swapping chevy tranny into my 03 wrx - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on swapping chevy tranny into my 03 wrx within the Transmission & AWD forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by cjm1991 Stick with the t56 and ford 9". Much easier, cheaper, and stronger than any Subaru trans/rear ...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cjm1991 View Post
    Stick with the t56 and ford 9". Much easier, cheaper, and stronger than any Subaru trans/rear combo.I like how your keeping the subi motor, I look forward to the build thread. Don't let knuckle heads that have never even turned a wrench talk down to you or poke fun, they're jealous. Plain and simple, kids like this are at local meets all the time. It's a big problem with import drivers/enthusiast. There's a few people on here that are actually knowledgable instead of parrots that just repeat what they've heard the past couple months, ignore the others. Try to find a member who has done the swap to find the pros and cons, although loosing AWD is the only downside I see if you consider it one. You won't be able to break the 9" or t56 under 500rwhp even launching at 7+k rpm 100 times a day.
    Who in world in this thread are you talking about? What misinformation was provided?

If you're talking about SD, you're dead wrong. His point is simply that if you are just dreaming, dream big. Because if your coming into this not realizing the basic things that were brought up, you aren't ready to commit to this project.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well for now, I'm just gonna swap the r200 into my car. No need for a 9" yet.

how do you guys think a ford 8.8 irs from a ford supercoupe would hold up?

Quote Originally Posted by cjm1991 View Post
    Don't let knuckle heads that have never even turned a wrench talk down to you or poke fun, they're jealous.
    That's funny, since I know most of the posters personally and can vouch for their abilities.. and common sense..
    Plain and simple, kids like this are at local meets all the time. It's a big problem with import drivers/enthusiast.
    HAHAHAHAHA as if it isn't in any other car community? Hang around mustang and camaro guys long enough and you'll find a good amount of idiocracy. Every car group has that element. Its very much not just the imports. That statement was so one sided and ignorant I almost fell outa my chair.

You won't be able to break the 9" or t56 under 500rwhp even launching at 7+k rpm 100 times a day.
    < myth.. you can break anything given enough abuse. But that combo will hold up to mountains more abuse than others.

I like the 8.8 Idea, its IRS, gear/diff options are a plenty and you can find them at junkyards anywhere (where I'm also assuming OP snagged the holset? Merkur/svo mustang/ 2.3T guys do that a lot and make decent power with them. The 8.8 swap is also popular amongst that crowd as well as the T56.

I've seen some very high hp cars running the T56/8.8 combo and surviving quite well. Wheel hop is the enemy so make sure the suspension is set up correctly and you'll mitigate a lot of the driveline shock. You'll def have to get some custom CV's made up.. and good thing about that is you'll be able to personally spec out the joints, axle shaft diam/material... etc. Expensive, yep.. but I'd really like to see where this goes.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I picked up the holset from eBay.
    My buddy has an 8.8 it's in his shop that he offered me. I might have to take him up on it

I Support ClubWRX
    The 8.8 has been known to handle a decent amount of power, and they are cheap. Mounting it might be a PITA.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    I recognized harvey's dyno from your pic before I even saw "brighton" Like they're saying... your bugeye's R160 R diff won't be able to handle the power. You'll have to do a different rear differential. At the same time you'll have to do custom drive and axle shafts because the rear diff will have to be changed and will have different splines. If your goal is a rear wheel drive car.. then it'd be a pretty cool build. If it's not, and you just want something to hold that power... then think about the STi transmission. I've got 430whp, and I haven't blown the tranny.

Edit: Only read the first page... but ^^ still applies.
    Last edited by Sinister; 09-23-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, but when a guys asking for serious answers and gets B.S ones it's annoying to anyone, then you jump on him for giving a similar reply? I'm on an iPad and really don't feel the need to quote on only a 3 page long thread.

Your crazy mango, unless it's drastically different here. The import guys here are all troll squad street racing punks between 16-25. Theres a few, and I mean few, respectable older guys with 2jz and 13b rotary cars that are seriously wicked machines built by very well educated guys. Now when I go to hotrod/Harley/muscle car shows there will be a couple bad apples who know it all and have done everything you have, only better, just not nearly as many as I see at any import show. Its the sole reason im not at import face off today at my local track. You can't simply discredit my observations considering you have never been too a same event as me. I envy you for having respectable guys with nice imports near you, I wish I had more of that.

Op you said hp goals are around 500, it should be a wicked setup with either the 8.8 or 9, the 8.8 can be found very easily on craigslist or eBay locally for cheap too. Sorry if I offended you by ranting in your thread twintshelby, my original post was after a 12 hour day at work right before I went to bed, I shouldn't have even replied.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

I never said the import scene didn't have its fair share of jackholes.. it does, but other automotive genre's are not excluded. Mustang owners specifically are a bunch of douchebags. And that's everywhere I've ever been, not just here in Va Beach. Including many years of Carlisle All Ford Nationals. (largest yearly ford gathering on the east coast)

I live in a Navy town (read: lots of young dumbass sailors with a regular paycheck and no expenses) and as much as that in itself gets on my nerves (I'm prior ARMY.. I dont get Navy people) there are *******s in every sort of car here. I'll agree with you that the old guys aren't punks like the young ones.. but if you hang around long enough you'll see that there are still pretentious ignorant old farts that think their **** doesn't stink. They're what happens when the punks get old. Even the other old guys dont like em.

and yeah I am crazy.. crazy like a left handed long tailed cat in a room fulla rockin chairs.. so what? Me being crazy doesn't change human nature.

The 8.8 is a good diff and with some creative tubing work/welding and custom axles n driveshaft it will not only fit but flourish in the rear of a WRX.
    Last edited by mangostick; 09-23-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I never said the import scene didn't have its fair share of jackholes.. it does, but other automotive genre's are not excluded. Mustang owners specifically are a bunch of douchebags. And that's everywhere I've ever been, not just here in Va Beach. Including many years of Carlisle All Ford Nationals. (largest yearly ford gathering on the east coast)

I live in a Navy town (read: lots of young dumbass sailors with a regular paycheck and no expenses) and as much as that in itself gets on my nerves (I'm prior ARMY.. I dont get Navy people) there are *******s in every sort of car here. I'll agree with you that the old guys aren't punks like the young ones.. but if you hang around long enough you'll see that there are still pretentious ignorant old farts that think their **** doesn't stink. They're what happens when the punks get old. Even the other old guys dont like em.

and yeah I am crazy.. crazy like a left handed long tailed cat in a room fulla rockin chairs.. so what? Me being crazy doesn't change human nature.

The 8.8 is a good diff and with some creative tubing work/welding and custom axles n driveshaft it will not only fit but flourish in the rear of a WRX.
    Hahaha, I can agree with the mustang stereotype, I have a couple buddy's with fbody cars that think they are the best automobile to ever grace Earths surface too tho so it's more individual than just a car brand. I really do feel like a jerk after reading my post, I apologize. Everyone has bad days, that was one of mine I can't relate to army guys I only know a few, but their very respectable guys who are more a man than I probably ever will be. But that's why they do what they do.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

Every branch has jackholes just like every car genre does.. but you'll find there's more cohesion amongst people that have to rely on each other tightly in order to come home in one piece. I didn't mean to call you out either .. we all have days man lol I'm notorious for it.

But we're digressing probably better we get back on topic.
    Last edited by mangostick; 09-23-2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: mah bad spelling
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    I like tater tots

On a serious note, if you're not looking for AWD, why not sell the Subaru and go with something with a V8 from the factory?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    On a serious note, if you're not looking for AWD, why not sell the Subaru and go with something with a V8 from the factory?

This seems like the most logical answer.. but then again it wouldn't be as unique. On the other hand, the ej motor is not a good platform for big power in the first place.

I like being different. I love the way my wrx looks and sounds. I just don't like how much parts cost to upgrade the tranny so it could be bullet proof. That's why I'm choosing the t56 and and different irs.

Sinister, I talked to Harvey about the swap and he said its worth the hassle. And he's at 450whp and wtq and he has no problems. Looking on eBay for the whole setup is close to 4500 shipped. For around 2500, I could have the wrx rwd.

I Support ClubWRX
    how're you going to get the suspension mated up? Are you going to use stock hubs, and get custom axles?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast