offensive or anything.. but your friends cant drive. The WC T5 will handle 400ftlb all day long. Make power IN gear, not between em. I personally ran well over 400hp and close to 400wtq through a T5 for quite a while on the street and more than a few runs down the strip on slicks. On two occaisions I broke a CV axle, trans never wavered. I ran that car hard every time I drove it and never had problems with the transmission. (which was sourced from a 93 2.3L mustang) The T5 is NOT weaker than the 5mt.. not in the least and good quality rebuild kits with hardened gears aren't hard to find or anywhere near as expensive as a hardened custom set for a 5mt.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    not to be offensive or anything.. but your friends cant drive. The WC T5 will handle 400ftlb all day long. Make power IN gear, not between em. I personally ran well over 400hp and close to 400wtq through a T5 for quite a while on the street and more than a few runs down the strip on slicks. On two occaisions I broke a CV axle, trans never wavered. I ran that car hard every time I drove it and never had problems with the transmission. (which was sourced from a 93 2.3L mustang) The T5 is NOT weaker than the 5mt.. not in the least and good quality rebuild kits with hardened gears aren't hard to find or anywhere near as expensive as a hardened custom set for a 5mt.
    I disagree. I have personally been in 2 of the mustangs when the WC T5's took a crap, and have helped changed a half dozen. Perhaps yours was just better than average, but I have seen failures from 4 different people with completely different driving styles. 3 guys had multiple fox bodies and had them break at stock and elevated power levels. 1 guy had a 98 Cobra with mid 400's HP mid 400's tq to the wheels and he broke 4 before buying a built one. Another guy blew 3 of them in his 87 Ford Turbo Coupe. Only 2 of the guys ran down the drag strip.

Now the T5 can be built, and since they came in everything parts are cheap, but you are still looking in the $2000 range just for a built tranny.

Granted a PPG set for the 5MT is twice as much, but in the OP's case, he's gonna be at least $4500 with a built T5 and everything swapped over correct. Although he probably doesn't think so now, but after its all said and done and he adds up the final tally, I think it will tell a different story.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes I agree with a 2200 price tag a Sti swap would be reasonable.
    The bell housing for a non turbo supra tranny is 500 shipped. The tranny will be close to 500, and the 8.8 will be around 300 to 500
    Why a non-turbo Supra trans? How is that gonna be any better? Based on the toyota forums, about 400WHP is all they are good for before you strip the teeth off third gear.

So far you have been gonna swap:

* t56
    * T5
    * W58

In stock form none of them are gonna handle the power that you plan on putting down.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast